PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Chess Piece (Bishop) - ink & watercolour

Jono
08-25-2021, 05:11 AM
I don't play chess, but have been fascinated by the Lewis Chessmen particularly after seeing them a few years ago at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh.

The 12th century walrus ivory chess pieces were found at Uig, Lewis in Scotland in 1831 and were probably Scandinavian in origin.

For this experimental (just for fun and learning) image:

I used a phone photo (left) taken at the museum for reference
made an ink and watercolour sketch
added some hatching (imported from Affinity Designer) and blended the colours
then blended a grungy texture layer over the top of a contrasting graduated blue background

markw
08-25-2021, 12:21 PM
An interesting experiment there Jono, with a very satisfactory outcome. Like it:cool::cool::cool:

Jono
08-25-2021, 11:24 PM
Thanks Mark. :)

I think at the moment I’m exploring illustrative styles and techniques that I am happy with. Of course I've no idea what that really is until I see it!

I think I could have done a better (or different!) job with the hatching/shading, adding more details and generally just being more accurate with my sketching. But I’m quite impatient, and seem to rush through things - in need of instant gratification?

Conversely many of the artworks I most admire will probably have taken the artist days, weeks or even months to finish, not the hour or two I spend fiddling about!

Anyway, here is the latest incarnation. I think it's starting to look like stained glass!:

markw
08-26-2021, 12:56 AM
Oh yes, this is getting better and better:cool:
And you are right it dose have a strong stained glass feel about it.
I used to work in stained glass long ago so have taken the liberty of putting some virtual lead around you chess man.
Not my best solder joint:o but it’s been a while!

Jono
08-26-2021, 03:31 AM
Hehe, that's great. Nice effect. I've just got to finish off the rest of the window now! :D