PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage Vitae Thoughts

J. Baker
08-06-2021, 02:51 AM
My thoughts on Vitae (trial version)...

HiDPI looks great! This should have been in version 6.
Text snap to the grid as expected now. Sweet!
I'm not sure where the new "Tiled" feature is located.
There's still no snap to center guides feature. See gif link below...
I don't know if I'll have use of a chat feature. Didn't try it.
Windows store only... Booo!!!
I'm guessing no more Windows 7 32bit support?
"Vitae" is a strange name for a painting app. Maybe I don't understand what is meant by this.

http://www.posemotion.com/images/Center Guides.gif

AndyRage
08-06-2021, 11:07 AM
Vitae == Latin for 'Life'

michaelws
08-06-2021, 12:00 PM
What happens if one of my computers on the Windows Store is no longer working? How do I install to another computer instead?

Would still like to see a more real-time opacity control for the tools...like the shift-key for sizing.

Would also like to be able to enlarge the color panel. For some reason, it is pretty small and hard to get the exact hue I need.

But overall it is great! Congrats!

AndyRage
08-06-2021, 01:59 PM
The great thing about having ArtRage Vitae on the App Store is that it doesn't matter if you need to change computers. So long as you're using the same account on your store you immediately get access to your ArtRage Vitae purchase. You dont need to mess with serial numbers, or installers, or member accounts. It's all managed by Windows and MacOS.

If your'e using Windows, you can change the Windows Display Settings and increase your scaling value. The ArtRage UI will scale and use our new HiDPI UI.

Francis Sim
08-06-2021, 08:41 PM
As someone who just purchased Artrage 6 a few weeks ago, it seems that I am now being asked to pay once more for what (for my needs) is almost the same program as I already have. I have tried out the demo version on Win 10, and see no obvious (to me) new features which would encourage me to buy this.

Have I understood this correctly? I personally have no need for a canvas-sharing system.

JMMK
08-06-2021, 08:48 PM
The great thing about having ArtRage Vitae on the App Store is that it doesn't matter if you need to change computers. So long as you're using the same account on your store you immediately get access to your ArtRage Vitae purchase. You dont need to mess with serial numbers, or installers, or member accounts. It's all managed by Windows and MacOS.

If your'e using Windows, you can change the Windows Display Settings and increase your scaling value. The ArtRage UI will scale and use our new HiDPI UI.

Do I have to uninstall it first on the other PC? Or is there a way to have it also on my laptop?

JMMK
08-06-2021, 09:19 PM
moved to General Chat

steph
08-06-2021, 09:28 PM
The great thing about having ArtRage Vitae on the App Store is that it doesn't matter if you need to change computers. So long as you're using the same account on your store you immediately get access to your ArtRage Vitae purchase. You dont need to mess with serial numbers, or installers, or member accounts.

Very bad marketing decision to have your new main windows application available exclusively on the Microsoft Store. Maybe your goal is to try to stop piracy by using a stronger DRM like the Microsoft Store, but I don't think you'll attract new users, quite the opposite.

Francis Sim
08-06-2021, 10:38 PM
As someone who just purchased Artrage 6 a few weeks ago, I have looked in vain for an upgrade possibility on the Microsoft Store. I couldn't find one.

Does this mean that to switch to Artrage Vitae I have to pay once again, and this time full price (when the intro offer has expired)?

Have I understood this correctly?

cow
08-07-2021, 04:39 AM
Windows Store is a complete non-starter for me. Anyone familiar with the Windows Store knows that is absolutely terrible. I would not want any software tied to that account/system as you never know then it'll bug out and prevent you from downloading, updating or even launching programs. I've fought it a few times, ever again.

Do the developers of ArtRage not know how universally reviled, for good reason, the Windows Store is among professionals and enthusiasts? Who do you believe you are appealing to with this move?

Some reconsideration is in order here.

robotbeatrally
08-10-2021, 08:24 AM
yeah I was unable to get my windows store to work on my home pc and my work pc is still windows 7 due to some software I'm locked into that was never updated for 10.

I'm going to have to format my home computer to even purchase it and I'm debating whether I want to bother. -__-

I think probably I'm going to stick to 6, maybe in a few years when a lot of new features have rolled out through vitae ill grab it.

i dont know

hopefully they'll still have an upgrade path and i wont have to pay full price when that time comes.

I dont know maybe ill change my mind and format my home pc and get it through the windows store.

DarkOwnt
08-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Windows Store is a complete non-starter for me. Anyone familiar with the Windows Store knows that is absolutely terrible. I would not want any software tied to that account/system as you never know then it'll bug out and prevent you from downloading, updating or even launching programs. I've fought it a few times, ever again.

Do the developers of ArtRage not know how universally reviled, for good reason, the Windows Store is among professionals and enthusiasts? Who do you believe you are appealing to with this move?

Suppose I buy ArtRage Vitae from the Windows store. (which I did)
Suppose it is fully installed and up and running. (which it is)

What problems, if any, might I have after I turn OFF automatic updating for Windows Store Apps?

cow
08-10-2021, 10:09 AM
Suppose I buy ArtRage Vitae from the Windows store. (which I did)
Suppose it is fully installed and up and running. (which it is)

What problems, if any, might I have after I turn OFF automatic updating for Windows Store Apps?

You might have no problems at all, which is likely. Or you might have all sorts of issues after the Windows Store app itself is updated and decided to mess something up.

If you like the Windows Store, knock yourself out. I'm never buying anything there. But I'm not the average ArtRage customer, because I can tell a PC from a Mac.

Most of our ArtRage customers aren't as technically savvy as the users on this forum. Managing licenses, serial numbers, downloadable installers (different ones for Mac and Windows (you know we have customers who aren't even sure whether they're using a Mac or a PC)), updates, installs. And they will have absolutely no clue if they need to ever re-install ArtRage and have lost their serial numbers, and possibly even changed their email address. Honestly many support queries here turn into Detective Mystery Adventures trying to work out who they are and what they've purchased.

I have a license for ArtRage 6 which I'll continue to use, but never upgrade as long as this new direction is in place. I use other software for painting on my Cintiq that respects my licensing preferences and my ability to install software (Oh noes, it's SO hard - even my 75 year old Boomer dad can install a new program himself and he's rather... unsavvy with PCs). Apparently I misjudged Ambient Design, because this baffling move was not something I'd ever expect to see from any serious company. It's sad, but c'est la vie.

AndyRage
08-10-2021, 11:47 AM
We'll be putting out a bug fix update later this week (all going well!).
If you've turned off updates in your Windows Store you might want to manually check for updates once a week for a few weeks. This always happens when we do a large update - things slip through testing.

runningbull
08-21-2021, 05:10 PM

If I buy software, I want to be able to install it. PCs go bad, hard drives go bad. Being able to install is necessary or I won't buy it. I don't care if it's Microsoft, the European Union, the UN, or the United Federation of Teachers ... none of them care about little old me, none of them is going to get my money and control over my basic needs. I buy software to run it.

I can install Linux on a new PC, or new SSD drive in an old PC, while drinking a coffee. Works EVERY time.

I'm jumping through hoops for 3 windows apps, Artrage being one of them.

If Artrage stops updating a freely self installable version and continues to neglect the Linux market, it just lowers the bar for Krita, or Gimp with an add on, to take over.

I'd rather pay something for the Artrage UI that I know. But I won't hand money the the ghost of Bill Gates.

Come on Artrage - put yourself in the shoes of the artists & hobbyists!

Aledin
08-28-2021, 03:02 AM
I'm confused on what Artrage Vitae is. Is it the heir of Artrage 6 or is there still going to be an Artrage 7 one day?
If so, what is so different in Vitae compared to the Artrage X line and in what way the 2 will differ in the long run?
Thank you

markw
08-28-2021, 05:43 AM
I'm confused on what Artrage Vitae is. Is it the heir of Artrage 7 or is there still going to be an Artrage 7 one day?
If so, what is so different in Vitae compared to the Artrage X line and in what way the 2 will differ in the long run?
Thank you
Hello Aledin,
ArtRage Vitae is ArtRage 7 and is now distributed only via the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store.

My current understanding is that ArtRage 6 is still to be maintained but not developed further.
In much the same way as they have for past obsolete versions of; AR3, 4, & 5.
Andy dose say in his post here that they will still offer support for AR6: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?56269-Artrage-Vitae-Mac&p=538599#post538599

You can find a list of new features found in ArtRage Vitae here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?56263-ArtRage-Vitae-for-Windows-and-MacOS-Pre-announcement-announcement&p=538546#post538546

Aledin
08-28-2021, 04:13 PM
Hello Aledin,
ArtRage Vitae is ArtRage 7 and is now distributed only via the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store.

Thank you Mark! And after seeing your message I noticed my typo when I meant Artrage 6 intead of 7, but you understood it anyway. :D

Omnimaxus
09-11-2021, 11:29 AM
I am extremely disappointed with this boneheaded move on ArtRage's part. I will NOT use the Windows Store. Period. I will stay with ArtRage 4 Pro for now.

If I decide to upgrade, it will be to ArtRage 6 (unlikely, though, since I do not support businesses that do not offer customers options in how they purchase software).

AndyRage
09-13-2021, 11:08 AM
I am extremely disappointed with this boneheaded move on ArtRage's part. I will NOT use the Windows Store. Period. I will stay with ArtRage 4 Pro for now.

If I decide to upgrade, it will be to ArtRage 6 (unlikely, though, since I do not support businesses that do not offer customers options in how they purchase software).

Moving to the Windows and Apple App stores is already benefiting our customers. We've had virtually no customers reporting problems purchasing and installing ArtRage Vitae through the two App Stores.
You have no idea how many support requests we previously got from customers who had difficultly with serial numbers, installers, updates and fixes.
I do appreciate some people dont want to use the Windows Store. For those people we're continuing to offer ArtRage 6 for sale (at a reduced price) and will continue to offer free technical support as we've always done.
We still offer free technical support for ArtRage 2. We will continue to offer support for all versions of ArtRage.

Zeropainter
09-19-2021, 04:51 AM
NiceUpgrade, but ...

I don't like Artrage installing itself in WindowsApps folder. I also bought the MineCraft game from Microsoft, the game is not in the Apps folder either.

I would like to use Artrage64.exe with a 3D program, with 3DCoat as PaintingEditor. But have zero access. WindowsApps is locked by the system.

JMMK
09-19-2021, 08:29 PM
I don't like Artrage installing itself in WindowsApps folder.

I would like to use Artrage64.exe

I completely agree with this

Zeropainter
09-20-2021, 07:56 PM
I even I don't know how I should deinstall AR Viatae, if we get Artrage 8 e.g. in 2-3 years and If I have the same systemconfiguration.

jebbasha
10-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Vitae == Latin for 'Life'

NaN
12-02-2021, 05:14 AM
Hi, got me a Wacom tablet and am strongly considering to buy ArtRage. Would also like to use it on my work notebook but on our company machines (like probably most bigger companies) the Microsoft Store ist blocked. Is there a way to buy and download the installer that just normally? Thanks!

Enug
12-02-2021, 04:27 PM
Hi NaN and welcome. ArtRage Vitae is only available through the Microsoft store but you can download a demo of ArtRage6. You can compare the functions of Vitae and AR6 and see if you can live with the differences. I must admit the only advantage I have personally found with Vitae is the larger brush sizes.

NaN
12-02-2021, 11:03 PM
Hi NaN and welcome. ArtRage Vitae is only available through the Microsoft store but you can download a demo of ArtRage6. You can compare the functions of Vitae and AR6 and see if you can live with the differences. I must admit the only advantage I have personally found with Vitae is the larger brush sizes.

Hi, thanks for the hint that the old version is still available normally! Will have a look!

symson
12-12-2021, 12:04 PM
I'm confused on what Artrage Vitae is. Is it the heir of Artrage 6 or is there still going to be an Artrage 7 one day?
Thank you

I created a video that spotlights the 5 main differences in Vitae from Artarge 6. This should help you decide if you want to use it or not.

https://youtu.be/kDBctmAlnx0

symson
12-12-2021, 12:05 PM
As someone who just purchased Artrage 6 a few weeks ago, it seems that I am now being asked to pay once more for what (for my needs) is almost the same program as I already have. I have tried out the demo version on Win 10, and see no obvious (to me) new features which would encourage me to buy this.

Have I understood this correctly? I personally have no need for a canvas-sharing system.

I created a video that spotlights the 5 main differences in Vitae from ArtRage 6. This should help you decide if you want to use it or not

https://youtu.be/kDBctmAlnx0

kris_lap
12-14-2021, 11:51 PM
Wait. there is a Windows Artrage Vitae demo ?
Can't find it on Mac. I have no choice but buying it from App Store.

nekomata
12-15-2021, 08:39 AM
Wait. there is a Windows Artrage Vitae demo ?
Can't find it on Mac. I have no choice but being it from App Store.

you're right, there's no mac demo for artrage vitae. we are a bit left out with the ability to try this release out before committing to buying a copy.

kris_lap
12-15-2021, 12:48 PM
The App Store logic is you can buy and ask a refund in 14 days (in Europe) if you don't like the software. But I don't know if the artrage team is aware that this "tryout' Appstore refund can prevent you for really buying the software later. Yes I was already in this situation once. if you, let's say, change your mind or save some cash for truly buying the software. Not an easy and valid tryout option for me. I'm out.

Fashmir
12-21-2021, 10:24 AM
I've purchased AR Vitae so I'm up to date with the latest from Andy and the team at Ambient. I want to know how I can find the executable so I can make a desktop shortcut. I use my windows 10 toolbar as a place to organize my software into categories. For that I need a regular old shortcut.

Enug
12-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Hello Fashmir. Mine is here.:)

Fashmir
12-21-2021, 08:20 PM
Hi! Thanks Enug!

metabit
01-03-2022, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I'm a Corel painter user and art rage for android. Was trying to buy vitae .
I'm behind a VPN for safety. What is the problem ? It never hand shakes so i can pay for it or download it ...

spyres
01-10-2022, 10:35 PM
Hello,

I'm a Corel painter user and art rage for android. Was trying to buy vitae .
I'm behind a VPN for safety. What is the problem ? It never hand shakes so i can pay for it or download it ...
You can't turn off your VPN for two minutes to make the purchase? Are you on the run or perhaps have bounty hunters after you? There's nothing about buying from the MS store that requires accessing it via vpn.

GRSArts
02-01-2022, 01:36 PM
I have had ArtRage through a lot of versions. The one thing I would like and wondering in Vitae, is there finally any keyboard shortcut keys for the tools? I use a drawing monitor and would like to be able to use the shortcut keys.

markw
02-02-2022, 12:25 AM
Hello GRSArts :)
Are you asking if you can adjust a tools individual controls, as found in the Settings panel, via key commands?
If so, then sadly that is not currently possible.
If that's not what you were asking could you perhaps elaborate a bit more...

GRSArts
02-02-2022, 03:41 AM
I am asking if you can have a keyboard shortcut for ...let's say the Watercolor Brush. I hit the "B" on the keyboard and it brings up the Watercolor Brush. In this way, I can use that on my XP-Pen Monitor bu assigning a key for the Watercolor Brush.That is an easy way of jumping between art tools while drawing/painting.

markw
02-02-2022, 04:34 AM
I am asking if you can have a keyboard shortcut for ...let's say the Watercolor Brush. I hit the "B" on the keyboard and it brings up the Watercolor Brush. In this way, I can use that on my XP-Pen Monitor bu assigning a key for the Watercolor Brush.That is an easy way of jumping between art tools while drawing/painting.
Yes, ARV, and past versions of AR, have always allowed tool selection via key command and ships with some already pre-assigned. The pre-assigned ones can also be changed to custom ones if desired.
To assign commands, in the Menubar go to; Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts…
In the panel that opens expanding a category will show all existing shortcuts for that category.
To add a shortcut hover the cursor over the entry in the left column and click the ‘+’ icon that appears.
To change an entry, hover over the existing shortcut shown in the right column; click the ellipsis icon to edit/change the shortcut or click the ‘x’ icon to remove the shortcut.
Also at the top of the Shortcuts panel is a menu icon, clicking this will allow you to export/import a backup file of all existing shortcuts.

GRSArts
02-02-2022, 07:29 AM
That's it. Right under my nose. Thank you. So now I will upgrade to Vitae from Version 6.

TheWillowArtist
06-01-2022, 02:13 AM
Hello, I just joined this Community!

Enug
06-01-2022, 05:52 AM
Hello, the TheWillowArtist, and a warm welcome. I hope to see more of you in the forum.

Expat
06-28-2022, 09:00 AM
Moving to the Windows and Apple App stores is already benefiting our customers. We've had virtually no customers reporting problems purchasing and installing ArtRage Vitae through the two App Stores.
You have no idea how many support requests we previously got from customers who had difficultly with serial numbers, installers, updates and fixes.
I do appreciate some people dont want to use the Windows Store. For those people we're continuing to offer ArtRage 6 for sale (at a reduced price) and will continue to offer free technical support as we've always done.
We still offer free technical support for ArtRage 2. We will continue to offer support for all versions of ArtRage.

Maybe my experience was an exception, but I had a terrible time getting my payment processed. Neither chat help nor telephone support could solve the problem. Only after installing a PIN in the account settings of my computer did the Microsoft Store finally function for me. Having an account with a password was not enough. For some reason, I had to figure this out by myself, or rather stumble into the solution.

Enug
06-28-2022, 01:15 PM
Sorry you had problems but good for you - you figured a way around it. I had no problems but many say they have experienced them. Strange that it's rather hit or miss.:confused::confused:

CMDesign
07-06-2022, 04:59 PM

Bit late to the party here. I got a wild hair to upgrade to see whats new as I'm still using AR5. Was very surprised and very dissappointed to find that Vitae is only available on the MS Store. I agree with others... that just obliterated any chances of me upgrading to Vitae or any version that is exclusive to the MS store. Kind of amazed you guys havent stepped up to bat here and made it available in both the MS Store and here considering how many people have significant reservations about this. As others have stated, the MS store is pretty well universally hated. Anyways, wish you guys luck. I'll be sticking with AR5 for now and going with a competing product when I feel AR5 isnt doing it for me anymore.

spitfireix
07-10-2022, 10:38 AM
New user here, and aside from the question I posted on the Technical forum about Browse Content Folders, I'm enjoying Art Rage Vitae more than I thought I would. I'm mainly a Corel Painter user but needed something that would work on a Surface Pro 8. So far, it's worked well on my desktop (Wacom Cintiq) and my Surface. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the app handles oil painting!

I'm one of the people who had no issues buying ARV using the Microsoft Store and actually prefer the convenience.

Enug
07-10-2022, 05:05 PM
Pleased to read you had a good experience. Nice to see a positive comment.:D