PDA

View Full Version : Another brush - another animal portrait!

Enug
12-28-2020, 09:57 PM
More experimenting with making brushes and this one which I called 'wavy hair', I thought worked well with Leo. I think this was the most difficult painting I have attempted - layer upon layer, upon layer .............

Kate12345
12-29-2020, 12:53 AM
thats beautiful. The eyes are gorgeous! Its endless experimenting with brushes!

rac2020
12-30-2020, 06:11 AM
Well done and so beautiful.

D Akey
12-30-2020, 06:25 AM
Neat-o.

I realize it's something of a test run for the brush and you're driving it around, so well done there. You're overall effect is nice and pet-able. So it reads nicely.

But being that it's a test, I would suggest that it has its place, but as far as it being the right choice for every use, I think it's limited. The short stroke length for the long hair in the mane gives it a sort of hybrid pointillist effect, like a crosshatch drawing pattern would be used to create a value you might squint and see more than to be true to the character of the length of the fur or hair. It works fine for the short fur on the muzzle and so on though. But in the longer fur it looks like he was just using a curling iron to put in a kinky look.

Anyway, I'm just kibbitzing like one would do on a golf course in choosing the right club for the shot. The picture is really nice and shows you have an excellent handle on the big picture.

Good stuff, June!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Enug
12-30-2020, 07:10 AM
Thanks Kate, Rac2020 and DA - your input is valued and most appreciated. :cool::cool: DA,after I posted the image and saw it here I felt the mane needed something more so after using a different brush it looks better - you were right - as usual.:)

sabena
12-30-2020, 10:47 AM
Wonderful painting :)

Enug
12-30-2020, 12:14 PM
Thanks again Sabena.