PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Sketchbook - Digital Oils

dankelby
03-08-2019, 11:17 AM
Hi folks, I'm new here - freelance Character Designer by trade but very much a 24/7 artist!

I just started with ArtRage and thought I'd keep a sketchbook here. I don't have the money, space or means to learn traditional oil painting so I'm trying it out in the program to see what kind of results I can get. I've always loved Alla Prima work and get excited by the mark making of artists like Richard Schmid, Robert Lemler and David Shevlino (as well as the usual culprits such as Sargent, Zorn and Sorolla).

The only tools I've been using so far are the Oil Brush and Palette Knife on the Essential Canvas, painting on one layer to keep things as "traditional" (and uncomplicated) as possible. Hoping to update this thread periodically with experiments! My first paintings are below...just fruit and veg for now. Cheers!

D Akey
03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
So clean! I really appreciate your clarity of approach. I bet the advert agencies love your work for comps at the very least. Or animation houses based on your avatar.

dannac
03-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Like all ... but favorite is the pumpkin.

Look forward to seeing more.

DaveRage
03-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forums! These are really nice, they have a really painterly look to them.

el Davo Loco
03-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��

dankelby
05-06-2019, 05:16 AM
Thanks all! Apologies for the extremely late reply.

Hoooo-weeeee! If this is you just warming up, you are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I also love the brushwork, and the painterly look of this work.
I got the chance to see some JS Sargent work in DC last year. I think the noise of my jaw hitting the floor startled the guard. That man’s brushwork is simply insane...gobs and slashes of apparently carelessly-mixed paint that coalesce into a perfect landscape as you step back. ��

I hear you about Sargent, el Davo. He's my absolute favourite painter: I saw a full exhibition of his at the Royal Portrait Gallery in London a few years back and could have stayed in there for days. Every single canvas was a masterpiece!

Here are some more sketches I did today, trying to stay loose and only use the bare minimum in terms of tools and layers. I need to work on my edges a lot more: I find those are absolutely key to a successful image (and something Sargent was also a master at, of course).

sabena
05-06-2019, 06:21 AM
Wow Fantastic work your are a master : D

dankelby
05-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Haha! Far from a master, but thank you very much! :D

eighty+
05-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Hi. Dan. Fantastic art. Congrats. For showing. Will help all us blind bats we hope to Paint :D:D:D.:cool::cool::cool:
Regards ploos. CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS. HASTA LA VISTA. SLAINTE

pai
05-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Love your brush strokes. Great paintings :)

limey-g
05-08-2019, 08:18 AM
These are really good, very nice brushwork