PDA

View Full Version : Need GPU support

ArcherFrost
09-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Some CPUs struggle with ArtRage in case of high-resolution, high-texture or deep-layered art work. The interface lags or stutters. Almost all digital art and major image/video editor apps available for Windows run on the dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA and AMD Radeon) to ensure smooth and uninterrupted graphics rendering. Why can't ArtRage? I believe the most important feature that ArtRage needs immediately is GPU support. The CPU alone can't do it very well.

MattRage
09-21-2018, 12:07 PM
The majority of the slowdown on larger canvases with ArtRage comes from the calculation of the interaction of paint volumes / wetness / colour rather than the process of getting it to the screen. We've looked in to potentially using GPU acceleration in the past but those calculations aren't really appropriate for that model. Apps that only work with colour can generally take advantage of GPU acceleration, but when you're dealing with the kind of calculations our media simulation does it's not necessarily as straightforward and basically wouldn't help.

Interface lag or stutter is unusual though, that's not something I've seen with large canvases outside of potential slowdowns in layer thumbnails updating or paint previews updating, both of which are dependent on the kind of calculation I mentioned above.