PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Lumpkin - cartoon study

Therm0s
05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Back to my roots, folks. Never been proficinent in reality; so, being a rather random doodler with an obsession with animation, I thought I'd try my hand at cartoonism. The following is a "cutout" character study. Artrage (obviously) for the imagery; Moho for the composition/eye masking. He's the guy down the street who's rather particular about his flowerbeds and likes to scold kids for playing on his lawn.

Any constructive crits encouraged. Only the eyes are masked at present and full rigging of the character is yet to be done, but it seems at least feasible to animate this guy. Hope to post something "in motion" soon.

Luuuuuuuuv this program! This is the easiest it's ever been to create a 2D character from scratch (no scanning/tracing)!

Rip him/me to shreds!

Therm0s
05-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Apparently a limit per-post on attachements. Just wanted to inlcude a detail.

bearblue1
05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Fun character. I think I've met him a time or two... :)

AndyRage
05-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Ooo, very cool character.
Do you have a sample of the animation you've done with him?

Therm0s
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys,

Nothing animated yet. I'm still workng on a stable stable bone-rigging and switch layers for the mouth/hands. Visions of something Gilliam-esque dancing in my head.

What I lack in creativity is more than compensated by inspiration.

Posting more as it comes together.

Thanks again!

PS.
Andy, is there a way to re-position a duplicated layer? Might've come in handy for the legs/arms. I wound up re-painting each when I probably could've exported an image and re-imported to position, but I didn't think of it until after I was done. Just curious.

Keep up the good work!

Themrm0s :D

waheednasir
05-10-2006, 05:22 PM
good one therm0s...nice cute character and i like his walk...:).

bleepnik
05-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Mr. Lumpkin looks great, Therm0s, can't wait to see him animated. Thanks for posting the detailed close-up, I love the brushstrokes of the cheek and nose and ear.

- Gita

DMerchen
05-11-2006, 02:55 AM
So did you paint the arms, body, and head on different layers? Just curious how you accomplished this repositioning of the arms and head. I like the look of this painting. :D

Therm0s
05-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Thanks everyone!

DMerchen:
I did paint each "part" on a separate layer and export them each as images. I then used another program (Moho) to put the images together and position them. As far as I know, there isn't a way to move or rotate individual layers in Artrage (not really the purpose of the program). Moho is specifically built for this kind of "cut-out" animation. Moho also does the "masking" on the eyes.

Thanks for the interest.

tony
05-11-2006, 06:26 AM
:) Hi ThermOs, what an interesting fellow you have produced, great stuff, love his different poses.Regards,Tony :)

Aged P
05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
"Never been proficient in reality."
That's been a life long problem for a lot of us!

These pictures are really great, like plasticine modelling work for animation. The eyes are wondefully expressive.

Several people have now mentioned Moho, is it a big professional package?

ENCHANTER
05-11-2006, 07:21 AM
great character, looks like someone everyone knows and can relate with( or rather not relate with :) )

bleepnik
05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Aged P, Moho (http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/index.shtml) is a US$99 2D vector-based animation programme.

- Gita

Aged P
05-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Gita,

I'm really tempted. Tony, above, would really do well with this.

I may well download it.

Therm0s
05-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Aged P:
Gita hit it on the head. In my opinion, Moho's worth every penny. Bear in mind that it's a vastly different tool from Artrage (worth far more pennies than they're charging), but each of these fills it's niche perfectly. Free demos are wonderful things. Works great with tablets as well.

PS.
I like your new avatar.

byroncallas
05-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Fun character, yes?