PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to IPad 2018 (6th gen) with Apple Pencil

Jono
06-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Hi all

I'm close to upgrading my old trusty iPad 2 to a newer version and was wondering if anyone here has had any problems (ArtRage or otherwise) worth mentioning. I'm particularly excited about using the Pencil stylus but didn't notice anywhere on the official ArtRage website saying that it is specifically supported.

Many thanks :)

DaveRage
06-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Hi Jono! We support the Apple Pencil, including tilt and pressure. Thanks for the feedback on the website, we should look at making that clear! :)

Jono
06-19-2018, 04:39 AM
Thanks Dave. Tilt and pressure that's great news. I'm just getting back into ArtRage and art generally so really looking forward to experimenting and having some fun again.

firstrazor
08-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks Dave. Tilt and pressure that's great news. I'm just getting back into ArtRage and art generally so really looking forward to experimenting and having some fun again.

Hi Joni, how is your experience with the iPad 2018 with Pencil? I’m wondering if this works well, what iPad Pro can offer more, except the bigger screen?

Jono
08-27-2018, 03:12 AM
Hi Joni, how is your experience with the iPad 2018 with Pencil? I’m wondering if this works well, what iPad Pro can offer more, except the bigger screen?

I can't really speak about the iPad pro except if my budget could have stretched that far, I would have probably gone for a pro over the iPad 2018. From what I understand it has a more powerful processor, the has screen has more pixels and better colour handling, adapting to ambient light intensity.

Having said that I am very satisfied with my new iPad 2018 compared with my old iPad 2 (which is still operational). Beyond being so much lighter in weight, the thing that I immediately noticed was the better screen and that it's just much more snappy to use. Also a small thing but being able to unlock with a finger print is so handy.

Weirdly so far I've not used the pencil as much as I thought I would, but it does work well. A thing to note though is that brush stroke widths are a lot thinner compared to the tip of a finger. Obviously there are pressure sensitivity and angle variables, but overall the pencil marks tend to be thinner and more precise. Basically you have to get used that.

Good luck with your choice :D

firstrazor
08-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Combining fingers with pencil, I think that's the perfect solution. Now I can make decision, thanks Jono!

eighty+
11-17-2018, 10:43 AM
What. That. Then. :mad::mad: ????

MattRage
11-19-2018, 09:39 AM
The Apple Pencil's pressure curve is pretty large but there's a slider on the Preferences screen that allows you to adjust the range down from 100% so that you get the full pressure curve without needing to press so hard. That should up the size of the strokes slightly.

Jono
11-20-2018, 12:48 AM
Brilliant, thanks Matt, much appreciated.

I can now make the pencil work just like my finger (if I want to) :D

firstrazor
12-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Why the tilt function doesn’t seem to have noticeable effect ?

MattRage
12-03-2018, 09:47 AM
The Tilt functionality appears to be working when I test it here. If you have Precise Pencil turned on you won't see any difference as Precise mode specifically only produces solid lines. I am using a previous iPad Pro with the original Apple Pencil for testing so if there are any issues with the new model I will look in to that as soon as our test hardware arrives, but I'm guessing it's the Precise toggle causing the issue here.

firstrazor
12-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Hi Matt, I am using iPad2018 with the 1st gen Pencil. Where is the setting of "precise mode"?

asahiart
12-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Out of interest what is the advantage of the IPP3 over your current IPP2 and pen ?

Are you upgrading due to say tax reductions in business perhaps ?

I only ask as I looked into the IPP3 and while in the shop I could not see any advantages, the pen does what my wireless charging tooth brush does charges which out direct plugging in etc.

None of my adapters will work so all in all the advantages I could not see, other than a tax lose later in the 2019.

Jono
12-08-2018, 04:49 AM
Hi Matt, I am using iPad2018 with the 1st gen Pencil. Where is the setting of "precise mode"?It's in the Pencil tool settings...

firstrazor
12-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Thanks Jono. I mixed up Apple Pencil and ArtRage Pencil ��