PDA

View Full Version : First time i try to draw a bird- Magpie

danny72
06-11-2018, 05:46 AM
95325 This bird is quite smart but enjoying and all around my house here in Sweden.. I like this birds looks so I had to give it a try. Never painted or draw a bird before. Fun to do.

D Akey
06-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Wow! That's incredible work. I'm quite sure the birds' vanity would be satisfied. Clearly all those portraits you have done have really taught you how to paint very well indeed. Good one.

danny72
06-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Thank you. I did this one for my wife. She is really interested in birds. This will be here logo for her handmade soap products she is making.95329 This is will be printed on a small label.

D Akey
06-11-2018, 09:22 PM
How nice. Just a design tip, you may want to arrange it slightly different where you have the bird looking at the name of the product rather than away to the left. In paintings also, one wants to generally lead the eye into the picture rather than off. So the way the bird is facing tends to matter. I know it sounds trivial, but the bird is like an arrow that the eye will follow. It's pretty much tried and true in advertising and product design too, and couldn't hurt sales any to have it pointing where you will grab you potential customers' attention. It's subliminal, but it's how people tend to be wired.

danny72
06-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Yeah I know. But I don't know how to turn the bird. Do you witch key you can turn the drawing?

D Akey
06-12-2018, 05:47 AM
You can select your layer that the content is on.

Right click and from the flyout menu pick "Transform. . ."

Then click on "Flip"

danny72
06-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Thanks D.akey for the advice :-).95337 I made this one first.95338And this one

D Akey
06-12-2018, 09:19 AM
So it worked. Great. Now for the one with the large bird behind the type, just make sure it reads with enough contrast. So I think maybe the second one might work for you better as everything reads.

I would make a mock up, especially since you haven't done packaging design before. Print it out in color at the actual size and wrap it around a box (if it's a box) exactly at the size and shape you would make it. That way you can see it in context. You may have to put a bar code on it, ingredients and so forth on the sides and back. So this helps you visualize. And you can do variations and even take one into a store and put it on a shelf next to other soaps to see how it shows up. All a matter of seeing as much ahead of time before you commit. If you were working in an advertising agency, this is something they would do to show to a client, and perhaps get other people's opinions about it.

Very exciting. I wish you both great success.

DaveRage
06-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Very nice! The magpies we get here in New Zealand look a little different to the European ones, but they're definitely clever birds :)
I hope that the handmade soaps sell well!

danny72
06-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Thanks again :-) ... The soap is just a hobby for her,like the drawing for me. She going to try to sell the soaps and other handmade stuff(soap,different kinds of body oilstyle,creams.etc..), on a Christmas market. Very popular here. People started to think more ecological. Better natural ingredients in the products. I noticed also that the name "sommarfröjd " is hard to see with the bird big behind. I'm going to fix that.

danny72
06-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Thank you. :-)

pat1940
06-13-2018, 04:19 AM
Danny this bird is fantastic, what a painting for your first time, your wife should do well in her soaps, I made soaps and sold them years ago but once I got into digital painting that was it lol

danny72
06-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Thank you Pat1940 :-)