PDA

View Full Version : Saving New Presets.

hamer1952
01-25-2018, 02:18 PM
I'm having a problem saving a oil brush new preset. Here's what I'm doing, I go to the preset select normal round then go to Tool settings play around with the settings then paint on the canvas and then I go back and forth until I see something that I like, then I go to presets and select new presets then a window comes up I enter a name then click okay, then I go back to presets select the brush that I just modified then I go in to Tool settings to see if the settings has changed from the default settings and they have not changed. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong.

HannahRage
01-27-2018, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure if you're doing anything wrong, but just to be sure:

When you create a preset it saves exactly the settings you are currently using. If you save them as a preset and then select the preset you just saved then none of the settings should change. If you save the preset, then change the settings (or choose another preset), then the settings should change back when you choose your custom preset.

So one of these things is happening:

1) You are saving the default settings as a new preset without meaning to
2) You are saving your custom settings correctly and then just reloading them as the new preset
3) You are running into a bug, and something is not working correctly. We will need to know exactly what you are doing and that it is definitely not one of the first two things, so we can fix it.

hamer1952
01-28-2018, 01:13 PM
I figured it out, and plus if you use the undo option it goes right back to the default settings. I'm doing a watercolor portrait and I got a couple of layers and I want to add a background to it without disturbing the portrait, I added a new layer drop it down all the way to the bottom and then when I add the background color it goes right over the portrait, it doesn't do that when I'm doing a oil painting.

DaveRage
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
It sounds like the different ways that the tools work are responsible for what you are seeing there.
Watercolour is translucent so the background will show through. Paint on a layer beneath a watercolour layer will not be hidden by the watercolour strokes.
Oils are opaque if you are not using high amounts of thinners, so the background will not show through.

If this doesn't sound like what you're seeing, please email a copy of the painting file to [email protected] with a description of the problem and we can take a look at it for you

hamer1952
02-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Actually I was playing around with the painting and I figured it out that you can add a layer for the background without the paint going on top of the portrait if you don't go too far in from the edge of the portrait and it turn out good.