PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Finger Paintings!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chad Weatherford
01-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Happy New Year, everyone!

New to this community! I've made it a mission to post a small fingerpaint sketch for every day of the 2018 calendar year. Honestly, these paintings have been going on for about 3 years now.

Full time commuting, work and teaching means very little time left over, so weeks have flown by where I haven't even touched the painting app. I'm hoping that posting them will give me enough momentum to finish 365 of these!

Most of what follows will range from 15 minutes to a few hours depending on the subject matter and how adept I am at capturing the feeling.

P.S. I apologise if I am doing this wrong...I'm hoping to just keep adding images to this thread without gumming up the forum with individual posts.

Jan 01: ArtRage finger paint on the ipad with some Photoshop finishing. View of North Vancouver from Sentinel Hill.

sabena
01-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Fantástico painting com um dedo em parabéns:)
Very good painting with a finger congratulation:)

Chad Weatherford
01-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Fantástico painting com um dedo em parabéns:)
Very good painting with a finger congratulation:)

Haha thank you! Never received a finger congratulations before.

Chad Weatherford
01-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Early morning finger paint from the bus. . Vancouver is so very aqua, but I just might have overdone the blue in this one. There is a little Photoshop in this, but all the traditional look is from ArtRage, which is one reason I love the program.

damasocl
01-04-2018, 01:54 AM
Great paintings...!!! Please, .... more !!!!!!

gxhpainter
01-04-2018, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the forum and you bring some great new AR experiences! love your style and subject matter! I also use Photoshop for last minute work but AR is always the base! Can't wait to see
more everyday!...

Chad Weatherford
01-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Today's ipad finger painting. Spun my wheels for too long on another sketch..finally killed it to do a quick Artoo.

Chad Weatherford
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Great paintings...!!! Please, .... more !!!!!!

Thank you!

Chad Weatherford
01-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the forum and you bring some great new AR experiences! love your style and subject matter! I also use Photoshop for last minute work but AR is always the base! Can't wait to see
more everyday!...

Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it! Glad to hear I'm not the only one to finish in Photoshop. Primary reason for me is the limitation of pixel size in the iPad app, so Photoshop becomes a tool to help uprez it a bit. Of course I can't resist sneaking in a few additional textural brushes from Photoshop. How do you personally use Photoshop with Artrage?

Chad Weatherford
01-05-2018, 05:42 PM
January in Vancouver can be pretty bleak, but it can make for some interesting moods. Another bus sketch. I must have passed this gas station 90 percent of the year since 2015.

copespeak
01-06-2018, 07:08 AM
Brilliant work. I'm following this thread!

Chad Weatherford
01-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Finger paint in the rain. Could use a few more soft edges in this one?

Enug
01-07-2018, 01:34 AM
How talented! I would be happy to be able to do this with a stylus.

Chad Weatherford
01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Went to the Chinese Lantern Festival last week. It was too frigid to take any colour notes, so skvetched this one from memory and a handful of grainy Samsung photos.

only 359 more to go...

Chad Weatherford
01-07-2018, 08:02 PM
How talented! I would be happy to be able to do this with a stylus.

Thank you for the kindness!

D Akey
01-08-2018, 05:21 AM
Remarkable results. Great painter's eye. I think you set the bar for fingerpainting. Bravo!

CrossedLine
01-08-2018, 08:33 PM
I try to paint a gasstation all the time too, but there was no time to do it. ... Nice work!

Chad Weatherford
01-08-2018, 09:10 PM
Day 07. Switched it up this time. Blocked the sketch out with a tablet using Photoshop, then finished with a bit of ArtRage finger painting. This process isn't as much of a novelty but it's much quicker for me! Particularly given the max brush size in the iPad version of ArtRage.

Seeing what others have done with the full desktop version of this program, I'll have to get that myself soon and see if I can shake off Photoshop. At least for these sketches.

Chad Weatherford
01-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Hah! 'Set the bar for fingerpainting." Thanks so much. I feel like I am still trying to develop the painters eye you speak of!

Chad Weatherford
01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
The Gas Station was tricky for me. I feverishly started blocking it in while the bus was stopped, and took a crappy smartphone photo. Then I balanced the phone on my leg as a reference during the rest of the ride. The following morning on the same trip in I observed and jotted in some last little detail indications I couldn't remember or make out in the photo.

Thanks for the compliment!

Red_Force
01-09-2018, 02:20 PM
This is great. /clap

Chad Weatherford
01-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Another commute sketch. Started as 1 singular crow...this was was so stagnant I added another later on.

Chad Weatherford
01-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Thank you!

D Akey
01-10-2018, 02:28 PM
These are great! So how big is the screen you're placing your finger on? I think one of the things I'm liking about these is that they're broadly stroked. When I used to paint small thumbnails, they had a spontaneous quality that rarely translated to larger scale. They didn't have any fussy noodling when working small because you just couldn't see it, nor did one care. So by the restrictions of size they were simply zestful images that jumped to the heart of the matter. These feel that way. That crow painting is fantastic.

Chad Weatherford
01-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the comment and question. The iPad screen is 9.5 by 7.31 inches....it's an iPad 2. I do stay zoomed out in the initial block in, which makes the image about 2 inches across on the screen, but usually zoom in a bit to work up textural details. If I forget to zoom in ( which is often) it starts looking a little too uncontrolled and sloppy when blown up. That said, I do like to keep the strokes as simple as I can for these, so I'll sometimes go over a sketch at the end with a larger brush to unify areas and reintroduce any looseness which has been lost once the value statements are resolved.

Chad Weatherford
01-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Fell behind posting this week...

Chad Weatherford
01-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Not sure how I feel about this one...

D Akey
01-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Very cool. I have a stylus and a pretty decent Cintiq, which is great because as you know one can paint directly on the screen. But with the finger, that's a very cool way to go. Reminds me of the old time oil painters who would use their fingers as palette knives. There's something visceral about that. Plus no problem with toxic materials with digital. Painting now is so revolutionized it's just plain fun no matter how one makes the marks.

sabena
01-14-2018, 11:25 AM
I only can Say WOW good work:)

Chad Weatherford
01-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Honestly I kept misplacing my stylus a few years back and just became accustomed to painting with my finger. I didn't know the old time painters used their fingers like palette knives, that's amazing! Thanks for the complimentary words.

Chad Weatherford
01-14-2018, 05:27 PM
January 12...Half hour cafe sketch.

DarkOwnt
01-15-2018, 04:31 AM
Another commute sketch. Started as 1 singular crow...this was was so stagnant I added another later on.

How did you achieve this in ArtRage? The textures and sparse "brushiness" of some strokes are astounding!

What brushes and papers did you use to get the sparse speckled look on some dabs and strokes?

Cheers!

Chad Weatherford
01-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the question. I almost always finish them up in Photoshop, where I'll sneak some textural effects in at the back end...so these end up being roughly 85 percent ArtRage on the iPad, and 25 percent Photoshop with varying degrees. A little stamp tool with some scatter sometimes helps add some randomness.
Occasionally I'll use some overlays and underlays of traditional paintings in ArtRage layers to help rough it up a bit. That latter method results in a lot of 'happy accidents'. My process varies sketch to sketch. There are a few images that will purely be ArtRage.
I love the painterly effects of the program , but the iPad app can get pretty slick looking without some additional texture help. Haven't gravitated to the desktop version yet, but I will soon. Then I can share some scripts!

Chad Weatherford
01-15-2018, 09:18 PM
Day 13...about 15-20 minutes

Chad Weatherford
01-15-2018, 09:22 PM
Painting of our deck again in the early morning fog. This one could use a bit more value balancing, but it's fine for a sketch I guess.

Chad Weatherford
01-16-2018, 08:59 PM
Sketch of a co-worker at the Noodlebox last January.

Chad Weatherford
01-16-2018, 09:13 PM
If anyone is curious, here is an example of where I took this in Photoshop from ArtRage.
The attached image is the original ArtRage file from my iPad.
Once in Photoshop, I shifted the figure to the left a bit, toned down the background with a Photoshop brush. I also added a few small marks to the hand to get it to read clearer. These are things I find looking at the image on a larger screen with a fresh eye. After a few more marks l added the date stamp to arrive at the above image. I could do the stamp in ArtRage, but it's easier and more consistent for me doing it in Photoshop at the very end.

DarkOwnt
01-17-2018, 05:40 AM
Sorry to pester... :) What did you use to get the dark speckled pattern in the middle of the right hand edge of the painting?

D Akey
01-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Very exciting "oil" painting look. Reminds me of a Russian painter Nicolai Fechin who inspired many of the oil painters on the west coast of the USA when he was teaching here. One of the things he did with his oil to make it behave in a particularly impasto way was to squeeze out his oils onto cardboard that then soaked out much of the linseed oil, thereby giving him an extra direct thickness that he didn't blend once on the canvas. Nice stuff. You're probably already aware of him, but here's a link in case anyone is interested in the quality you're getting that I'm referring to (to some degree).

https://www.google.com/search?q=nicolai+fechin+paintings+for+sale&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0kZe4gt7YAhUEQKwKHb70CWEQ_AUICygC&biw=950&bih=457&dpr=2

Chad Weatherford
01-17-2018, 05:27 PM
It doesn't feel like pestering! That area was created by the speckled roller over a painting texture underlay.

Chad Weatherford
01-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Very exciting "oil" painting look. Reminds me of a Russian painter Nicolai Fechin who inspired many of the oil painters on the west coast of the USA when he was teaching here. One of the things he did with his oil to make it behave in a particularly impasto way was to squeeze out his oils onto cardboard that then soaked out much of the linseed oil, thereby giving him an extra direct thickness that he didn't blend once on the canvas. Nice stuff. You're probably already aware of him, but here's a link in case anyone is interested in the quality you're getting that I'm referring to (to some degree).

https://www.google.com/search?q=nicolai+fechin+paintings+for+sale&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0kZe4gt7YAhUEQKwKHb70CWEQ_AUICygC&biw=950&bih=457&dpr=2

thanks, yea, I love Fechin. I've used the technique before to treat oils like pastels, without realising that was the way he worked up that granular texture! That's really cool. Truthfully I sometimes use Fechin Works as an underlay with ArtRage paintings. Painting over them sort of mixes some randomness in with the digital marks as well as giving the digital strokes some extra tooth. I think I'm painting over the underlays enough to make the images my own, but I am technically stealing some textural bits to approximate an analogue feel.

DarkOwnt
01-17-2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks for sharing your techniques!

Chad Weatherford
01-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your techniques!

You're welcome, Any time!

Chad Weatherford
01-17-2018, 09:24 PM
Finger Paint day 16. Didn't have much time for this one, and had to finish on the bus ride home. The bus seemed a lot more bumpy when painting little lights. There are a few psd brushestrokes thrown in before retiring this sketch, but not much.

Tida
01-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Thank you for sharing your beautiful painting daily! I really love your brushwork and the way you captured the city. I have just moved to Vancouver last year and I could feel the expression and atmosphere exactly. They are wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing your next work!

D Akey
01-19-2018, 09:28 PM
I particularly like the night landscapes a whole lot. You have a very good sense of dramatic lighting.

sabena
01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Very good work I like very much the portrait. fantastic

Chad Weatherford
01-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Thank you for sharing your beautiful painting daily! I really love your brushwork and the way you captured the city. I have just moved to Vancouver last year and I could feel the expression and atmosphere exactly. They are wonderful and I'm looking forward to seeing your next work!
Thank you so much! What brought you to Vancouver? How do you like the winter rain?

Chad Weatherford
01-21-2018, 07:44 AM
I particularly like the night landscapes a whole lot. You have a very good sense of dramatic lighting.
Thank you...I enjoy doing the night ones. I can never capture them correctly in a photo so painting is the most accurate way for me to record what I see!

Chad Weatherford
01-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Very good work I like very much the portrait. fantastic
Thank you!

Chad Weatherford
01-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Finger paint day 17. I'm behind schedule and life hasn't thrown a major swerve yet. I can see some disruptions coming though. Of course, I can't account for the things that blindside!

D Akey
01-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Whistler could not have done a better job. Nice one. Sorry about the disruptions in your life. Push through it.

D Akey
01-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Thank you...I enjoy doing the night ones. I can never capture them correctly in a photo so painting is the most accurate way for me to record what I see!

Words for an artist to live by. You just mentioned one of the pitfalls about letting machines automatically do their thing without our consciousness or at least not nearly as much, compared with the artist filtering and sorting it all with a personal vision. I mean one can certainly take photography to great places, but that's either luck or lots of work. But it's different. I agree completely.

Chad Weatherford
01-22-2018, 06:07 PM
Fingerpaint day 18. Some additional PSD brushes in post for some textural effects. About 35 minutes all up. It was drizzling so not much was painted live. I do have a new mobile rig for painting in the rain though. It involves jamming the handle and stem of my umbrella into the gap between my jacket and neck. Real classy solution.

Chad Weatherford
01-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Whistler could not have done a better job. Nice one. Sorry about the disruptions in your life. Push through it.
Thanks for the compliment! Thanks also for the encouragement. It's a predictable disruption in that I teach an environment and prop design class. It just swallows up an additional 12 hours a week so it's going to be a chore to keep up with these dailies.

Chad Weatherford
01-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Words for an artist to live by. You just mentioned one of the pitfalls about letting machines automatically do their thing without our consciousness or at least not nearly as much, compared with the artist filtering and sorting it all with a personal vision. I mean one can certainly take photography to great places, but that's either luck or lots of work. But it's different. I agree completely.
And...If I were a better photographer maybe I wouldn't need to paint it haha. Thanks for the comment!

Chad Weatherford
01-24-2018, 06:09 PM
Behind again...maybe the posting delay will help me. Finger painting from day 19 with some psd brushes thrown in at the end...a self portrait.

D Akey
01-24-2018, 07:18 PM
And again: Bravo!

In Spanish the word to playing an instrument is "tocar" which translates "to touch". It makes sense in music to associate playing with that sense. And now you're getting it all done with touching the image with color. We may have a new word being laterally extended. Touching color sounds so much more grown up than finger painting. :D:p:cool:

Enug
01-24-2018, 08:03 PM
What talent!

Chad Weatherford
01-25-2018, 07:32 PM
And again: Bravo!

In Spanish the word to playing an instrument is "tocar" which translates "to touch". It makes sense in music to associate playing with that sense. And now you're getting it all done with touching the image with color. We may have a new word being laterally extended. Touching color sounds so much more grown up than finger painting. :D:p:cool:

Ha thank you! You are right, that does sound more grown up. Tocar en colour? Not sure if what I typed there would be a correct translation.

Chad Weatherford
01-25-2018, 07:34 PM
What talent!

Thank you for the kind words.

Chad Weatherford
01-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Tocar en Color day 20. Small washroom object which I'm told is a scalp massager.

copespeak
01-26-2018, 06:25 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread! Lovely work, and shows what the combination of a skilled artist and the Ipad can achieve.

Mila54
01-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Hi,
It’s nice that you take advantage of the early morning hours to do painting and light is just right! These are very nice paintings! Keep them coming!

gxhpainter
01-26-2018, 12:36 PM
I loved looking through this thread, really interesting ideas, and showing a lot of digital skill as well... it is now one of my favorite threads and will keep up on it!...

D Akey
01-27-2018, 04:47 AM
Haha. Tocar en color works nicely to my ear. I'm just a bit of a Spanish speaker. Not fluent. But I have Google Translate and I ain't afraid to use it. If it shows up with a translation one language to the other, it's close enough for me. And you have the right color accents. So you're set.

Continuing with some good paintings indeed. I love the broken color. Gives the image an excitement for the eye and mind.

Chad Weatherford
01-27-2018, 08:16 PM
I'm really enjoying this thread! Lovely work, and shows what the combination of a skilled artist and the Ipad can achieve.

Thank you very much!

Chad Weatherford
01-27-2018, 08:18 PM
Hi,
It’s nice that you take advantage of the early morning hours to do painting and light is just right! These are very nice paintings! Keep them coming!

Thank you, Work has been strangling me this last week so I've had a bit of difficulty keeping up with the posts I promised!

Chad Weatherford
01-27-2018, 08:19 PM
I loved looking through this thread, really interesting ideas, and showing a lot of digital skill as well... it is now one of my favorite threads and will keep up on it!...

thank you, and congrats on your show!

Chad Weatherford
01-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Haha. Tocar en color works nicely to my ear. I'm just a bit of a Spanish speaker. Not fluent. But I have Google Translate and I ain't afraid to use it. If it shows up with a translation one language to the other, it's close enough for me. And you have the right color accents. So you're set.

Continuing with some good paintings indeed. I love the broken color. Gives the image an excitement for the eye and mind.

Im not afraid to use a bit of Google Translate either! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.

Chad Weatherford
01-27-2018, 08:25 PM
Another one that began by smearing a photo I took over Wellington a few years back. Smeared it with the palette knife and left it for a loooong time before deciding to make something out of the mess this past weekend.

Chad Weatherford
02-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Fell off the wagon for a bit on posting these. I took a trip to China for work, and was basically shut down for social media and google, and I've been running like crazy ever since. Here's the first in an attempt to catch up!

Enug
02-11-2018, 01:23 AM
Amazing detail for finger painting.

D Akey
02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Really pleasant dusky palette. The end in the day of the golden hour. Artists and photographers look great basking in it.

So nice that you can take your art studio with you in an easy to carry electronic device. Fills in between the bursts of job.

Chad Weatherford
02-11-2018, 10:03 PM
Amazing detail for finger painting.

Thank you! I don't think I could achieve it in any other medium at this size other than digital...with the transform tool and a two fingered zoom!

Chad Weatherford
02-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Thanks D Akey. Yea I guess I could do it with a little gouache pack, but even that requires a bit more setup time...often I have only minutes to get a quick impression so the electronic device is perfect for that.

Chad Weatherford
02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Chengdu around my hotel had this amazing nuanced mix of drab greys with pops of color. A lot of decaying structures which I found interesting and oddly beautiful. I don't think I quite achieved what I was hoping to capture in the finger sketch before it started snowing and my fingers got cold.
This was one of the few live paintings I was able to do on the trip.

gxhpainter
02-13-2018, 10:56 AM
quite beautiful, of love the subtle mix of grays with hints of green and blue and little pops of color as you said... a very successful work.

eighty+
02-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Hi CHAD YES I've A 1st gen; IPad which got for doing Bus Sketches but only heads :D but was advised not to use as being old it would be pinched so stayed with pencil and 5" paper pads ok
yes I have Artrage on the IPad so I've tried a quick smash of your Café one with the Horse but can't show it as don't know how to get it on my computer so I could post it maybe just as well as its a 1st
attempt and would have you Laughing and rolling on the floor yes like you I only use finger as its always there :D Yes your stuff is Fab so will it b ok if I keep trying to copy Regards eighty+

D Akey
02-13-2018, 11:15 PM
I agree that one of the things that makes your work so strong is your use of color accents and the variations you insert making even the most benign setting sort of dazzle the eye. It's a great lens to look through for sure.

Chad Weatherford
02-14-2018, 10:25 PM
quite beautiful, of love the subtle mix of grays with hints of green and blue and little pops of color as you said... a very successful work.

Thank you very much.

Chad Weatherford
02-14-2018, 10:35 PM
Hi CHAD YES I've A 1st gen; IPad which got for doing Bus Sketches but only heads :D but was advised not to use as being old it would be pinched so stayed with pencil and 5" paper pads ok
yes I have Artrage on the IPad so I've tried a quick smash of your Café one with the Horse but can't show it as don't know how to get it on my computer so I could post it maybe just as well as its a 1st
attempt and would have you Laughing and rolling on the floor yes like you I only use finger as its always there :D Yes your stuff is Fab so will it b ok if I keep trying to copy Regards eighty+

Oh geez I'm humbled. Of course you can copy them for practice if you want to. Thanks for the kind words. To get the files off the iPad...I usually just email files to myself out of the ArtRage app, or you can save the images from the ArtRage app to your photo library.

Here's a couple screen caps from my iPad if it helps... would love to see how you go

Chad Weatherford
02-14-2018, 10:38 PM
I agree that one of the things that makes your work so strong is your use of color accents and the variations you insert making even the most benign setting sort of dazzle the eye. It's a great lens to look through for sure.

Thanks for the support I really appreciate your observations. No matter how many positive words you have for people on this site you always come up with more!

Chad Weatherford
02-14-2018, 10:43 PM
Day 24. Pink hued market in Chengdu.

eighty+
02-15-2018, 05:36 AM
Hi CHAD yes I've sent my Painting Finger ptg to my Mail ok but can't do as you've shown

AS my IPad is only a 1st Gen; ok also Remember I'am 89 ok

eighty+
02-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Hi. Chad I'vr just. Tried another one. But not yours ok. It's called. Take. Off. When on your 1st flight yuk yuk

copespeak
02-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Chad, I love the colours of your market scene. Your paintings are so rich in colour and texture.

Eighty, I have a Google Photos account, see the link for your PC here: https://plus.google.com/+GooglePhotos , and look for the app in your Ipad app store. It is free, unless you want huge files to go in there. Every image I have in my Ipad photos automatically uploads into there. So you just Save your image from Artrage via Export File onto your Ipad, and let it go into Google Photos. Then I can access it from my PC, and phone as well, and upload photos from them as well.

Let me know if you have any problems and I'll talk you through!

eighty+
02-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Thanks Robbie Tried but browser is out of date but thanks for bothering maybe I should get a IPad Pro as it looks as
if They can do anything. Ok. CIAO. SLAINTE

copespeak
02-15-2018, 07:34 PM
I have taught lots of people on my second hand Ipad 4th Gen. I debated whether I should upgrade, but thought it would keep me working at their level, and it worked great.

eighty+
02-16-2018, 08:09 AM
HI Robbie I've tried BUT It drove me up the wall all these modern gadgets with nobody you can ask
ok I think its possible :D :confused: I may have got a google photo account if I can find it :):)
thanks Robbie what a day worse then the Spanish inquisition ok just turned the telly on but
even the Olympics is not on and the rest is old stuff about 40 year old no wonder all those who run it
are all Multi Millionaire's :D I bet they know where the best Tax Haven is :rolleyes:

OK Robbie thanks for help CIAO SLAINTE

copespeak
02-16-2018, 10:39 AM
How about going on your PC, go to Google Photos homepage and see if you can sign in ... on top right, I think?

Sorry Chad, I think we've highjacked your post. Pm me Eighty?

Chad Weatherford
02-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Haha thanks copespeak no worries!

Chad Weatherford
02-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Hi CHAD yes I've sent my Painting Finger ptg to my Mail ok but can't do as you've shown

AS my IPad is only a 1st Gen; ok also Remember I'am 89 ok

I tell you if I make it to 89 (odds don't look so great with family history) I want to be like you!

Chad Weatherford
02-17-2018, 10:11 PM
Day 25. Finger Sketch of a massive statue in Wenchuan County.

Chad Weatherford
02-17-2018, 10:21 PM
Chad, I love the colours of your market scene. Your paintings are so rich in colour and texture.

Thank you very much!

eighty+
02-17-2018, 10:29 PM
:D :D just tried the Crows Robbie copespeak told me to get google Photos but i'm afraid computors

don't understand me as they ask too many questions and I get Lost :confused: ok CIAO SLAINTE

Chad Weatherford
02-18-2018, 07:21 AM
:D :D just tried the Crows Robbie copespeak told me to get google Photos but i'm afraid computors

don't understand me as they ask too many questions and I get Lost :confused: ok CIAO SLAINTE

Hmm I didn't comprehend all of what copespeak was suggesting, but I use a mac primarily. I also don't fully understand why you can't save the image to your photo library directly in the iPad, even if it is a 1st gen. Then again technology can be painful and it is hard to try and trouble shoot from an art gallery forum.
If you have the means to get an iPad Pro it may make life easier! I would surely get one if I could.

Chad Weatherford
02-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Taiping Quiang Village. This sketch took more time than I hoped to spend, especially if these daily-ish paintings are going to be sustainable. Gotta pick less complex subjects or keep it even looser! Block-in was in Photoshop before finger painting on the iPad.

Chad Weatherford
02-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Slight tweak of the previous sketch. Added a bit more detail to the big area of shadow because it felt empty and painted over the red distraction behind the towers. I feel torchered by this one so there must be something else It needs taken away or otherwise but...I suppose it's time to move on for now.

Edit: just simplified it more.

altimaître
02-19-2018, 12:55 AM
véry interesting, thank you ! pretty look to the light

LDFA
02-19-2018, 02:21 AM
Such a brilliant works there! Especially I liked first with raiy day, Cargoship in the fog and the one with three spaceships. Amazing brushwork, really good. You truly show us what ArtRage is capable of

D Akey
02-20-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm crazy about your use of color. You're so lucky you weren't a print illustrator in the 60s-80s where getting a full range of colors in printing was such a crap shoot. I finally figured out why so many illustrators did most of their work in very simplified palettes -- because it avoided having the whole color scheme fall apart. On the screen it all stays put as you painted it. Because of the technology and everyone seeing it pretty much the way you painted it, it's not been corrupted through middlemen. Nice seeing your work.

copespeak
02-20-2018, 05:53 PM
Chad, he wants to get it off his Ipad, and putting it into Google Photos means he can access it from the PC and phone, etc.

Chad Weatherford
02-22-2018, 07:44 PM
Such a brilliant works there! Especially I liked first with raiy day, Cargoship in the fog and the one with three spaceships. Amazing brushwork, really good. You truly show us what ArtRage is capable of

Thank you very much!

Chad Weatherford
02-22-2018, 07:47 PM
I'm crazy about your use of color. You're so lucky you weren't a print illustrator in the 60s-80s where getting a full range of colors in printing was such a crap shoot. I finally figured out why so many illustrators did most of their work in very simplified palettes -- because it avoided having the whole color scheme fall apart. On the screen it all stays put as you painted it. Because of the technology and everyone seeing it pretty much the way you painted it, it's not been corrupted through middlemen. Nice seeing your work.

Although I do see a color degradation going from ArtRage to Photoshop. And of course different monitors can change the colours too. Drives me nuts when when doing illustrations with 2 monitors that aren't calibrated. Thanks for the compliment!

Chad Weatherford
02-22-2018, 07:49 PM
Oh I see... sounds pretty handy actually!

Chad Weatherford
02-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Fingerpaint 27. Bus time is all I've got currently to squeeze these out. Can't wait to get January sketches wrapped up!

D Akey
02-23-2018, 09:19 AM
Gotta love whitish flat rooftops that abound in some arid climates where the roof is something of a yard and even a bedroom in some places like Egypt. Looking down, they offer the painter an opportunity which can be seen as an almost mosaic kind of affair that one can really exploit. Talk about the use of planes! The geometry of architecture is not everyone's thing, but you make it really interesting.

Chad Weatherford
02-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Gotta love whitish flat rooftops that abound in some arid climates where the roof is something of a yard and even a bedroom in some places like Egypt. Looking down, they offer the painter an opportunity which can be seen as an almost mosaic kind of affair that one can really exploit. Talk about the use of planes! The geometry of architecture is not everyone's thing, but you make it really interesting.

Thank you. D-Akey. A lot of these sketches deal with fairly mundane subject matter I guess, so if you think I am making them interesting I've accomplished something! Thank you!

Chad Weatherford
02-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Fingerpaint day 28. This one is pretty much all ArtRage on the iPad. I did bring it over to Photoshop to run a sharpness filter at one point to bring out the details. Ladies playing cards in Huanglongxi ancient town.

D Akey
02-26-2018, 06:15 PM
So are these from life of National Geographic or some in-flight magazine? I would be amazed if you were seeing all this color on your travels. It would be an amazing travel journal of an artist. So in response to what you mentioned, this is far from a dull subject. Nice painting.

Chad Weatherford
02-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Oh they are from my travels, but most of the China sketches are from photos I took and memory. I blocked them in real loose and dirty at the end of each day while the scene was somewhat fresh in my mind, and used the photos for detailing later. It was too regimented of a trip to be able to paint much live unfortunately. The few live ones I did were mostly around my hotel.

Chad Weatherford
02-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Finger paint day 29. Sketch of a pooch from a photo I took in Huanglongxi ancient village.

damasocl
02-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Great... Your textures are amazing!!!

D Akey
02-28-2018, 01:56 PM
The dog looks worried. Maybe I'm projecting

Still loving the colors and painterly marks. Another bull's eye the kind that's painted burnt sienna as opposed to cadmium red.

Lord Whinknshire
03-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Your paintings are AMAZING! And to do them with your finger WOW!
The textures in the back ground of the dog one how is it you achieved That?
And how do you go about starting one of these paintings

gxhpainter
03-02-2018, 07:04 AM
love your use of a natural pallet of color in your works, that blends well with your expressive style...

Chad Weatherford
03-02-2018, 09:41 PM
The dog looks worried. Maybe I'm projecting

Still loving the colors and painterly marks. Another bull's eye the kind that's painted burnt sienna as opposed to cadmium red.

Ha I thought he looked tired, but maybe that is me projecting. Thank you very much!

Chad Weatherford
03-02-2018, 09:53 PM
Your paintings are AMAZING! And to do them with your finger WOW!
The textures in the back ground of the dog one how is it you achieved That?
And how do you go about starting one of these paintings

Thanks so much for the compliment and question. Regarding the process, I think I recorded a script for that one. I'm going to get the desktop version of AR soon and then I can share the recording. My process isn't real linear, and sometimes I take it back and forth from AR to Photoshop so it ends up being more of a hybrid painting than a pure finger paint. The dog though is 98% AR. The texture you are asking about is just pencil tool and dry brushing over an actual oil painting Image that had a nice orange palette. Sometimes over the course of creating one of these I'll find it gets too predictable or same-y looking with the brushstrokes. When that happens I'll pull in a painting image and mess with the layer blending mode to get an abstract texture that 'messes up' the surface again. That process gives me all sorts of analog looking artefacts and a little chaos that I like.

Chad Weatherford
03-02-2018, 09:55 PM
love your use of a natural pallet of color in your works, that blends well with your expressive style...

Thank you!

Chad Weatherford
03-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Scene from a van window about 150 kilometers out of Chengdu. I'll be wrapping up these China sketches pretty soon!

damasocl
03-03-2018, 06:14 AM
This landscapes are fantastic, awesome!!!

D Akey
03-04-2018, 02:14 AM
Criminee! You do art for a living, right? You've got some remarkable chops.

Chad Weatherford
03-04-2018, 02:30 PM
This landscapes are fantastic, awesome!!!

Thank you very much!

Chad Weatherford
03-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Criminee! You do art for a living, right? You've got some remarkable chops.

Thank you D Akey, yea I'm a concept designer...trying to develop a fine art sensibility.

Chad Weatherford
03-04-2018, 02:34 PM
One of the things that amazed me the most in China was the families on motorbikes. Finally finished with January!

Lord Whinknshire
03-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Chad your a concept designer? Any chance you could show us some of your work! Would love to see it.
Do you use artrage or some other program when doing you work

Chad Weatherford
03-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Chad your a concept designer? Any chance you could show us some of your work! Would love to see it.
Do you use artrage or some other program when doing you work

Thanks for the interest :D I use Photoshop primarily for concept work. I might incorporate AR Into a workflow once I get the desktop version but PSD does everything I need. I really like the ArtRage app for mobile sketching which is why I am posting the results here ...although even then Photoshop often is woven into the process in varying degrees.

You can see concept work on my website...chadweatherford.com. It almost pains me to send you there...the website is in desperate need of an overhaul as most of that work is about 7 years old now.:( I should be spending time updating that rather than embarking on this Fingerpaint journey.

Lord Whinknshire
03-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Checked out your website and was blown away! love all the images you painted.
Quite like the game of thrones desert marketplace one you painted.
Would love to see you paint some concept art in artrage or incorporate into your flow.
Anyway looking forward to more finger paintings (and a updated website with some new works!)

Chad Weatherford
03-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Checked out your website and was blown away! love all the images you painted.
Quite like the game of thrones desert marketplace one you painted.
Would love to see you paint some concept art in artrage or incorporate into your flow.
Anyway looking forward to more finger paintings (and a updated website with some new works!)

Thanks for the kind words and for checking it out! Gotta make time to update that soon.

Chad Weatherford
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Only about 30 percent ArtRage finger paint this time. I just wanted to block this in with larger texture brushes in Photoshop and finished it with fingers on the way to work. It is somewhat more challenging building texture in the ArtRage app for me, so this saved some time.

Chad Weatherford
03-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Sketched this guy and his shop from across a Chengdu side street. He didn't seem to notice or mind.

Chad Weatherford
03-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Trying out some of the watercolour tools in ArtRage for iPad. I had a 7 hour layover in Beijing so this sketch should have been more epic. Actually I fell flat on my face with another sketch that was only slightly more ambitious...there are always going to be those bad days!

D Akey
03-10-2018, 02:21 AM
Chad, I'm curious since I don't work like you do, but I like it a lot, what do you mean by 'building texture'?
Are you talking about layering colors or dry brush or canvas tooth or mark variation?

Chad Weatherford
03-10-2018, 06:22 AM
Chad, I'm curious since I don't work like you do, but I like it a lot, what do you mean by 'building texture'?
Are you talking about layering colors or dry brush or canvas tooth or mark variation?

Hi D Akey, thanks for the question. By the wa,y do you post any paintings here?

Regarding texture: It’s a combination of all those things but the variety of marks would have to be the most challenging for me in the art rage app, unless I rely on more serendipity. For instance, loading up the brush with different ‘pigment’ to get that streaky mixture in the mark is achieved only after laying down little dots of different colour from the tube and palette knifing a stroke. Also that texture where you stab into the surface with the bristles of a brush... I haven’t found an easy simulation of the effect with the brush set in AR so it becomes a case of manufacturing the texture with the available tools or resorting to layer blending trickery, much like trying to type a 3 page report with 2 keys. I guess it’s looking at building the surface from the standpoint of traditional media and coming up against the limitations of the program, which is actually very impressive for a painting simulation and does what it does very well. Maybe I am trying too hard to make it something it is not in this case, but I like having the extra tooth and variety in the surface of the painting. What appears like a 'surface', anyways.

D Akey
03-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Hi. I don't post paintings since I don't really paint anymore. Making images for me is merely a thinking tool where a finished painting isn't the end result. But I like to dabble and see what people are doing. I played around with caricatures for birthdays and such (personal stuff), but because I'm rusty as hell and don't really do caricatures they took me an insane length of time to do. I've moved on creatively to other areas and until I have enough time, I will at some point do art again. I feel like I'm engulfed in a maze of learning curves.
------

So on to what you're doing. I could be wrong, but wasn't there a way to import PhotoShop brushes? I thought it could be done in Painter. I seem to recall that many of the brushes were for the later versions of PS and may not translate from one program to another. Not sure if they can be imported into AR. Maybe I was just thinking of layers.

Back in the early versions of AR, I knew how to create a custom paper/canvas thing by making a BW image and loading it in as a choice of canvas texture instead of the usual weave. I did some really cool textures that actually responded to the paint application. I would think that if is was still possible to make a custom canvas tooth, you could just as easily make something that gave the effect of a scumbled stroke etc. And also I *think* that you can change papers in mid-flight. The concept is sort of like overlaying a garbage matte like for photos back in the days of Goth photos. Only in this case you would employ it as needed for the application of paint, not something as a final touch. I think the closest old school traditional analogy would be like doing a rubbing, only as a base, and naturally with more control. So that's just one idea to get where you seem to be aiming.

I also have heard that in AR you can customize brushes quite a bit. I don't know if you've explored that. I haven't, but I've heard doing so really blew the lid off for some users who commented in the forum here.

The other thing is that you're on iPad and I don't know what limits come with that.

Anyway, I use PS because I know it and it suited what I was doing, which was manipulating photos. I also still use it in my workflow for adjusting drawings I have done on the computer. Mostly post production and touch ups, so I understand where you're coming from.

-------------

Edit: Just for the sake of clarity, regarding the canvas texture, the black and white bitmap(?) or maybe even gray scale image that I put in created a relief onto which the paint would go and it kept the relief quality until the paint was thick (as I recall, its been years). But think of priming a canvas with gesso using a house painter's brush without sanding for this example. That's an example of one thing you could do. Then when drawing, the pencil line would hop and skip, and not go into the deep parts if there were grooves as from a brush. (so that's one example, but any high contrast BW image could produce an interesting relief to paint on.)

But you can do all kinds of things like creating blotches that might create a faux building up of the kind you mention. Fine or coarse etc. However without me actually doing it I don't know how it would work or if it's good for what you want to do.

None the less it's very interesting and had lots of potential. I think it was a matter of simply putting the BW image into the right folder so the program knew where to access it.

Chad Weatherford
03-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Hi. I don't post paintings since I don't really paint anymore. Making images for me is merely a thinking tool where a finished painting isn't the end result. But I like to dabble and see what people are doing. I played around with caricatures for birthdays and such (personal stuff), but because I'm rusty as hell and don't really do caricatures they took me an insane length of time to do. I've moved on creatively to other areas and until I have enough time, I will at some point do art again. I feel like I'm engulfed in a maze of learning curves.

------

So on to what you're doing. I could be wrong, but wasn't there a way to import PhotoShop brushes? I thought it could be done in Painter. I seem to recall that many of the brushes were for the later versions of PS and may not translate from one program to another. Not sure if they can be imported into AR. Maybe I was just thinking of layers.

Back in the early versions of AR, I knew how to create a custom paper/canvas thing by making a BW image and loading it in as a choice of canvas texture instead of the usual weave. I did some really cool textures that actually responded to the paint application. I would think that if is was still possible to make a custom canvas tooth, you could just as easily make something that gave the effect of a scumbled stroke etc. And also I *think* that you can change papers in mid-flight. The concept is sort of like overlaying a garbage matte like for photos back in the days of Goth photos. Only in this case you would employ it as needed for the application of paint, not something as a final touch. I think the closest old school traditional analogy would be like doing a rubbing, only as a base, and naturally with more control. So that's just one idea to get where you seem to be aiming.

I also have heard that in AR you can customize brushes quite a bit. I don't know if you've explored that. I haven't, but I've heard doing so really blew the lid off for some users who commented in the forum here.

The other thing is that you're on iPad and I don't know what limits come with that.

Anyway, I use PS because I know it and it suited what I was doing, which was manipulating photos. I also still use it in my workflow for adjusting drawings I have done on the computer. Mostly post production and touch ups, so I understand where you're coming from.

-------------

Edit: Just for the sake of clarity, regarding the canvas texture, the black and white bitmap(?) or maybe even gray scale image that I put in created a relief onto which the paint would go and it kept the relief quality until the paint was thick (as I recall, its been years). But think of priming a canvas with gesso using a house painter's brush without sanding for this example. That's an example of one thing you could do. Then when drawing, the pencil line would hop and skip, and not go into the deep parts if there were grooves as from a brush. (so that's one example, but any high contrast BW image could produce an interesting relief to paint on.)

But you can do all kinds of things like creating blotches that might create a faux building up of the kind you mention. Fine or coarse etc. However without me actually doing it I don't know how it would work or if it's good for what you want to do.

None the less it's very interesting and had lots of potential. I think it was a matter of simply putting the BW image into the right folder so the program knew where to access it.

Thanks D Akey for the detailed description and suggestions. I do think the iPad app is fairly limited but it's worth investigating. Feel like I could possibly get some custom canvas into the mix like you mention but haven't poked around enough.
Fair enough about the painting. Hope you find time to get back into it but if you are finding alternative creative outlets that can be good.

Chad Weatherford
03-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Aerial sketch approaching Vancouver.

Chad Weatherford
03-14-2018, 05:43 PM
Another one about to stick the landing at the Vancouver airport.

Chad Weatherford
03-14-2018, 05:46 PM
Day 37 (I think) Fellow bus commuter.

D Akey
03-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Excellent work. I like the portrait too. Seems actually like a portrait more than a sketch. And of course the aerial stuff is great. Doing a real job. Are you feeling more comfortable and familiar with the platform or is it about the same for you mechanically. All the paintings have been consistently good from the beginning.

liora
03-16-2018, 03:35 PM
Chad, your work is amazing. Have you had art training or are you self-taught? What's been your path to getting where you are now? Thanks!

sabena
03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Fantastic portrait very good:D

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Excellent work. I like the portrait too. Seems actually like a portrait more than a sketch. And of course the aerial stuff is great. Doing a real job. Are you feeling more comfortable and familiar with the platform or is it about the same for you mechanically. All the paintings have been consistently good from the beginning.

Sorry I'm so slow on here lately. Been slammed lately.

Thanks again for your detailed rundown on the canvas settings etc earlier! ..actually picked up a few more tricks by experimenting with the canvas settings and different tools.

I appreciate all the support. I'm pretty comfortable with the platform, but not always satisfied exporting paintings straight out of ArtRage. That's why I usually do a Photoshop pass to Rez things up a bit and then bring it back to artrage to finish.

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 09:51 PM
Chad, your work is amazing. Have you had art training or are you self-taught? What's been your path to getting where you are now? Thanks!

Thank you! I have had training. I oil painted with my grandma and drew since a young age. Continued on the path prescribed to me by my parents I suppose, and went to university to study Illustration. I didn't really excel in the program and after graduation I was indecisive and floundered with odd jobs and finally settled into graphic design for a time. Almost 20 years agoI stumbled on Ryan Church and Eric Tiemens work for the Star Wars prequels and knew I had to be a concept designer, so I got real serious about it. My wife was real supportive and I quit my job essentially to go back to school and pursue a masters program in concept art. I busted tail to level up, got a job at an animation studio (the first studio to hire me) and eventually that led to me being honoured with an Emmy award as a character designer on a Dreamworks show called Dinotrux. I would like to eventually transition to be more of a plein air painter and self governed artist but we'll see!

All the above is a real trimmed up version of the story and it was far less linear. At any rate regarding the skill level it's just been a slow progression and I get frustrated that I'm not a better artist, so I keep plugging away with the hope that I'll get to the point where every stroke will be pure magic and knowledge. Haha of course that will quite possibly never happen but it keeps driving me forward.

With respect to training, given the gift of hindsight I would have made the most of my time before I had too many commitments to self train properly, as the cost of university is crippling.

Not sure if all that was the info you were looking for, but thank you so much for the question!

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Fantastic portrait very good:D

Thank you Sabena!

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 10:17 PM
Another commuter sketch....

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 10:19 PM
And another...wish I had more time to do the scarf!

Chad Weatherford
03-20-2018, 10:21 PM
Morning sketch of the Burrard Inlet from Sentinel Hill in West Vancouver...

D Akey
03-22-2018, 03:27 AM
Ugh. Wrote a whole thing that is somehow no longer here.

I'm glad you got some value out of the comments on using the canvas. Is that what you tried out for the seated girl? I see a number of things happening with the tooth.

Re: the scarf and not being done with it: Not having it taken farther has us focusing on other areas than the scarf. If you did one with the scarf being more worked on it would have been great, just a different focus for the viewer. As the viewer it's a matter of what you serve up and we take it from there. As it is it's not so much about a detail, but more an opportunity to look at the overall composition and color use and strokes and all that.

The painting gives an impression, but it's not like an illustration making a point, as with Pino's great paintings of women. He sort of pinches the focus in on what he considers the selling point = the girls' beauty and that pretty much dictates everything else. So I'm not missing anything with having more subtlety where the artist isn't standing at the painting with a pointer saying "Direct your attention to her beautiful face and hair" or whatever. It's more like something to savor this way. Both ways are nice. But there is something pleasurable to be able to savor and wander around a painting at leisure.

DarkOwnt
03-22-2018, 05:27 AM
I love your work!

I know it's not my place to make requests here, but for us ArtRage users, could you make ArtRage only sketches on a regular basis, say once every two weeks or something?

:)

Chad Weatherford
03-22-2018, 08:38 PM
I love your work!

I know it's not my place to make requests here, but for us ArtRage users, could you make ArtRage only sketches on a regular basis, say once every two weeks or something?

:)

Thanks!

I could possibly do that. You mean you want me to identify which sketches are only ArtRage? February 03 was the last one minus the date stamp and writing.

DarkOwnt
03-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Very Cool! Yes. Your stuff is inspirational!

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Very Cool! Yes. Your stuff is inspirational!

Thanks for the kindness! I appreciate it.

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Thumbnail sketch from the bus last year. Might have overworked it in that there isn't much detail, but the detail indicated is not accurate...especially in the dragon head.

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Riffing heavy off of a Marc R Hanson painting...

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:51 AM
Pretty much all ArtRage minus the stamp, and 2 tiny psd strokes on the right and left sides.

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:53 AM
Scene glimpsed while zipping by Stanley Park in a bus. The motion in the fg trees was a late hour decision!

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Boat docks near Granville Island. Struggled with this one...maybe too many blues? This was equal parts Photoshop and ArtRage so better described as a hybrid painting:p

Chad Weatherford
03-26-2018, 09:00 AM
10 minute(ish) sketch of a friend from a few years back and Bimini Public House in Vancouver.

This one was fully ArtRage finger paint. Originally done pretty small (like 500 pixels across) and rezzed up later. The stamp was done in Photoshop.

Lord Whinknshire
03-27-2018, 09:49 PM
I love the dragon painting you did Chad!!
Have you used the full program yet with the brush designer and sticker spray tools?

Chad Weatherford
03-29-2018, 10:01 PM
I love the dragon painting you did Chad!!
Have you used the full program yet with the brush designer and sticker spray tools?

Thanks for the comment!

Not yet. I anticipate within the next couple weeks though. I want to be able to extract the scripts to share the process.

Chad Weatherford
03-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Another work colleague painted last year.

Chad Weatherford
03-29-2018, 10:04 PM
Early morning vew from my driveway after a snowfall in February. Played with the different canvas settings while I painted to achieve more textures (thanks for the tip, D Akey!)

Chad Weatherford
03-29-2018, 10:05 PM
...and the same view from my driveway at night. Ipad is made for late night plein air sketches!

D Akey
03-30-2018, 10:26 AM
You're welcome. Yeah, there are all kinds of little tricks to do in AR one wouldn't necessarily know about until you hear somebody talk about it or see them use it. Enjoy all the dimensions of the canvas thing. I suspect you may at some point want to start making and installing your own custom (free form) canvases (assuming one can still do that).

eighty+
03-31-2018, 05:16 AM
Hi Chad just got a IPad PRo a bit Complicated for this old sod But what I want to know is if I do some paintings how do I get

them to show on the Artrage Forums ??? OK Thanks Regards E. PLOOS :D:D:D CIAO SLAINTE

Chad Weatherford
04-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Hi Chad just got a IPad PRo a bit Complicated for this old sod But what I want to know is if I do some paintings how do I get

them to show on the Artrage Forums ??? OK Thanks Regards E. PLOOS :D:D:D CIAO SLAINTE

Hi Eighty, you should be able to export the painting to your photos out of the ArtRage app ('Export Image', and when the next prompt appears, save as a JPEG, then another window will pop up and just choose 'save image') You can also get to the forums straight out of the app (ArtRage Community). Once you are in the forum, it should be just like uploading on the pc, but you just upload from your photo library from the iPad. That option should appear as a drop down menu when you go through the usual process of uploading an image. Honestly, there may be an easier way straight out of ArtRage to the community but the above procedure is the method I use.

Chad Weatherford
04-04-2018, 08:05 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates..have gotten super busy but trying to find a way to catch up.

Chad Weatherford
04-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Sketched this from the window of the Ferrari showroom while waiting for the bus. This one is pretty much pure ArtRage, with the date stamp added in Photoshop.

Chad Weatherford
04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Fingerpaint 52. Experimented with the color on this, trying to make it somewhat less representational. Probably could be pushed further looking at it now. This is the bottom of my street where I wait for the bus into the city.

Chad Weatherford
04-05-2018, 05:52 PM
This sketch was a struggle.. i mean I repainted it a dozen times it seems trying to get it right. My daughter still thought it looked like a tornado or an intestine. Nailed it! Early morning view towards the Burrard Inlet from our deck...

D Akey
04-06-2018, 06:19 AM
So your daughter was saying you were painting from the gut?

Love how you are playing with color schemes. I really like the red one at the neighborhood bus stop. Was it raining or showing? The flecks of white look like in between the paint strokes thus making it really interesting to look at within the context of the painting -- doing double duty as it were, between representing something and being marks of a sort of quick mark. I love that it's not dot dot dot and has very unexpected shapes. Sort of deliberate happy accidents in my mind anyway. I also like that you kept the colors muted, limited yet the red-purple underpainting still gives it great vitality representing a moist, overcast weather and lighting condition. Love how you let the underpainting breathe. Very cool.

Public transit is so foreign to me. It must be relaxing not having to drive, thus being able to look around and soak it all in, especially for an artist. MacPloos did it also quite a bit and he got in many, many portraits with pencil and paper. One guy on the bus even bought one.

Chad Weatherford
04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
D Akey I don't think either, but I like that it involves you in this way. One reason I enjoy loose, sketchy work is that is invitesthe viewer to participate in the painting, so if I can achieve that in any measure with my own work it makes me happy. Thank you for the thoughtful words as always.

Chad Weatherford
04-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Stone lion I discovered walking while on my lunch break.

Chad Weatherford
04-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Fingerpaint 55...experimental self prosit with a hood. The chaotic technique is created by duplicating the painting layer and transforming it, making it a bit larger and possibly stretching it a bit. Then erase away with some surprising results.

I use the technique quite a bit..it results in a lot of additional detail or happy accidents that add a bit more life.

HwyStar
04-07-2018, 11:45 PM
The color work is great on that one Chad!

That is a great idea about using two layers that way. Will have to try that one.

D Akey
04-08-2018, 04:34 AM
That trick does sound intriguing. Makes sense too. Already has the consistent or related palette depending on whether it modifies the values at all. Sort of a controlled pentimento, where an artist changed their mind and painted over something where it bled through to be faintly seen through the top painting as with a changed pose or something.

Also in this one it is sort of reminiscent of a monk in a cowl, speaking of the source of the word pentimento which was a variation on "repentance".

Chad Weatherford
04-08-2018, 08:11 PM
The color work is great on that one Chad!

That is a great idea about using two layers that way. Will have to try that one.

Thank you!! Yea give it a go...Gotta love the additional tricks and experimentation digital painting affords without the danger of destroying the original.

Chad Weatherford
04-08-2018, 08:15 PM
That trick does sound intriguing. Makes sense too. Already has the consistent or related palette depending on whether it modifies the values at all. Sort of a controlled pentimento, where an artist changed their mind and painted over something where it bled through to be faintly seen through the top painting as with a changed pose or something.

Also in this one it is sort of reminiscent of a monk in a cowl, speaking of the source of the word pentimento which was a variation on "repentance".

Always learning something from you. I'm not sure if this follows the same idea as pentimento, but I understand some artists like Alex Kinevski will mask off areas and paint on top of their first painting, creating a doubling effect which almost resembles a collage in oils.

Chad Weatherford
04-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Experimental smudging technique to find some new shapes and ideas. This was originally a head of a sabertooth tiger I painted some years back. Using the palette knife I smeared the original and probably transformed it to crush the result into more streamlined shapes. I figured these could be speeders powered by organic components. Would take some fleshing out for an excessive concept, but this is a beginning.

D Akey
04-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Essentially, because oils have a certain bleed through, over the years it would come through the revised layer of paint. I'm pretty certain this wasn't something they would see right away and I would think they would see it as a goof up. Not planned on at all for the olden days. Nowadays, all bets are off and it's an interesting idea to putter with deliberately.

Alex Kinevski's stuff is clearly more in line with what you're doing and I really like it. Is it "pentimento"? Not as such in the original sense. But that doesn't mean it's not rockin'.

Because there was a bunch of other non-related stuff on the page I took a screen grab from:

http://willkempartschool.com/a-beginners-guide-to-glazing-an-oil-portrait/

Chad Weatherford
04-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Essentially, because oils have a certain bleed through, over the years it would come through the revised layer of paint. I'm pretty certain this wasn't something they would see right away and I would think they would see it as a goof up. Not planned on at all for the olden days. Nowadays, all bets are off and it's an interesting idea to putter with deliberately.

Alex Kinevski's stuff is clearly more in line with what you're doing and I really like it. Is it "pentimento"? Not as such in the original sense. But that doesn't mean it's not rockin'.

Because there was a bunch of other non-related stuff on the page I took a screen grab from:

http://willkempartschool.com/a-beginners-guide-to-glazing-an-oil-portrait/

Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.

The digital medium being relatively new, I wonder if similar degredations will happen in time. Data once thought buried behind in the final file makes its way to the surface in some pixelated revelation.

I recall seeing a Craig Mullins image on my hard drive that would appear as a photo briefly in my macs preview window. It must have been the original photo he painted on top of and never intended to be revealed as such In the JPEG.. but yet, there it was.

Chad Weatherford
04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
View towards the Lions Gate Bridge in early morning frost.

D Akey
04-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Oh cool, thanks for the explanation.

The digital medium being relatively new, I wonder if similar degredations will happen in time. Data once thought buried behind in the final file makes its way to the surface in some pixelated revelation.

I recall seeing a Craig Mullins image on my hard drive that would appear as a photo briefly in my macs preview window. It must have been the original photo he painted on top of and never intended to be revealed as such In the JPEG.. but yet, there it was.

Yeah, that's what immediately came to mind. I find that once I export from Adobe inDesign to a pdf, which is then displayed on the internet, that it displays in a couple layers of the lower levels for a split second and finally rights itself to the finished pic. So rather than a repentance, it's more like something that's not uniquely Latin in origin. I like to think of it as the old Rolaids commercial: "How do you spell 'relief'?" where the answer was "R_O_L_A_I_D_S". Now it's more like "Aargh! oh. . . okay. . .'P_H_E_W'!"

Chad Weatherford
04-15-2018, 08:26 AM
Been getting clobbered with work and haven't found the time to post here lately. Sketch of the top of our street catching the last of the sun.

Chad Weatherford
04-15-2018, 08:28 AM
It rains in Vancouver... a lot!

Chad Weatherford
04-15-2018, 08:30 AM
This is actually only a small amount of Fingerpaint in ArtRage. A lot of the heavy lifting was done in Photoshop with a stylus a few years ago before I focused more on the Fingerpaint sketches.

Chad Weatherford
04-15-2018, 08:33 AM
This one was finger painted on top of a photo outside the studio window. I wanted to quickly capture the light before it changed, so working over the photo saved some time.

Chad Weatherford
04-15-2018, 08:35 AM
This, along with the last one were pretty much all finger painted with ArtRage on the iPad. I then sharpened the image in Photoshop since the paintings sometimes feel blurry coming directly out of ArtRage. The sharpen filter brings out some texture that I like.

HwyStar
04-15-2018, 08:52 AM
All nice works of art Chad! I will have to scope out that sharpen filter. I’m sure Affinity Photo has the same feature set.

D Akey
04-18-2018, 07:06 AM
Loving every one of them. You have a whole lot of color schemes in your bag of tricks. They all work so well too. Sharpening. I usually have gone the other way with blurring to one degree or other. But sharpening's helping to produce a signature look. As I've said before, I really admire your painterly style. So how big are you working usually where you need to sharpen? I would think that if you were blowing things up you might run into artifacting. But I don't see any.

Chad Weatherford
04-23-2018, 09:42 AM
All nice works of art Chad! I will have to scope out that sharpen filter. I’m sure Affinity Photo has the same feature set.

Thanks Robert!

Chad Weatherford
04-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Loving every one of them. You have a whole lot of color schemes in your bag of tricks. They all work so well too. Sharpening. I usually have gone the other way with blurring to one degree or other. But sharpening's helping to produce a signature look. As I've said before, I really admire your painterly style. So how big are you working usually where you need to sharpen? I would think that if you were blowing things up you might run into artifacting. But I don't see any.

Thanks DAkey, I like trying out different things to kept it interesting, but feel like my palette gravitates towards blue a lot. I'm hoping as the year rolls on and the seasons evolve the color palette will change as well ha. These are about 2000 pixels across. I believe the limitation is a bit over 2000 for the ArtRage app. The sharpen just crispens things a bit on a smaller sized sketch. Sometimes I'll size them up in PS to to 4500 pixels across to clean up some edges, then size them back down. Surprised I don't get more artifacting with that process.

Chad Weatherford
04-23-2018, 09:55 AM
This is another one that is only a small percentage Fingerpaint with ArtRage, the rest is Photoshop. Still qualifying it for this series because Im desperate to catch up since we are almost through with April! Finished for March of Robots on Instagram.

Chad Weatherford
04-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Back to nocturns in early March...

Chad Weatherford
04-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Sketched this mostly from across the street. I love doing iPad sketches at night but it must look creepy to everyone else...especially looking through shop windows haha.

HwyStar
04-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Great lighting on that last one Chaf!

D Akey
04-25-2018, 08:45 AM
Sa-weet! As if you're in an air traffic control tower at an international airport making sure all the planes land properly in their respective destinations. Good stuff.

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Great lighting on that last one Chaf!

Thanks Robert!

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Sa-weet! As if you're in an air traffic control tower at an international airport making sure all the planes land properly in their respective destinations. Good stuff.

Haha! Thanks D Akey.

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Anther commuter sketch. I finally got the desktop version of ArtRage. I was hoping I would be able to easily extract some video process, it it looks like it'll be a multi staged process of playing the script, recording the screen with QuickTime, and editing in iMovie to speed it up to a digestible size. Ugh, Procreate allows you to simply export and share a video.

I could share the scripts here I guess, but they are pretty hefty files

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:32 PM
Cold day in March from a couple years ago. If I were to do it again I might not make the bushes such a singular dark mass.

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Quick-ish commuter sketch.

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:38 PM
Concept experiment, using serendipity and happy accidents to come up with an idea by mashing photos together with various layer settings to create a chaotic jumble, then picking something out of the sparks that fly. This one was a Fingerpaint turned over to Photoshop with a stylus and back again.

Chad Weatherford
04-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Abandoned boat near English Bay in Vancouver.

HwyStar
04-28-2018, 10:14 PM
Great colors Chad! Sorry about calling you "Chaf" in my other post. The "d" is right by the "f". Does that count?

D Akey, DarkOwnt and I were having a discussion in another thread about paint strokes and I am really noticing that you do try and vary the loading and thinners in your strokes. Quite a bit actually. I really see the loading happening in the 8th and 9th photos. Do you try and follow any specific rule when using the thicker paint strokes? Are you trying to show more emphasis on the man's shoulder in the 9th painting by giving it dimension? Help me understand when and when not to use thick brush strokes. I like this effect and it gives our digital paintings a more real-oil look.

I know that the ArtRage staff would like to give us better video output capabilities but the way the software is designed it is impossible for them to make it behave like Procreate. But, Procreate does not have real oil brushes or real canvas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNC7MBomD4M

Chad Weatherford
04-29-2018, 10:17 AM
Great colors Chad! Sorry about calling you "Chaf" in my other post. The "d" is right by the "f". Does that count?

D Akey, DarkOwnt and I were having a discussion in another thread about paint strokes and I am really noticing that you do try and vary the loading and thinners in your strokes. Quite a bit actually. I really see the loading happening in the 8th and 9th photos. Do you try and follow any specific rule when using the thicker paint strokes? Are you trying to show more emphasis on the man's shoulder in the 9th painting by giving it dimension? Help me understand when and when not to use thick brush strokes. I like this effect and it gives our digital paintings a more real-oil look.

I know that the ArtRage staff would like to give us better video output capabilities but the way the software is designed it is impossible for them to make it behave like Procreate. But, Procreate does not have real oil brushes or real canvas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNC7MBomD4M

No worries on the 'f' I do it all the time, which is funny because one of my designers on the show Dinotrux had the name 'Chaf', so it could potentially cause confusion.

Regarding the thicker paint stokes....ah sometimes there is no rhyme or reason. The thicker paint creates nice texture with canvas lighting and sometimes I'll keep painting with it not realising I am, which can end up looking sloppy in many cases. The main reason I vary the strokes is for variety in the mark making.

That said, sometimes I consciously try to be more deliberate, using the impasto technique in a more traditional sense, where the lights are painted thick and the darks are kept thinner in application.

For many of these sketches though, it's mostly for textural effects and relying on an element of serendipity.

Regarding the video output...it can't be impossible to build in a process to convert the script to video?.... I guess it is a matter of resources and keeping the program lean as possible. Perhaps a future update will include this ability.

Thanks Robert!

Chad Weatherford
04-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Painted this under two different lighting conditions which makes it a bit wish washy. Lesson learned. I should have been more deliberate and not changed my mind a few times while painting. Carry through!

Chad Weatherford
04-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Cargo ship sketched on the trip into work a few years back. Finished with some minor Photoshop alterations.

Chad Weatherford
04-29-2018, 10:27 AM
ArtRage still life sketch. The vignetting of the canvas was added in Photoshop...essentially digital-scraping off the paint in those areas.

HwyStar
04-30-2018, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the tips on Impasto strokes. I will be trying that technique with my next paintings.

I really like how the super-structure of the container ship pops off the other colors. That is such a risk-taking move! No risks, no gains sometimes?

D Akey
04-30-2018, 07:03 AM
These are all great. "Postcards from the Zone."

Chad Weatherford
04-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the tips on Impasto strokes. I will be trying that technique with my next paintings.

I really like how the super-structure of the container ship pops off the other colors. That is such a risk-taking move! No risks, no gains sometimes?

Pleasure! Let me know how it works!

Thanks for the comment on the container ship. I don't think I was even processing that it was a risk...I was just in the battle trying to survive!

Chad Weatherford
04-30-2018, 02:48 PM
These are all great. "Postcards from the Zone."

Thanks D Akey. What's that even mean? Haha

Chad Weatherford
04-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Sketch looking under the Burrard Bridge. This Bridge was a mess of traffic last week, as someone was attempting (or succeeded) to jump off the nearby Granville street Bridge. Horrible.

I just realised I messed up the date stamp on this.

D Akey
04-30-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks D Akey. What's that even mean? Haha

Postcards from the Zone -- where each picture you paint on your journey is done while in "the Zone" meaning you're in the groove, you're cookin', you're hot, where all your moves are right. And the play on the idea that you're always traveling. . . um, you may be that young where you didn't experience sending scenic postcards from one's vacation places. The cliché was: "Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here." Sort of fits. Only you don't really need to write anything since your paintings speak the sentiment most articulately. My work, when I was off or out of sorts showed up as bad paintings that day. Since yous are so cool, I assume you are having a wonderful time. And because you post them, it's sharing the place, so if we don't go to those locations, you bring the locations to us as a courtesy. :cool::)

Chad Weatherford
05-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Postcards from the Zone -- where each picture you paint on your journey is done while in "the Zone" meaning you're in the groove, you're cookin', you're hot, where all your moves are right. And the play on the idea that you're always traveling. . . um, you may be that young where you didn't experience sending scenic postcards from one's vacation places. The cliché was: "Having a wonderful time. Wish you were here." Sort of fits. Only you don't really need to write anything since your paintings speak the sentiment most articulately. My work, when I was off or out of sorts showed up as bad paintings that day. Since yous are so cool, I assume you are having a wonderful time. And because you post them, it's sharing the place, so if we don't go to those locations, you bring the locations to us as a courtesy. :cool::)

Thanks for that! No I'm not too young to remember postcards...I think they are still around right? I understand the phrase now and appreciate it. That's cool to think of them as postcards from my daily existence. They are a bit of a visual diary, a compression of my life since arriving n Canada.

Chad Weatherford
05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
15 - 20 minute sketch from the commute from March a few years ago, trying to capture the blinding effect of the morning light glancing off the water after a nights rain.

Chad Weatherford
05-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Sketch of my daughter from March last year. This one was all ArtRage except for the date stamp.

Chad Weatherford
05-02-2018, 03:07 PM
A quick study of concrete and wood at Ambleside Park here in West Vancouver.

Another one pretty much all ArtRage Fingerpaint on the IPad.

sabena
05-03-2018, 06:29 AM
Very well done, :D

HwyStar
05-03-2018, 11:58 PM
I think Feb 26th and Feb 28th are my favorites.

Question Chad: When you start your finger paintings do you set the canvas color or do you play with that after you have done the block in? I know some paintings you leave it at white.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the canvas color and how you approach each painting.

Chad Weatherford
05-05-2018, 06:32 PM
I change it up. Sometimes I like to tone the canvas with an orangey or reddish undercoat. A lot of times I'll add an underpainting after I've blocked something in...only with the the magic of digital. More often than not, this underpainting will be a photo of an actual painting...which provides the illusion of additional 'tooth' for the brushstrokes, and provides an extra layer of texture complexity when finished, as little bits show through the final strokes. Sometimes I'll combine a photo of a painting with an orange undercoat, and sometimes I'll leave the canvas white. Other times I'll remove the underpainting layer after I've painted on a layer over the top for a while, which gives me some unexpected results with the stark white showing through. I like to experiment a lot.

Chad Weatherford
05-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Passing storm over the Granville island docks.

Chad Weatherford
05-05-2018, 06:36 PM
10-15 minute sketch of a commuter a few years back.

Chad Weatherford
05-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Sketching at the bus stop. The people were added in later. Making use of the thick impasto oil brush!

D Akey
05-05-2018, 09:51 PM
I change it up. Sometimes I like to tone the canvas with an orangey or reddish undercoat. A lot of times I'll add an underpainting after I've blocked something in...only with the the magic of digital. More often than not, this underpainting will be a photo of an actual painting...which provides the illusion of additional 'tooth' for the brushstrokes, and provides an extra layer of texture complexity when finished, as little bits show through the final strokes. Sometimes I'll combine a photo of a painting with an orange undercoat, and sometimes I'll leave the canvas white. Other times I'll remove the underpainting layer after I've painted on a layer over the top for a while, which gives me some unexpected results with the stark white showing through. I like to experiment a lot.

Another added bonus to working that way is that the art forgers would be totally stumped. Reshuffles the spontaneity factor to include "found objects" as it were, even if you found them on your own hard drive, that appear in that moment. To use a musician's idea it's riffing.

Also relieves the boredom factor of just following the same formula over and over. And yet the appearance has enough of a similarity to recognize or at least suspect it's yours. Good way to mix it up. Certainly the results are always rather exciting to look at. And I can appreciate showing all these various paintings side by side. Part of the interest is looking at the variations as much as the similarities.

pat1940
05-06-2018, 07:00 AM
Chad, I love your finger paintings, so much talent, all my children live in vancouver so very familiar with it, well just thought of it, lol is that vancouver canada, that where they are

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 07:57 PM
:(
Chad, I love your finger paintings, so much talent, all my children live in vancouver so very familiar with it, well just thought of it, lol is that vancouver canada, that where they are

Thank you so much! Yup, Vancouver Canada.

When we first got here we were looking for a car...and were delighted to find a dealership in Vancouver that offered great deals.

Turns out those great deals were in Vancouver Washington.:(

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Another added bonus to working that way is that the art forgers would be totally stumped. Reshuffles the spontaneity factor to include "found objects" as it were, even if you found them on your own hard drive, that appear in that moment. To use a musician's idea it's riffing.

Also relieves the boredom factor of just following the same formula over and over. And yet the appearance has enough of a similarity to recognize or at least suspect it's yours. Good way to mix it up. Certainly the results are always rather exciting to look at. And I can appreciate showing all these various paintings side by side. Part of the interest is looking at the variations as much as the similarities.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback D Akey, I'm glad there is some common thread through all the variations. In doing this volume of sketches, I've noticed I have some tired tendencies and try to fight them, or at least alter my path a little to expand on my visual vocabulary.

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Another March nocturn sketch from a couple years back.

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 08:15 PM
I have a video of this one that I extracted from the ArtScript. (Finally got the desktop version!)

Does anyone know a way to upload the video here?

The next 3 are all ArtRage on the iPad...from Mount Seymour Provincial Park. Last day of skiing for the season. The setting sun was amazing...I could have done a bunch more sketches. Most of these were from photos and memory as I was with my 11 yr old daughter.

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Mount Seymour Provincial Park. Maybe an hour and a half on this sketch.

Chad Weatherford
05-09-2018, 08:19 PM
...and a 10 minute sketch of the same location.

D Akey
05-09-2018, 09:07 PM
. . .Turns out those great deals were in Vancouver Washington.

Hahaha. Make the mistake once, you tend to not make the same mistake again. Back when I was riding my thumb me and my buddy did as well. Not to buy a car, but left me wondering how much Honest Joe Vancouver (or whoever) got around back in the day. I think he set up a canoe dealership at the mouth of the Colombia or something. . .biggest west of the Mississippi.

BTW, did you figure out how to set your canvas using a custom pic?
Not sure about your tablet. But in the full version look under
View>Canvas Settings
Grain> Load from disk
Then from that floating menu you can import an image that essentially works like a displacement map sort of thing with high and low points. I recommend a BW high contrast image to get the full effect as a surface.

And play around with the settings. You can of course do a normal grain or you can do some wild image if that interests you. You would have to experiment to see what works for you -- if anything. But I guarantee it will stir the pot. I mean, I could see you doing a value study as a starter and using that as a canvas onto which you could apply thin or thick or scratchy colors in keeping with what you like. Might be out of control and you'll hate it. But try if it strikes your fancy. There's lots of sliders and choices so it's not a thing that you can use only one way.

D Akey
05-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Re: uploading a video. . .

You can do a link to a YouTube or Vimeo or whatever. I don't think you can directly upload to this site.

HwyStar
05-09-2018, 10:44 PM
I really like the effects going on in the Mar 25th painting.

Upon closer inspection (F11, full-screen mode) it appears you may be using multiple layers then you may be messing with the opacity of each layer? Some of the brush strokes seem to be sitting on top of the previous layer, and so on and the opacity usage allows the brush strokes from below to come through?

I also noticed those two tree hole where you used an eraser to make it instead of using paint. You do not notice them unless you look at the image closely. Then I was able to see the multiple layers going on. Brilliant! That makes sense since you are so proficient at using PS.

HwyStar
05-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Quick question Chad: How many layers, on average, would you say you usually use in your paintings? One for each major object?

Chad Weatherford
05-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Re: uploading a video. . .

You can do a link to a YouTube or Vimeo or whatever. I don't think you can directly upload to this site.

Oh got you...thanks!

Chad Weatherford
05-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I really like the effects going on in the Mar 25th painting.

Upon closer inspection (F11, full-screen mode) it appears you may be using multiple layers then you may be messing with the opacity of each layer? Some of the brush strokes seem to be sitting on top of the previous layer, and so on and the opacity usage allows the brush strokes from below to come through?

I also noticed those two tree hole where you used an eraser to make it instead of using paint. You do not notice them unless you look at the image closely. Then I was able to see the multiple layers going on. Brilliant! That makes sense since you are so proficient at using PS.

I try not to mess with the opacity of a layer unless it is a global adjustment to whatever is underneath (light blooms, color tints, etc.) but I see what you are talking about. It may have been an accident rather than a technique. Sometimes I'll grab the watercolour brush by mistake, but there seems to be some pen tool with dropped opacity so not sure how it happened...it was pretty feverish on that sketch.

I think for this one I had 4 layers to start with, the underpainting (an imported image of a completed painting, ...I think by CW Mundy), a quick and nasty sketch layer, the fg with the trees, and the bg. I started thumbnail size and got the blockin then sized it up. The trees were scrubbed in pretty quick and I did erase some holes! I created a temp layer for some clouds above the bg, locked the layer and painted within the shapes before flattening down.

Chad Weatherford
05-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Quick question Chad: How many layers, on average, would you say you usually use in your paintings? One for each major object?

yea, typically one for each major object. Eventually I flatten the layers to finish. Sometimes I get carried away with little experiments that I keep in the layer stack (color adjustments, added objects, etc) until l it bogs the file down, then I'll dump a bunch that I either am not using or merge the ones I'm satisfied with.

Chad Weatherford
05-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Used some Photoshop for some big brush passages after the initial ArtRage sketch on this. Also there was a Bonsai tree I chopped down using digital paint as well. It was actually the dominant part of the composition at one stage, but I wasn't feeling the composition. Another painting that was the product of weekly still life sketches with the design team at work.

HwyStar
05-15-2018, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the tips Chad! All great ideas and concepts that I should learn to apply to my paintings. One day at a time huh?

I had not seen CW Mundy's work before. He is a great artist too!

Chad Weatherford
05-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the tips Chad! All great ideas and concepts that I should learn to apply to my paintings. One day at a time huh?

I had not seen CW Mundy's work before. He is a great artist too!

Any time! Yea CW Mundy...great sculptural use of paint strokes.

Chad Weatherford
05-15-2018, 11:44 AM
View outside a hotel window in downtown Vancouver a couple years ago.

Chad Weatherford
05-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Quick and messy commuter sketch.

D Akey
05-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Cool. Still loving the calligraphy if that's the best term to use to describe your marks. Your "messy" could well be anyone else's "finesse-y". It's deceptive how that kind of thing could go flying off the rails for someone not warmed to it where they have to think each and every mark through. I recall in the past trying to copy loose techniques and the original artist probably gave a mark little thought and it was just an expedient way to place some color and value. But for me, I had to be very careful and precise to match that loose look.

In learning guitar there were teachers online who said that copying a recorded piece from a famous musician was very difficult because that's generally not how the original artist did it. And that part of the trick was knowing the scales and certain licks, but it was getting in there and feeling it one's self -- getting into the feel of it, which then opens the door to letting one's own artist out of the box.

Anyway, very cool, looking at your work you put up.

Chad Weatherford
06-17-2018, 06:47 AM
Cool. Still loving the calligraphy if that's the best term to use to describe your marks. Your "messy" could well be anyone else's "finesse-y". It's deceptive how that kind of thing could go flying off the rails for someone not warmed to it where they have to think each and every mark through. I recall in the past trying to copy loose techniques and the original artist probably gave a mark little thought and it was just an expedient way to place some color and value. But for me, I had to be very careful and precise to match that loose look.

In learning guitar there were teachers online who said that copying a recorded piece from a famous musician was very difficult because that's generally not how the original artist did it. And that part of the trick was knowing the scales and certain licks, but it was getting in there and feeling it one's self -- getting into the feel of it, which then opens the door to letting one's own artist out of the box.

Anyway, very cool, looking at your work you put up.

Some marks are more deliberate than others, but definitely there is a bit of slap and dash approach...sometimes I have to finish them pretty quick on a bus. There have been a few instances where I get overly absorbed in a painting and miss a stop though. All in all, the messier ones retrospectively look a bit clumsy to me at times I feel like they might translate better with traditional materials rather than digital. As always I appreciate your kind observations...they usually have the effect of making me appreciate my sketches in a new light. Thank you!

Chad Weatherford
06-17-2018, 06:51 AM
Sorry to drop off the earth with these. Time has been challenging...I'm behind on the year but have been updating Instagram more regularly. I'll try to catch up!