PDA

View Full Version : Distribute oil paint equally

Optymistyk
10-12-2017, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I'm playing around with glazing so I need my paint to be half-transparent, but with half-transparent oil brush when two strokes overlap (or even if a single stroke overlaps with itself - for example a back-and-forth stroke) the paint in that spot becomes thicker, making it less transparent . I want to have a large area of oil paint of consistent transparency, how do I go about that?

HannahRage
10-12-2017, 04:00 PM
You won't be able to do that with the oil brush, but you can maybe do it with the following tools (these all let you set a specific opacity, or blend evenly):

- Watercolor (InstaDry on)
- Airbrush (turn Autoflow off, adjust Hardness and Opacity)
- Gloop Pen
- Ink Pen
- Custom Brush (using 100% Grain Progression so the pattern covers the background evenly, rather than overlapping with each stroke)

But only with the same stroke (as soon as you start a new stroke, it will overlap the previous one).

You might find it easier to paint at much lower thinners on a separate layer and then reduce the opacity of that entire layer. The overlapping strokes won't be an issue if you have enough paint on the brush.

You could also use the palette knife to go over your strokes and smooth them out afterwards.

markw
10-13-2017, 04:29 AM
I recall AR user fashmir did a brief tutorial about Glazing in AR a long time back which may be of interest.
You can find it here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5829&d=1173559824