PDA

View Full Version : Light and color study

Daniel Aubert
08-07-2017, 11:59 PM

Trying out different colors and light settings from what I am used to.

Reference image from http://www.c-heads.com/2017/07/18/surrounded-by-lights/

Daniel Aubert
08-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Another previous study.

Daniel Aubert
08-08-2017, 12:06 AM

Actually this is the final version.

eighty+
08-08-2017, 12:37 AM
Daniel as norm just Fantastic will it be ok for me to copy again. (yes\no)regards 8+

CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE

D Akey
08-08-2017, 03:02 AM
Cool. First one's dazzling with that bright color. Neat.

Daniel Aubert
08-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Daniel as norm just Fantastic will it be ok for me to copy again. (yes\no)regards 8+

CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE

Yes! Always, my friend! Cheers!

Catmandolin
08-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Hi Daniel--just saw your work--amazing and well worth studying. Are you strictly digital because your work looks like you have studied at an atelier. The way you handle palettes are inspiring. One thing I saw was that process demo that you did and the spartan sketch. I have seen so many people over detail a sketch then literally mop themselves in a corner when it comes to the paint application. Glad to have found your work.--jay

Daniel Aubert
08-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Hi Daniel--just saw your work--amazing and well worth studying. Are you strictly digital because your work looks like you have studied at an atelier. The way you handle palettes are inspiring. One thing I saw was that process demo that you did and the spartan sketch. I have seen so many people over detail a sketch then literally mop themselves in a corner when it comes to the paint application. Glad to have found your work.--jay

Hello, Jay!

I am really glad you like my work! :D I come from traditional media yes, but I haven't been in any atelier or art school. I always taught myself and I was very inspired by other artists. From anime and manga to the great masters, and of course from reality. I always liked to draw, so when I was a young boy my father told me that the great masters, like Da Vinci and Michelangelo, used to train a lot from just looking at the things around us. The shapes, the light, the colors. So I have been drawing for most of my life. I am 25. There is still (always) much to learn. And I have recently graduated in Architecture, so i think the course also helped with a bit of theory on composition.
But I must say that I really developed my techiniques in color when I got to digital. Before that I just used pencil and paper most of the time. Just tried a few times with oils and acrilycs. But the main thing was digital for a long time.I am into digital for 7 years now.
Just a few months ago I got back to watercolors, which is the traditional media I prefer (for now haha).

About the sketch... I think it maybe related to the person's personality and mood. I am not very patience, and I am very explosive sometimes... So I think this reflects on the way I draw and paint, with very loose sketches and more impressionistic painitng. I guess, haha. I don't have patience to do very detailed scenarios for example, with complex perspective.
But I know that ,in order to learn - since I never was in an art school where your tutor and friends will keep pushing you to learn more stuff - I have to try and break these barriers I have sometimes, to get out of the confort zone, or I won't improve. One example of this was the series Love scene study I made a while ago: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?53024-Love-scene-study&highlight=love+scene+study
It took me some weeks to finish it (of course I did not paint every day).

And last year I tried to achieve kind of the same results I get in a digital portrait, but with acrylic paiting. And I did Matilda:

So that is it. I try not to stop, and I know that I still have a long way ahead. And I will try to enjoy the ride of course, haha.

Thanks a lot, Jay! Sorry for the long reply.

You can find more stuff at my website: http://www.danielaubert.com/

Cheers!

Daniel Aubert
08-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Oh, and it is also good to mention books: Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney, Light for Visual Artists by Richard Yot and How to Draw by Scott Robertson. This last one is more complex and technical, but it is very good to understand perspective better. But all of them are very visual books. You can find them on amazon. There is a bunch more, but these are the main art books I've read. In amazon you can go clicking the related books at the bottom and search for reviews on them.
Also good to mention youtubers:

Sinix: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUQTqWAaSzhAKRanOpes1nA
Mateusz Ubanowicz: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8BjDleMFNvnikjAI6GdBPg
Borodante: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGgpthBWDbFX2GSljMw-MdQ
Larriva: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC6D6aDGcsVucCm3QEQSLjQ
Ahmed Aldoori: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyqxplQ3PQcCJhEW-GLgXg
Sycra: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5dyu9y0EV0cSvGtbBtHw_w

And so much more

eighty+
08-11-2017, 01:33 AM
Hi Daniel I just love your Matilda is it on canvas trad; acrylic funny

I had the same idea and some time ago be-for my legs went wonky

I was in Brighton and spotted some cheap Acrylic's in W H Smith

which I bought but never got round to trying but you have given me

Fresh heart so might have a smash but have never used Acrylic's so

will be fun to find out :D:D:D ok CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE

Catmandolin
08-11-2017, 04:02 AM
I am huge fan of Scott Robertson. You should check out "The Skilled (or is it skillful) Huntsman)". He takes that story and several of his students run with interpretations of the story from character design and so on. Another good digital painter that I think you would seriously enjoy is an artist who goes by the name of Paper Blue--he is a professional designer--has a book out called "the Art of Paper Blue". This is right up your alley.

I was a beta tester for Mischief for a couple of it's elements--it has what is called an "infinite canvas" --Nick Harris demos it on youtube--but it sort of died out after source forge acquired it but that infinite canvas and the ability to "pin" images to different points within that infinity was really cool. It is still around but have never seen an update so back to the Rage we come a runnin'.

Krita is really good but it is a bear with a bee up its nose to navigate sometimes--so artrage rocks and people like you seem to make sure that we never forget that. LOL!

gxhpainter
08-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Hi Daniel, I am so impressed which all your work, and as an artist that is also self trained ( except for a few college classes and workshops ) I think these days with an internal passion to create and all the great books and internet resources it is not quite the
challenge as it once was. For many years I mistakenly labored under the feeling that only art school trained artists could produce "professional" level work. You are a great example that that is not true at all. Thanks for bringing your energy and vibrant art to the forum!

Catmandolin
08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
i have great respect for anyone who is self taught--when I was in college studying theatre, the art instructor commented to me in front of the class that she was glad that I was a theatre student. The sculpting instructor who was very well know was convinced that i was going to fail his class but then this artist came in one night and saw me struggling and frustrated with this self portrait and she sat down and explained to me the basics about planes--the instructor gave me an A and said that he could not believe that i had made it through his class.

Later I went looking for serious instruction and went to Wetcanvas--I literally begged people to teach me to draw better--they did not have the time--so I went to the moderator and told them that if they would not teach me then let me start a "school" called drawing 101. There was protest but the head mod, for some reason let me draw. I got Watson Guptil to let us use one of their books How to draw what you see by Rudy de Reyna for free and my first classes seriously sucked but then the watercolor people started attending then, respected artists who were well known suddenly volenteered to do classes and so on.

This is what self taught is all about and Daniel and Gary--people like you are my kind of cats. Determined to learn. I'm too stupid to know I'm too stupid to learn so I learn anyway. Funny how that works.

Sorry, slipped into Pirate Jay for a moment but I get really excited when I run across people as good as you guys who are self taught.

Rod Turner
08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Gorgeous work!

Daniel Aubert
08-12-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi Daniel I just love your Matilda is it on canvas trad; acrylic funny

I had the same idea and some time ago be-for my legs went wonky

I was in Brighton and spotted some cheap Acrylic's in W H Smith

which I bought but never got round to trying but you have given me

Fresh heart so might have a smash but have never used Acrylic's so

will be fun to find out :D:D:D ok CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE

Yes, try it! Acrylic is good because it dries fast, and it is not dangerous to health as oils hahaha.
This one was not on a canvas, but on a watercolor paper (canson montval 300g/mē if I am not mistaken).

Daniel Aubert
08-12-2017, 01:48 AM
I am huge fan of Scott Robertson. You should check out "The Skilled (or is it skillful) Huntsman)". He takes that story and several of his students run with interpretations of the story from character design and so on. Another good digital painter that I think you would seriously enjoy is an artist who goes by the name of Paper Blue--he is a professional designer--has a book out called "the Art of Paper Blue". This is right up your alley.

I was a beta tester for Mischief for a couple of it's elements--it has what is called an "infinite canvas" --Nick Harris demos it on youtube--but it sort of died out after source forge acquired it but that infinite canvas and the ability to "pin" images to different points within that infinity was really cool. It is still around but have never seen an update so back to the Rage we come a runnin'.

Krita is really good but it is a bear with a bee up its nose to navigate sometimes--so artrage rocks and people like you seem to make sure that we never forget that. LOL!

Ah, thanks a lot for the references. i am going to look for them.

And yeah Mischief is really amazing for getting the ideas out on an infinite space.

Daniel Aubert
08-12-2017, 02:13 AM
Hi Daniel, I am so impressed which all your work, and as an artist that is also self trained ( except for a few college classes and workshops ) I think these days with an internal passion to create and all the great books and internet resources it is not quite the
challenge as it once was. For many years I mistakenly labored under the feeling that only art school trained artists could produce "professional" level work. You are a great example that that is not true at all. Thanks for bringing your energy and vibrant art to the forum!

:D Thank you very much for your words and sympathy, Gary! Yes, we must be thankful for having all the possibilities to study, research and get inspired nowadays. We only need to have love for what we do, and that can drive us to improving each time more and more. I remember I saw a video with a guy who I think is the director of FZD school of design showing all the facilities, teachers and all the amazing classes you could attend to at the school, but at the end he said that, honestly, you can learn all that stuff for your self today, you just need to have the energy to focus on that. But of course I can see the good side of an art school, which is to have a place where people can inspire each other more directly. When you are by your self you can definetely learn and improve, but may spend more energy to do that... You are your director, teacher, your driver. But of course in any situation you got to have self discipline and love for what you are doing.

And it is very good to have a place like this forum where we can share and inspire each other. Really really good! haha. And also to have an accessible (in many ways) painting software such as Artrage. I must share with you guys this... At the beggining of this year I was called by a local publishing company to make the illustration for a children's book, and at the same time my laptop broke. So I had to use and old one of my brother, a really weak pc. And I thought "I guess I can't even paint on Microsoft paint with it, I might as well just make this illustration with traditional media, which willl take me more time, and if they want to change something, it will be harder. :\ ". But I installed my copy of Artrage 5 and for my surprise it worked very well! So I made the entire book with it. It was a life saver. So thanks for the Artrage team as well, hahahha.

Daniel Aubert
08-12-2017, 02:25 AM
i have great respect for anyone who is self taught--when I was in college studying theatre, the art instructor commented to me in front of the class that she was glad that I was a theatre student. The sculpting instructor who was very well know was convinced that i was going to fail his class but then this artist came in one night and saw me struggling and frustrated with this self portrait and she sat down and explained to me the basics about planes--the instructor gave me an A and said that he could not believe that i had made it through his class.

Later I went looking for serious instruction and went to Wetcanvas--I literally begged people to teach me to draw better--they did not have the time--so I went to the moderator and told them that if they would not teach me then let me start a "school" called drawing 101. There was protest but the head mod, for some reason let me draw. I got Watson Guptil to let us use one of their books How to draw what you see by Rudy de Reyna for free and my first classes seriously sucked but then the watercolor people started attending then, respected artists who were well known suddenly volenteered to do classes and so on.

This is what self taught is all about and Daniel and Gary--people like you are my kind of cats. Determined to learn. I'm too stupid to know I'm too stupid to learn so I learn anyway. Funny how that works.

Sorry, slipped into Pirate Jay for a moment but I get really excited when I run across people as good as you guys who are self taught.

Hahaha. Amazing, Jay. That is the spirit! Keep up the good work and thanks a lot for everything!

Cheers!