PDA

View Full Version : Darlene - portrait painting

Daniel Aubert
07-17-2017, 11:33 AM
SEE THE IMAGE ON THE NEXT REPLY. THIS ONE IS NOT WORKING FOR SOME REASON.

Painting of Darlene (Carly Chaikin) from Mr. Robot. Made in AR5 mostly with the palette knife.

Here are some pics of the process:

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_-vLCTQvw&t=2s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv_-vLCTQvw&t=2s)

Daniel Aubert
07-17-2017, 12:06 PM

now it works :/

RedSaucers
07-17-2017, 09:07 PM
This is really good, and just love Mr Robot!

Daniel Aubert
07-18-2017, 01:28 AM
Thanks! Mr. Robot rules.

sabena
07-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Very ,Very good Work you are a great artist.:rolleyes:

eighty+
07-18-2017, 09:50 AM
HI Daniel looks great I like it but hardly used the knives I stick with the air brush as I at least know were its
going I think :D but seeing what you've done it might knock me out of my comrort zone and bite the bullit and
give them a try ok CIAO SLAINTE

Nacroma
07-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Oh how much I love this show!! And also very interesting to see your progress. I always like it when artists do that. Also glad to see Darlene around here, she's way too underrated

Daniel Aubert
07-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Obrigado, Ana! :D
Thanks guys! :D

Daniel Aubert
07-19-2017, 12:15 PM
HI Daniel looks great I like it but hardly used the knives I stick with the air brush as I at least know were its
going I think :D but seeing what you've done it might knock me out of my comrort zone and bite the bullit and
give them a try ok CIAO SLAINTE

Yeah, you should give it a try. It is kinda messy, but you get used to it. And it is good to have a tilt sensitive tablet, so you can handle the direction of the knife.

eighty+
07-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Daniel.Yeah That's a good point Trouble is I'm painting on a Wacom 21ux. Which can go almost flat to upright I have tried turning it sideways. Thinking to get more lenth. But it get awkward as the tools and colour. Wheel. Don't move
round with it and it's rather heavy I was at the apple shop. Looking at the IPad pro which would be perfect but a bit too expense just to try. Ok. CIAO. SLAINTE

eighty+
07-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Hi. Daniel have had a try with the knife s you can see :Dbut is it ok to use other tools for the fine lines ?? I've

taken copy's of your's so I can see more in detail if its ok with you YES or NO ok Regards Ploos

eighty+
07-23-2017, 11:03 PM
HI Daniel OK I've had a bash with the knife overall I'm quiet pleased with the result even though I only used the Knife
on her face and hair then went back to my fav the air brush as it was quicker for me ok I've posted my copy on my thread that's if you want to see it :D but thanks again for showing me how as I did enjoy it :) CIAO SLAINTE

L Skylar Brown
07-24-2017, 04:47 AM
Excellent work.

Daniel Aubert
07-26-2017, 01:57 AM
Hi. Daniel have had a try with the knife s you can see :Dbut is it ok to use other tools for the fine lines ?? I've

taken copy's of your's so I can see more in detail if its ok with you YES or NO ok Regards Ploos

Cool. Yeah, it is ok to use another tool for drawing first. But it also depends on each person way of drawing, haha. I personally don't like to use the air brush. I think it is too "digital". In "Darlene" I only used the oil brush at the beginning to make a rough sketch, as you can see in the process pictures. Then the rest was 98% palette knife on the same layer, so in the final piece you can't even see the oil brush strokes. Just used a custom brush to add some rake details.

With the palette knife, I try to think about the planes of the face, tilting the pen in orther to get he right angles. At the same time paying attention to value and color, proportion as well. I like to use this tool because of the texture and because I think it mixes color better than theoil brush. But it is a matter of taste of course. And I also found out that if you use a less textured canvas (like the default paper one that comes when you open Artrage) you get more bump texture from the pallete kinfe. And you have to tweak a bit with the settings. I used these seetings for this painting:

And YES it is ok to take a copy of it, haha!

Daniel Aubert
07-26-2017, 02:00 AM
Oh, and in order to enhance the bump texture of the painting, when it was finished, I duplicated the layer and changed the bump blending mode to "Add". So you can really see it better.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

eighty+
07-26-2017, 02:17 AM
Hi Daniel. I lost when it comes to layers. So your info on the bumb and add is beyond my ken Ok.