PDA

View Full Version : Saving landscape mode canvas as portrait

Enug
05-19-2017, 02:08 AM
While painting an image in landscape mode I change the position of the canvas with the canvas positioner so now my canvas is in portrait instead of landscape. (There is a reason why I do this.) I continue painting in portrait mode and wish to save as a portrait but it saves in original landscape mode.

The only way I have found to overcome this is to open the painting again (saved as landscape) and expand the canvas so it's large enough to rotate the painting to portrait and then crop unwanted canvas, I can now save as a portrait canvas. Transform doesn't work as it only transforms the paint layer and not the canvas.

Is there a better way?

DarkOwnt
05-19-2017, 03:08 AM
While painting an image in landscape mode I change the position of the canvas with the canvas positioner so now my canvas is in portrait instead of landscape. (There is a reason why I do this.) I continue painting in portrait mode and wish to save as a portrait but it saves in original landscape mode.

The only way I have found to overcome this is to open the painting again (saved as landscape) and expand the canvas so it's large enough to rotate the painting to portrait and then crop unwanted canvas, I can now save as a portrait canvas. Transform doesn't work as it only transforms the paint layer and not the canvas.

Is there a better way?

EDIT: THIS could WRONG or RIGHT for you (see below)
--------------------------------------------------------
1. Have you tried using Edit-> Rotate 90 or Rotate -90.

2. If you have the memory for it, you could simply use a square canvas the size of your largest dimension. Paint only in the rectangular area of interest (landscape or portrait) and keep the canvas at a color which does not annoy you too much.
You can then rotate back and forth as many times as you wish saving whenever you wish.
-------------------------------------------------------

I just realized, paper texture is NOT rotated when the painting is rotated... If you paint while the painting is rotated at different orientations (+90, -90) you will get different interaction with the canvas as its texture will be rotated relative to when you started...

So IF you need realistic interaction with texture which does not change each time you rotate, you need to keep the orientation of the canvas the same during the entire process and just use the canvas positioner to rotate the work. Trying to save a landscape work as portrait and vice versa will break the consistency.

IF texture orientation does not matter, one of the two suggestions could work... but then the transform you attempted would work just as well if a little inconvenient.

I feel like I am missing something ? What are you trying to do?

:)

markw
05-19-2017, 05:15 AM
Hello June & DarkOwnt
As you, DarkOwnt have said the easiest way in AR5 is to use the Edit option to Rotate 90.
But I thought I might add here the steps I’ve used in Past versions of AR (I originally posted these in user ‘eighty+’ Bus Sketch’es thread) which may be of use to you June or indeed others not using AR5 and wish to transform the Canvas orientation.
One last thing, also as noted by you DarkOwnt, the canvas grain will not get rotated, so if canvas interaction+orientation is important then you could make a copy of the canvas grain you started with and save that rotated by 90 and then load that rotated version to continue with.

1: Go to Menu > Edit > Resize Painting.
2: Uncheck ‘Preserve Original Aspect’ in the window that opens (This is important!)
3: Make a note of your current canvas height. (You will need this later)
4: Type into the Height field the paintings current Width and click OK.

You should now have a square canvas with your painting in the middle.

5: From the Edit menu choose ’Transform All Layers’ to bring up the Transform bounding box all around the edge of the painting.
6: Rotate the contents of your painting using the Transform bounding box 90 degrees. When happy click Enter/Return on the keyboard. Be sure not to accidentally translate your painting vertical or horizontally! Only rotate it!
7: Go Back to Menu > Edit > Resize Painting.
8: Uncheck ‘Preserve Original Aspect’ (This is still important!)
9: Find your note of the old height of the painting and type that into the Width field. Click OK.

If all has got well you should now have a correctly orientated canvas.

Enug
05-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks to both of you for your help. I should have stated that I am using AR4.5.:o I tried Mark's solution and it worked for me tho I think it involved a few more steps than my workaround - thanks for showing me another way.

DO Just to explain why I wanted to do this. I had previously made an abstract background and wanted to select portion for a new painting (see my "Stream thru Misty Woodlands"). The portion I selected was in landscape mode and I pasted it as a new layer and closed off the original layer to continue working on this new layer which I wanted to rotate so as to have the canvas in portrait mode.

Similar to this...