PDA

View Full Version : Tracing Import

ScribblerKnight
04-28-2017, 02:44 AM
I have an Android Yoga book with Artrage 1.1.20 pre installed. In every other respect its a dream combination for me but there is always something. There is an issue importing images to trace (its a particular project that’s come up) importing images above the reset (default?) canvas size of 960x564 (960*960 maybe) I’ve tried every combination of original image size up to and even way beyond 2048X2048 and although the image is scaled to fit the set canvas size from trace its been scaled down and then scaled up again with consequent loss of fine detail. I’ve tried all the import methods even Sharing (export to) from photo. Direct layer import gave the game away as then the layer is always 960 whatever the canvas size The exception is image import from the gallery which comes in at 1920 that’s good enough but zoomed in it still has scaling artifacts whereas the original PNG is pin sharp at 2048x2048 and 1920 same zoom. So why two apparently arbitrary default import sizes and why scaling up and down even when the original is the same as the import-to canvas size. One way to get rid of most of the artifacts is to upscale the original to 4096x4096 in gimp (Yoga Book Android handles this easily) then it imports at 1920 much clearer. I really don’t want to do that for all the images I need to trace.

Help.

Yoga Book YB1-X90F Android 6.01 all up to date.
4GB ram 64GB SSD

HannahRage
04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Tracing images are scaled to fit your current canvas when imported. This is for memory reasons, which are behind a lot of decisions in the mobile apps (if the app is anywhere near a memory limit and you're trying to import a giant file and adjust it, things will go very badly).

If you crop your tracing image before importing, it will remain closer to 'actual size' without needing to zoom in.

For reference:

Importing to layer will also import at the current canvas size.
Importing images to create a new painting will create a canvas of the image size... up to the canvas size limits.
Importing a reference will shrink it to a set size for display.
Creating a tracing image from reference will act like a normal reference (it uses the same source image, the Reference image menu is just a shortcut)

Also the 'default' canvas size is based on your device's screen resolution, so will be different for everyone.

If this isn't what's happening for you, then something may actually be wrong. We're just testing the app at our end to doublecheck, but can't see the same problems. The fact you're using the Lenovo build might be related - we don't have a current test device for Lenovo handy, so maybe you're seeing something different.

Direct layer import gave the game away as then the layer is always 960 whatever the canvas size

Okay, so if you import a 2000 pixel image to a 2000 pixel canvas, it doesn't fit to the edges? Can you walk me exactly through what you're seeing here and where you're importing from?

edit: okay, I've found one problem when exporting FROM another app to ArtRage. If I start in ArtRage and import, the canvas remains at full size. Can you tell me *exactly* what steps you're taking?

ScribblerKnight
05-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Can you tell me *exactly* what steps you're taking?

Hi HannahRage and thanks for the excellent response, the list of what's supposed to happen was most helpful not always easy to figure out what's happening - or not from the user end - any how in the middle of running some more tests just to be sure I hadn't missed something - I hadn't by the way - a firmware upgrade came through - a big one judging by the time it took to install and now something has changed.

Now when I import an image to a layer it comes in small as before I scale it to the size of the canvas and as before the image is pretty awfull but here's the difference now when I press accept the image is upscaled from the original (I guess) as clear as it can be. That wasn't happening before and by the look of it, wasn't happening for the tracing import either - but that was under the hood and not so obvious. The point is both are now as sharp as the original and I'm a happy bunny. I don't think its even worth trying to figure out whatever complicated jive between the firmware the hardware and the app got unset and then reset by the upgrade install - I'm guessing its nothing anyone could predict or intended to fix, so long as it stays fixed I'm okay with that.

One thing that's come out of this; there is still a definite payoff when importing images with a lot of fine detail if you first resize the original to about twice the 2048 resolution, most of the time you won't need it but if you need to zoom way in on the canvas you will see a difference. One possible candidate could be if you want to rework a previously exported project and you don't have the original ptg file only the finished image. Just a thought.

Final thought: Is there any reason not to install the latest version of the app or is the Lenovo Yoga Book Version in some way tailored to the machine - only it looks to me like the revisions upgrades and bug fixes could be worth having.

HannahRage
05-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Fantastic, I'm glad to hear it was a weird device problem, and not actually our fault ;) We are looking at the import sizes if you start in another app, so that may change.

Final thought: Is there any reason not to install the latest version of the app or is the Lenovo Yoga Book Version in some way tailored to the machine - only it looks to me like the revisions upgrades and bug fixes could be worth having.

Hmmm... actually, I don't know. We generally have to upload updates to all the relevant stores to distribute it and they all work differently. I'm not sure how that works at the Lenovo end or if we need to create custom builds for them somehow.

I'm trying to find out from the behind-the-scenes people, and will get back to you.