PDA

View Full Version : Commissioned work

Henry Stahle
03-10-2017, 11:44 PM
In my work as illustrating I sometimes get some challenging tasks. This is one of them. I sent my sketch to the publishing house (making educational books) on my concept to get some feedback on the main ideas and some details. This is the resulting approved sketch that I will use as reference. I am used to have the sketch in blue under the line art. I work at double size in 300 dpi.

Henry Stahle
03-11-2017, 10:15 PM
In order to make it easy to later on make changes in my "a little" complex illustration, I keep everything on separate layers. Every item layer group, every lineart layer, every colour layer, on its own. That makes it easy to adjust and correct if I need to. I realise that there will be many layers in this picture, so I will make one separate picture file for each corner, one for the bank corner and so on. Each corner will contain about 15 - 20 layers. The middle with the round about will not be that complex, but still it will be a picture file of its own. The ArtRage files will be 5. The sum of all layers maybe 100! that is why I make separate files not to make it too big and hard to handle.

The sixth image file will be the one with the arrows and text layers (done in Affinity Designer). Each separate "corner file" will then be imported into Affinity as a png and stacked with the arrows and texts on top. After that it will be sent to my editor...

Henry Stahle
03-12-2017, 11:12 PM
I use Affinity Designer (...by Serif. I used Serif Draw+ before...) to compose the picture. Bitmaps from ArtRage and arrows and text from Designer. Whenever I like I can adjust every piece, even the bitmaps from ArtRage, inside Designer, since it also got advanced bitmap painting, not only advanced vector painting / drawing. Here is how it looks like (so far).

DarkOwnt
03-13-2017, 07:33 AM
I use Affinity Designer (...by Serif. I used Serif Draw+ before...) to compose the picture. Bitmaps from ArtRage and arrows and text from Designer. Whenever I like I can adjust every piece, even the bitmaps from ArtRage, inside Designer, since it also got advanced bitmap painting, not only advanced vector painting / drawing. Here is how it looks like (so far).

Wow. Affinity designer looks really slick and professional from the website. What's your take on Affinity Designer? Pros, cons? Worth the money? (it's only around 60 dollars)

Henry Stahle
03-14-2017, 07:12 AM
Wow. Affinity designer looks really slick and professional from the website. What's your take on Affinity Designer? Pros, cons? Worth the money? (it's only around 60 dollars) I have been using vector software a lot. Started out with Flash and next Serif Draw+ and then Illustrator. This is by far the one I like the best yet. At a very nice price! It has all the tools I need because it is also a solid bitmap painting program, just like ArtRage. This circle was done using vector drawing and the texture is done by using bitmap painting in Affinity Designer. Very cool! I really recommend this software.

Henry Stahle
03-14-2017, 07:18 AM
This was sent to my editor today and I is going to be published. Bitmaps painted in ArtRage 5 and the graphics design in Affinity Designer.

kaiko
03-16-2017, 03:14 PM
... It has all the tools I need because it is also a solid bitmap painting program, just like ArtRage...
So Henry, why then do you keep using Artrage? I'm curious about your thoughts!
:)

Henry Stahle
03-17-2017, 10:34 AM
So Henry, why then do you keep using Artrage? I'm curious about your thoughts!
:)

I don't know... just a habit? Or is it because it is so simple to use..? I been using AR for many years, it is always there. It is limited compared to Affinity just the way AR is to Photoshop or Illustrator. ArtRage is just simple enough...

Well, I don't know...

kaiko
03-17-2017, 02:11 PM
...Or is it because it is so simple to use..?...
I believe this is the right answer Henry.
Yesterday I played a little bit with Affinity Designer and I found it to be too much complicated...

Thank you for your thoughts