PDA

View Full Version : Help me rescuing my painting .. the canvas turned empty after opening the .ptg

Almossawer
02-28-2017, 04:15 AM
Hi, there ArtRage community .

As i stated, I was working on a painting and saved it closed the program -no crash- .. Opened the painting the next day and the canvas is empty and no layers just nothing of the painting data although the painting file seems big and fine.
I googled the problem and found a thread here on the forum stating that this issue means that the file of the painting is slightly corrupted because of a crash and somebody here managed to extract the painting from the file. So i'll be thankful if anyone can do so.

Here it is the painting on google drive ..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_TAVx5l9CBESGtIQUQ3SEhRRU0/view?usp=sharing

HannahRage
02-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Oh dear! That usually happens when the program gets shut down before it's finished saving properly (so if you shut down the computer, or something killed the background process).

Try opening the file using File > Import Image... If there is anything to rescue, this will let you open the preview image as a full sized PNG. If that doesn't work, then there is nothing left.

[Edit: hmmm. I see that isn't working for this file. Just passing this along to someone].

Things that might help in the future:

- Consider upgrading to ArtRage 5. ArtRage 5 has been rewritten so that the saving process isn't vulnerable like this. You might still lose your latest changes if something goes wrong, but you won't lose the entire painting. And the fewer people I have to apologise for after they lose their work, the better ;)

- If you're using ArtRage 4, go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Advanced Preferences and turn on the backup saves. This will keep a 'spare' file with your previous save, so that if anything happens to the current file, you can still go back to the previous step.

- you can also manually backup your paintings by copying the file/using 'save as' occasionally.

Almossawer
03-01-2017, 02:58 AM
Thanks Hannah for your concern. Actually it'll be great if i can have the painting back :rolleyes: but there's nothing to cry about, I'll just paint it again :D
Btw .. I have Arterage Lite, so does Artrage 5 lite have the new saving feature.

HannahRage
03-02-2017, 03:27 AM
Your particular painting does seem to have something else going on. We'll try and figure out what happened for you.

Yes, ArtRage 5 has a) better saving in general and b) the backup saves.

a_dt
04-02-2017, 07:13 AM
It might not be your case, but I often have this phenomenon (described in the original post) when AR is busy 😊 thinking of other things (strange way to word it; you know what I mean) - for instance asking me if I want to check for an update. Then I just close it and open again the painting and it opens correctly.

HannahRage
04-02-2017, 10:50 PM
It might not be your case, but I often have this phenomenon (described in the original post) when AR is busy 😊 thinking of other things (strange way to word it; you know what I mean) - for instance asking me if I want to check for an update. Then I just close it and open again the painting and it opens correctly.

Ah! That's because the update check interrupts the opening process if you open ArtRage from the file instead of opening ArtRage and then opening the file. So you only get as far as loading ArtRage, not the painting itself.

MissDarlingSweetiePie
12-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Not sure if there's a solution to this issue yet. My computer didn't crash and artrage closed normally. But as soon as I went to open the file, it was a blank canvas. It was supposed to be a gift for a friend of mine for Christmas.

markw
12-18-2020, 02:16 AM
Not sure if there's a solution to this issue yet. My computer didn't crash and artrage closed normally. But as soon as I went to open the file, it was a blank canvas. It was supposed to be a gift for a friend of mine for Christmas.
Hello MissDarlingSweetiePie and welcome to the ArtRage forums:)
Very sorry to hear you’ve had this happen to you:(:(
If it’s any consolation it’s quite a rare event, but your options now are very limited I’m afraid;
If the file on your system still shows a thumbnail image of your painting then there may be something that can be recovered.
The first thing AR dose when saving a file is to generate a single full size PNG image of the file’s content. This single layer image may be retrievable.
Launch ArtRage and go to File > Import Image File… > Navigate to where the damaged file is and select it.
If this doesn’t work then there is nothing more you can really do with this file.
Backups;
If you are using AR4 or higher, had you before this disaster turned On ArtRage’s ‘Store Backup Files’ function? If so then you can retrieve the most recent one of these which will be marked as; FileNameHere_GenA.ptgback.
You can read more about using this function here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/getting-started-artrage/artrage-manuals/artrage-4/preferences/
Do you keep system backups? Again if you do then you can go back to a previous date when the file was intact and recover that.

Not much more I can suggest:( Really hope you can salvage something.

mikahawkins1
12-21-2020, 06:10 AM
Autosave is a function we are seriously lacking.