PDA

View Full Version : Make stencil opaque

Edward Ingram
02-28-2017, 01:54 AM
I would like to make a circle template opaque. I have loaded some images from the web of stencils, but they all (since they are transparent in real life) let paint bleed through them.
I am attaching an example.

Someonesane
02-28-2017, 01:53 PM
A couple of things, before diving into how you'd need to approach this. Firstly, ArtRage allows you to scale the size of any stencil. As such, I'd like to first point you in the direction of the "Circle" stencil that has been included with every desktop version of ArtRage I've owned, thus far, and can located within the "Shapes" Group on the Stencils panel. The perfect circle can be manipulated in size and even stretched into ovals using the Transform tool. Example:

Should you still have a need to use a specific image as a stencil (that you can use to outline), you're going to have to be sure of a few things. The first thing you'll want to make sure of, is that the image you finally use is made of pure black and white (no grey). So, looking at your example, the image wouldn't work as an outline type of stencil, because when the color is sapped from it ArtRage would see it as being in greyscale, thus allowing color to bleed through it (not unlike a silk screen, if you're familiar with that process). In order for it completely block out the color, at what we understand to be the edges of the stencil, the body of the stencil must be a pure and solid White, while what we perceive as "holes", being a purely solid Black. This can be easier said, then done, however. While it's possible, within ArtRage, to manipulate the colored image so that we can remove the color from it, then change it's brightness and contrast to a point where the grey of the image is filtered out and the edges made sharper, the results are often less than desirable for edge tracing. You could blur it, after the fact, then apply a contrast shift, but the results would still vary greatly depending on the quality of the image you're using to start with. For example, I took the image you posted and ran through the steps I just mentioned until I was able to get an image I could use for tracing, but as I also mentioned, it didn't turn out as desirable as I think it should be.

Procedure:

Outcome:

Edward Ingram
02-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks again.
We are indebted to you for your willingness to help.
I can just use the built in circle and can use more than one copy.
I guess I looked in the wrong place for the circle stencil.

Someonesane
02-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Happy to help! :cool: