PDA

View Full Version : melting brushstroke

celmar
02-18-2017, 04:46 AM
Hello!!! is there a way to melt a brushstroke in another one? I mean: I paint for example a sky, and a distant mountain... The brushstroke effet is very "heavy" coarse... I would like to subdue the edge between the sky and the mountain, but without destroying, without flattening the brushstrokes... if i use the knife, the area is melted, but the brush effects vanish... It would be like using a brush without color, just to "push" one color in one another... This was done, traditionnally, with a dry brush, slightly used on the painted oil surface... well, hoipe my explanations are clear!!! thank you for helping!!!

Someonesane
02-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Sound like you might be looking for the Palette Knife tool. Just be sure that it's set to use 0% Loading so that it won't apply any paint and it should instead drag whatever "wet" paint is on the canvas.

HannahRage
02-19-2017, 02:54 AM
Set the palette knife pressure to 0% and it will mix colours without changing the texture (or experiment with the custom brush blenders in AR5, which do the same thing).

Or just set Loading on your brush to 0%, and scrub away - this will create a 'dry brush', literally! (I find increasing Thinners at the same time helps). If you're using ArtRage 4/5, increase Stiffness as well to get a nice stiff bristly brush.

Or re-add the paint texture on a new layer underneath, once you've finished blending (thick paint will show through layers above).