PDA

View Full Version : Help?

Dragonlover
02-14-2017, 07:00 AM
I found this image that I really loved on tumblr but I was wondering what types of stencils/brushes I would use to be able to get this type of look in art rage 5:

I don't know where else to ask for help so I hope asking here is okay.

Someonesane
02-14-2017, 05:09 PM
You could probably come close to that style using a few different tools, depending on how you work them. From the traditional tools of AR, the Oil brush with low thinners or the Pastel Tool set to its "Wax" type could do something similar. Most likely to get you there would be the new Custom Brush tool, which will allow you to create your brush from bitmap image tips and the options to allow paint blending. As a quick example though, I used the pastel tool to make the following image:

Dragonlover
02-14-2017, 09:10 PM
You could probably come close to that style using a few different tools, depending on how you work them. From the traditional tools of AR, the Oil brush with low thinners or the Pastel Tool set to its "Wax" type could do something similar. Most likely to get you there would be the new Custom Brush tool, which will allow you to create your brush from bitmap image tips and the options to allow paint blending. As a quick example though, I used the pastel tool to make the following image:

Woah that looks amazing, till now I've only been successful using the oil brush, blending tool and a bit of the pen. I haven't messed around with the pastel tool yet. For the drawing you made did you need to blend the pastel tool with the blend tools? Also if you don't mind me asking what settings/ preset should be used for blending, if you use that in your drawing? Thank you so much

Someonesane
02-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Woah that looks amazing, till now I've only been successful using the oil brush, blending tool and a bit of the pen. I haven't messed around with the pastel tool yet. For the drawing you made did you need to blend the pastel tool with the blend tools? Also if you don't mind me asking what settings/ preset should be used for blending, if you use that in your drawing? Thank you so much

I used a custom pencil to do an initial sketch (attach below), but I only used the Pastel Tool for the entire coloring aspect. So everything from the coloring blocking to the coloring blending was done with the use of the Paste tool, alone. When the Pastel Tool is set to "Wax", it has a very nice ability to blend colors around, allowing you to smooth out harsh edges, while also adding texture via the canvas grain roughness. Setting the tool to its "Chalk" setting, allows for nice texture coating, without dragging and mixing as much color (so, instead of blending, you get more of a top coat layer of color upon the high points of the grain texture).

My initial, quick sketch: