PDA

View Full Version : I can only draw straight lines?

fss99
12-27-2016, 11:54 AM
I just got ArtRage and I can't figure out how to draw curved lines. Every time I try to draw something it will only let me draw a straight line. Sometimes (I'm not sure how) it will let me draw a curved line, but then it will switch back to only straight lines. Does anyone know why this is happening/how to fix it so I can draw curved lines??

markw
12-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Hello fss99 and welcome to the ArtRage forums:)
My first thought is; have you accidentally left the ‘Snap To Grid’ function On?
It’s possible to have it active whilst the actual grid is invisible. Something that's caught out many in the past!

fss99
12-27-2016, 03:02 PM
I'm not sure if thats the issue, but in my menu it doesn't have that option. Is there another way to see it? Also, when I was using the demo version, I had that option in the menu and I didn't have any problems. Just after I downloaded the lite version, is when I started to have trouble.

HannahRage
12-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Hmmm. Is it 'projecting' a straight line and then filling it in after you click? Or are the lines just not following your stylus?

Any chance 'ctrl' is being pressed down?

Can you draw normally if you switch to the mouse instead?

HannahRage
12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
If you're on Mac OSX, this seems to be an issue with the latest driver - try installing an earlier one - anything between 6.3.11 and 6.3.18 should be fine.

Here's a direct link to 6.3.15-2 to try:
http://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsupport/drivers/mac/professional/WacomTablet_6.3.15-2.dmg

Pat McDonald
12-28-2016, 01:24 AM
Have you selected Smoothing?

That attempts to 'straighten' lines nes.

fss99
12-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Hmmm. Is it 'projecting' a straight line and then filling it in after you click? Or are the lines just not following your stylus?

Any chance 'ctrl' is being pressed down?

Can you draw normally if you switch to the mouse instead?

It is projecting the line, but it doesn't happen when I use the mouse. Also, when I do press control, it doesn't do that. But the lines do follow the stylus.

HannahRage
12-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Ok, it sounds like it's definitely the latest tablet driver - it has an issue where once you press a 'sticky' key (e.g. CMD, in this case) it stays active permanently in the program. Uninstall it, clear your preferences, and install an older version (e.g. the one I linked above).

markw
12-29-2016, 01:43 AM
Hello Hannah.
Just for clarity, is this issue peculiar to AR Lite on Macs using a Wacom tablet?
I ask out of curiosity as I’ve been using the latest driver, 6.3.15-3, since it was released in January and have never experienced this with my Intuos4.

HannahRage
12-29-2016, 01:54 AM
Hello Hannah.
Just for clarity, is this issue peculiar to AR Lite on Macs using a Wacom tablet?
I ask out of curiosity as I’ve been using the latest driver, 6.3.15-3, since it was released in January and have never experienced this with my Intuos4.

The latest driver is actually 6.3.19-10 - you shouldn't see any issues with 6.3.15 and it's the one I recommend above. It's a widespread problem across all Mac OSX programs because the .19 and .18 drivers are trying to incorporate pen/touch related changes for OS 10.12 (Sierra), and therefore only half work. The problem generally pops up when you use the pen at the same time as certain key commands, so you might not see it all the time.

Support for OS 10.9 and earlier was also dropped in recent drivers, as part of these updates.

markw
12-29-2016, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the clarification there Hannah.
It was curious, as all I am still offered from the Wacom Driver page that I have bookmarked and used forever, is my current driver version: http://www.wacom.eu/index4.asp?pid=29&lang=en
However after some nosing around on the net, it seems Wacom have 2 Driver pages!:confused: the other being this one: http://www.wacom.com/en-at/support/product-support/drivers
Which dose list versions higher than 6.3.15-3.

Popcorn_boss7275
12-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Hello! After waiting four days for Wacom to fix their website and finally being able to actually download ArtRage, it is more than an inconvenience to me that I can draw fine on the small mouse pad of my Mac, but only straight lines on the tablet. Using the mouse defeats the purpose of tablet and that is very frustrating to me. I have read the forums but I am not sure how to get the older version working. Is there anyway someone can give me some advice, or will I have be patient and wait for the tablet and/or drivers to fix?:( I do not understand how to easily download and run the new drivers.

markw
12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Hello Popcorn_boss7275 and welcome to the ArtRage forums:)
When you first installed the Wacom driver, a Wacom folder was created in your Applications folder. It contains a utility for uninstalling your current driver.
Instructions on how to use the utility can be found on Wacom’s site here:
http://www.wacom.com/en-at/support/faqs/drivers%20software/how%20do%20i%20uninstall%20a%20driver%20on%20mac%2 0os%20x

if you want to download an earlier driver version, such as the one I’m using or the one Hannah linked to in her post here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?52123-I-can-only-draw-straight-lines&p=513396#post513396 I’m not sure how you can from their new Driver page:confused:
But Wacom’s old Driver page is still active, here: http://www.wacom.eu/index4.asp?pid=29&lang=en
In the search box, enter your Mac OS version and Wacom product. This will then give you a page where past drivers for that product can be downloaded.

mc_86
12-31-2016, 07:16 AM
Hey guys

I joined the forum to ask the same question.

I had several issues when trying to download the driver software, and like the person above, it will not allow me to draw curved lines...and yes I also have a mac.

Hopefully this wee issue is updated soon as it's really annoying.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

fss99
01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Ok, it sounds like it's definitely the latest tablet driver - it has an issue where once you press a 'sticky' key (e.g. CMD, in this case) it stays active permanently in the program. Uninstall it, clear your preferences, and install an older version (e.g. the one I linked above).

Yep, this was the issue! It's working fine now, thanks!