PDA

View Full Version : Let There Be Light - Old Lantern

MickeyMaguire
12-21-2016, 09:41 PM
I spotted a cool lantern on a wall at the Columbus Zoo (Columbus, Ohio). I took a picture of it years ago. Using that as a reference, I painted this. I found a cool way to make textures... "Easy Dirt" in ArtRage. I love experimenting with things to figure out how I have to work to make something photo-realistic or more "painterly" (as my wife calls it).

If you have not tried using "Easy Dirt", give it a shot. I did the stucco wall and the bricks with it. To make the bricks look 3-D, I varied the color and rounded off corners and edges. The bezel was airbrushed, then I used the pallet knife to blend. I also used the pallet knife on parts of the metal hanger and in other areas, the oil brush with little daubs of paint setting.

Rondo
12-22-2016, 03:51 AM
Like this a lot!!;)

gxhpainter
12-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Most excellent work... yes I mostly start my work with some of the great sticker sprays especially in the art brush section... and easy dirt is one of my favorites as well.:cool::cool::cool::)

D Akey
12-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Nice stuff!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

damasocl
12-23-2016, 02:47 AM
Wonderful!!!

(And thanks for the tip!)

(Y gracias por el consejo!)

MickeyMaguire
12-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I've really been hooked on ArtRage. Although I did a piece a few days ago where I used Sketchbook Pro, Corel Painter, and ArtRage all three on the composition to complete the work. Every application has its strengths and weaknesses. I still think that nothing does texture like ArtRage.

sabena
12-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Fantastic painting very good style:rolleyes:

MickeyMaguire
12-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Fantastic painting very good style:rolleyes:

Why, thank you.

MickeyMaguire
12-23-2016, 11:05 PM
Wonderful!!!

(And thanks for the tip!)

(Y gracias por el consejo!)

I was thrilled to discover the "Easy Dirt" hiding among other tools. I can think of so many uses for it.