PDA

View Full Version : Paper texture not showing through

Edward Ingram
12-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I recently wanted to use a rough burlap as the paper texture, so I imported a picture of it and applied as I added it to my canvas group. However as soon as I paint (I'm using oil, normal round) the canvas texture doesn't show through. Do I need to further process the burlap picture before i import it? I'm attaching both the start of my painting ane the burlap picture.
Note: It seems like it would be helpful to the administrators and the users if a .ptg file could be uploaded. That way the person reviewing the file could check all the settings, etc.

HannahRage
12-19-2016, 05:17 PM
This could be one of two things.

1) How did you import that? It looks like it's just a background image - this is what the Grain version should look like (although I know you might have added it as a pattern as well).

2) It's just not 'rough' enough for a visible effect with thick paint. Test it with the pencil or watercolour to see if that shows texture. If there is texture, it's just very faint, then you want to:

- increase Roughness in canvas settings
- edit the original image to boost the contrast to get more dramatic black/white effects (which is what creates the grain).

Note: It seems like it would be helpful to the administrators and the users if a .ptg file could be uploaded. That way the person reviewing the file could check all the settings, etc.

It would be nice :D but PTGs tend to be pretty large and our bandwidth would curl up and cry. If we really need to take a look, you can always contact us directly by email.

nekomata
12-20-2016, 08:57 PM

maybe try sendspace.com if you need a free temporary hosting; deviantart also uploads zipped files just fine iirc.