PDA

View Full Version : printing on real canvas

impasto
11-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I want to print an AR painting on real canvas, in a commercial printing shop. A couple of questions:
1. I think there is no need to keep AR generated textured canvas as there will be real texture. How do I remove the texture? I cant find a canvas preset which is just flat, and I dont want to remove canvas light as I need to preserve the oil brush texture.
2. It is going to be similar to gallery wrap, but not exactly: I already extended the cavas by 1.5" on each edge. I wanted to make the borders grey, but adding a grey layer affects the upper layers. I drew the rectangular section in grey, but it's tedious to do it precisely. Is there a quicker way or I should do it in gimp?
thanks

HannahRage
11-01-2016, 02:44 PM
1. Go to canvas settings and set Roughness to 0%

2. Just use the Fill tool! (make sure 'single layer only' isn't ticked). If you don't have a perfect border edge where your main picture begins, use Ctrl + shift to draw a straight line in grey to limit the spread of the paint from the Fill tool.

impasto
11-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Great!
I presume changing roughness of the canvas is reversible without any loss of quality?

Also, which file format do you recommend?
I tried png and tif, and both images look very similar to me (great quality that is), and the MB size is very similar.

HannahRage
11-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Yes, you can adjust the canvas at any point. Any new strokes will reflect the flat canvas, so you don't want to switch back and forth while you're working unless you want that effect.

PNG is usually the best file type for general printing, but if you aren't going to be editing the exported file further then a high quality JPEG will be fine and might let you scrape in under a certain number of MBs (go to Edit > ArtRage Preferences > Advanced Preferences to adjust JPEG quality).