PDA

View Full Version : The Old Fish & Chip Shop

jacktar51
11-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Here's an old fish & chip shop, around the late forties early Fifties period.. I have tried to make this look as authentic as possible date wise with the early fryer and the pewter salt and pepper pots and glass vinegar shaker, did this as a test practice on an idea from Mr D Akey, Hope you like the picture..... Jack.

D Akey
11-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I can very easily "be in the painted scene" though I never had that experience myself. Your details bring it to life. I've heard about the newspaper to wrap the goodies in and all. Such a British Aisles experience I would imagine. Slice of life for sure. Love the cat hoping that a morsel of fish might find its way to within their reach. Out here we usually get birds, but you don't see a lot of outdoor seating much anymore, so not so many seagulls and pigeons.

Thanks for the look in and I wouldn't have minded a bit of fish before I turned vegetarian recently. But I well remember I loved it, even as badly as Americans made it. I recall having some in Canada though and the batter was brilliant. First time I ever heard about using vinegar as a flavoring addition. That tang was perfection.

Anyway, you look to be open for business. May you get lots of customers. Can hear the sounds and smell the smells in this one. Nice job. Can definitely walk around in it and have the experience.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

jacktar51
11-02-2016, 11:17 PM
I can very easily "be in the painted scene" though I never had that experience myself. Your details bring it to life. I've heard about the newspaper to wrap the goodies in and all. Such a British Aisles experience I would imagine. Slice of life for sure. Love the cat hoping that a morsel of fish might find its way to within their reach. Out here we usually get birds, but you don't see a lot of outdoor seating much anymore, so not so many seagulls and pigeons.

Thanks for the look in and I wouldn't have minded a bit of fish before I turned vegetarian recently. But I well remember I loved it, even as badly as Americans made it. I recall having some in Canada though and the batter was brilliant. First time I ever heard about using vinegar as a flavoring addition. That tang was perfection.

Anyway, you look to be open for business. May you get lots of customers. Can hear the sounds and smell the smells in this one. Nice job. Can definitely walk around in it and have the experience.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Hello D,
I think Vegetarians are allowed to eat fish as it is not considered to be red meat, might be wrong there but I have it in the back of my brain. There is one fantastic Fish and Chip shop I could recommend in England, Its RAMSAYS and its down on the south coast in Bournemouth, just in front of the Pier. and there is another along the coast a little in POOLE, also in DORSET, a very beautiful place, and Englands largest natural Waterway Inlet harbour or whatever you call it, you should Google POOLE, DORSET , ENGLAND and have a look at the webcam pictures, its worth a look, you will not be disappointed.
Regarding the Newspaper wrapping of the Fish and Chips, they used a greaseproof paper first, then wrapped with newspaper, the idea was to keep the chips warm until you got home ( Walking in those days ) no jumping in your car back then. Thank you very much for your comments D, Always look forward to hearing from you..... Jack.