PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Tanager and Goldfinch images

MickeyMaguire
10-16-2016, 11:46 AM
I did these with ArtRage 4.5.1 and my Wacom Intuos.

Enug
10-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Beautiful birds - very photo realistic.

AndreaMG
10-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Terrific little fellas! I especially like the latter because of the background with the stylized clouds and the more dynamic composition, but they are both super cool. If you haven't yet you can take a look at Ostogar's birds thread ... https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?46515-A-bird-(-10)-New-September-16

RedSaucers
10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Amazing, the texture of the feathers is incredible!

DarkOwnt
10-18-2016, 02:50 AM
MM:

Your work is excellent. Bird lovers would love a tutorial on birds and feathers in ArtRage... :)

MickeyMaguire
10-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Here is a close-up of the Scarlet Tanager's head. It shows the brush strokes in excellent detail. The feather strokes are a mix of color so they mimic the natural variation within bird feathers. Solid colors look very two-dimensional. The "catch light" in bird eyes often have two highlights due to light reflecting off leaves. Good reference photos are hard to get. Bird photography takes patience and a minimum of 500mm lens. Clarity is extremely important. I shoot professionally, so, I have the gear.

Bobbi
10-19-2016, 01:04 PM
I am envious that you got the feet done so well. Something I cannot seem to get right.

MickeyMaguire
10-19-2016, 08:35 PM
I am envious that you got the feet done so well. Something I cannot seem to get right.

I used the "oil brush" with a dry brush with "tiny daubs" preset from the list. I use very slight variations in color and apply perpendicular strokes on the talons. It gives them a natural segmented look. I also love the way this brush setting goes from heavy to light with each brush-stroke. That helps make round shapes look three-dimensional. I use the same brush setting, but smaller size, for the claws. Another way to make the claws and beak look smooth is to use a wet brush and blend the "paint" over dry-brush strokes.

D Akey
10-19-2016, 10:18 PM
Boy, that close up really gives a good look at just how perfect the detailing is. Really excellent work.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

MickeyMaguire
10-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Boy, that close up really gives a good look at just how perfect the detailing is. Really excellent work.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Thank you. I have always had a passion for songbirds. I was a wilderness guide for many years and have been blessed with countless hours, day after day, in the mountains in all sorts of weather. These feathered minstrels entertained me with the coming of seasons, after a spring rain, in the balmy summer dawn, and more. I taught fly fishing in some of the finest wild trout water in America and watched eagle and osprey gently catch their morning breakfast in mid river. It always took my breath away.