eighty+
10-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Hi ava is that a ham sandwich toasting on the grill i'm rather pickish

will you give me a call when its ready regards mr ploos ;) :d:d:d:d

ciao ivaya con dios hasta la vista slainte if pozdrawski driffs

by don't let him see the sandwich! Ok thanks

Ava Jarvis
10-09-2016, 03:14 PM
Well, you're right, I guess it is pretty ugly and I should be ashamed to have posted it.

Edit - Actually, now that I think about it, I think this is a result of me using pen and ink as a shortcut representation of pieces in the game. The large bit you think is a grill is actually a field piece with little rows hoed into it, and the two pieces on top are flat wooden pieces shaped like idealistic bales of wheat. So misinterpretation by people who aren't familiar with the Agricola family of board games is very possible, especially without color or better shading.

This is a valuable lesson for me to learn. I thank you and apologize that I took it so negatively the first time.

eighty+
10-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Ava I was only pulling you Leg :) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D OK CIAO

Ava Jarvis
10-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Ah ok. ^_^ Thanks for the clarification!

Ava Jarvis
10-12-2016, 08:39 PM
From October 8th, 2016

Hi!

I've been messing around with ArtRage but this is the first bit of small finished design work I've done in it. It's for a fan expansion (that I'm currently playtesting) to a board game called Agricola: Family Edition. This is a sample goal card, to see how the symmetry tools work:

It's pretty much done using the ink pen. You can see in the corners the cutting guides, and the top of the frame is a bit too high and needs to be corrected down (somehow) if we want to catch all of the burnished art-deco style rolling at the top.

Currently working on portraits. My artist friend has suggested that I try to work from either life or find photo references for people who aren't famous, because almost all famous-people pictures are photoshopped, and sometimes in ways that completely throw me off. They recommend older models in particular, because older faces are more interesting to draw than younger ones, typically.

Ava Jarvis
10-12-2016, 08:43 PM
From October 11th

Updated: a quick, dirty, awful sketch of Godfrey Gao as an excuse to try copic markers in ArtRage way too late at night. Never done anything with markers before, is a bit frustrating but I am too new to the media and thus need to practice and be patient.

Very rushed because it was late and I needed an art fix and it needed to be one hour.

1. Need to work on facial structure.
2. Need to work on edges. If it wasn’t so late…
3. Need to work on copic marker technique.
4. Need to work on hair.
5. Need to work on lighting of the face and hair.
6. Oh gods I skipped the ear.

Copic markers what even. How do they workkkk.

Ava Jarvis
10-13-2016, 11:15 AM
October 12th

Redid Godfrey Gao.

Before and after.

D Akey
10-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Markers in the real world are generally not meant to be much more than indicators of what an ad or commercial would look like when done in the actual medium -- film, photo or illustration. It's generally a way to make sure everyone is on the same page as it were. Some are really great and others quick and dirty. But yours could generally fit into that category of what some people aim for. So well done.

Usually the line drawing carries it and the color is to flesh it out to get a better idea of what the final will be like. It's a fast medium for that reason where changing direction doesn't cost that much as they sort out what they want to do. It's a thinking tool. Not so much more, unless the artist wants to turn it into more, of course, and some definitely do.

Good job!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Ava Jarvis
10-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks, D Akey! ^_^ so much more to learn.

Ava Jarvis
11-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Man, these past few weeks, am I right?

I have more art.

It's... kind of gouache? This is the first time I've done anything where line art was not a part of the final product.

And then also

This was rather a surprising experience with watercolors for the very first time ever. I hadn't even realized that in watercolors pigment gets pushed around and actively moved. This was interesting to work with, and I think I need to figure out what watercolor techniques exist. Natural media simulation is just so exciting, especially because families of presettings combined with different brush engines results in needing to learn brand new media, essentially.

I mean, I remember with GIMP and Photoshop (a very long time ago), you could kinda just use different brush images and nothing really essential changed, even if the marks looked different.

ArtRage is a whole new ballgame of course.

I should go read the ArtRage tutorial about watercolors. :)

Ava Jarvis
11-28-2016, 04:54 AM
I've been trying to keep my spirits up with art. Things were kinda rough for a couple of weeks but during that time I played with pastels in ArtRage and drew a bunny under bluebells:

This was inspired by Ursula Vernon's Patron Saint Bluebell (http://www.redwombatstudio.com/2016/11/12/patron-saint-bluebell/) post.

I drew some other stuff that's currently under wraps as works in progress:

Sketchbook stuff, playing with layers and watercolors/watercolor inking effects:

Caesar
11-30-2016, 09:33 PM
I particularly like this last composition. It looks fresh and quite artistic!

Ava Jarvis
12-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Thanks, Caesar!