PDA

View Full Version : Old Harbour. complete re-work

jacktar51
10-07-2016, 06:18 AM
I decided to re-work an old painting of mine , if you saw the old one you will see the difference, hope you like the painting, ... Jack.

eighty+
10-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Great one jack. You can see. You. We're a salor. It shows in the rigging. Land ahore get yuh

Best bib and tucker on mate's

Enug
10-07-2016, 12:45 PM
I am continuously amazed at how much detail you manage to get into your paintings. You have so much patience. The way you paint water and reflections is superb - have you written a tutorial on how to do this?

kenmo
10-08-2016, 04:16 AM
Very nice...

jacktar51
10-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Great one jack. You can see. You. We're a salor. It shows in the rigging. Land ahore get yuh

Best bib and tucker on mate's

Hello eighty+
Thank you for looking at my painting, I was fortunate enough to be down in Brixham when they built the " MAYFLOWER " replica ,I used to run tourists out for trips around the ship when it was moored in the outer harbour at Brixham, nice to have seen it for real.....Thank you for your reply..... Jack.

jacktar51
10-09-2016, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=Enug;511136]I am continuously amazed at how much detail you manage to get into your paintings. You have so much patience. The way you paint water and reflections is superb - have you written a tutorial on how to do this?[/QUOTE

Hello Enug,
Thanks for replying. No I don't really do tutorials, I do like putting lots of detail into my pictures though, I recon it adds interest in a painting and gives the viewer more to look at, thanks again for your reply..... Jack.

jacktar51
10-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Very nice...

Hello Kenmo,
Good to see your still on here, haven't seen you for some time, thanks for looking in..... Jack.

MickeyMaguire
10-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Bravo! Reminds me of home.

damasocl
10-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Jack: Great work!!!:):):):)

jacktar51
10-11-2016, 12:52 AM
Bravo! Reminds me of home.

Thanks for your reply Mickey,
I am pleased the picture reminds you of home, would that be Ireland Mickey??, Thanks for looking at my work..... Jack.

jacktar51
10-11-2016, 12:55 AM
Jack: Great work!!!:):):):)

damasocl, Hello,
Thank you , It is nice to see that you like my paintings...... Jack.

Ava Jarvis
10-11-2016, 09:22 AM
The amount of detail here definitely adds interest, and I agree about the reflections—they are superb. The muted color palette is interested—the subjects (boats, dock, etc) are muted to a sort of olive-yellow, but the sky and water are a contrasting blue. This effect is nice, especially when it comes to the water reflecting the objects (and, of course, the sky).

As for tutorials for this type of thing, I think the best way to learn is (a) observe reflections in real life or from photographs, and (b) then observe the strokes and effects used by painters portraying reflections, and (c) practice and experiment. All three steps take a lot of time and attention to detail, but in the end that process is better than one of those short-cut tutorials on sees around and about on Tumblr, DeviantArt, and even YouTube.

Art and patience go together quite well.

And again, bravo for this reworked piece. :)

Ava Jarvis
10-12-2016, 06:05 AM
Actually, I realize now how snide my comment about tutorials and observation was, and how unnecessary, because it is rather obvious and did not need to be stated.

My apologies.

On topic, is there a link to the old picture anywhere?

jacktar51
10-14-2016, 09:54 PM
The amount of detail here definitely adds interest, and I agree about the reflections—they are superb. The muted color palette is interested—the subjects (boats, dock, etc) are muted to a sort of olive-yellow, but the sky and water are a contrasting blue. This effect is nice, especially when it comes to the water reflecting the objects (and, of course, the sky).

As for tutorials for this type of thing, I think the best way to learn is (a) observe reflections in real life or from photographs, and (b) then observe the strokes and effects used by painters portraying reflections, and (c) practice and experiment. All three steps take a lot of time and attention to detail, but in the end that process is better than one of those short-cut tutorials on sees around and about on Tumblr, DeviantArt, and even YouTube.

Art and patience go together quite well.

And again, bravo for this reworked piece. :)

Hello Ava,
Thanks for your reply Ava, everything you say here is true, so no need to worry.
I thought I posted the old version, but I couldn't see it with a quick look through, thanks for commenting on my work though.....Jack.

D Akey
10-15-2016, 12:44 AM
Well, does look all serene though. Foggy gray morning in the harbor Only sound is the dipping of oars. Nice one. No idea about the rework, since I can't recall the other one either. But this one looks really nice.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

jacktar51
10-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Well, does look all serene though. Foggy gray morning in the harbor Only sound is the dipping of oars. Nice one. No idea about the rework, since I can't recall the other one either. But this one looks really nice.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Hello D,
Thank you for the comment, very nice to see you on my thread, always good to have your input. I seem to have mislaid the original, or may have scrapped it when I replaced it, hope you are keeping well, thanks for looking...... Jack.

MickeyMaguire
10-16-2016, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your reply Mickey, I am pleased the picture reminds you of home, would that be Ireland Mickey??, Thanks for looking at my work..... Jack.

North Atlantic, but, I was born and raised in the USA. My family lived in a castle in Ireland for about 450 years, though. They came to the USA when England finally took what remained of Ulster-- Northern Ireland. My clan landed in New York shortly afterward. My mother's family has been here since the first English settlement.