PDA

View Full Version : Overlaying Stencils

friedkoala
08-26-2016, 01:36 AM
Hi Folks, I'm new to ArtRage so please be nice :-P

I was wondering if it was possible to overlay stencils on reference images? Specifically rulers as i'm trying to get the correct angle of a straight edge but the ruler seems to sit behind the reference image which sadly doesn't help!

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Rondo
08-26-2016, 06:41 AM
why don't you try to put the image as a tracing image?you still can have you ref image but you can use the rulers on your tracing image with tracing? make sense somewhere?

markw
08-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Hello friedkoala and welcome to the ArtRage forums:)
As reference images will always stay on top of the work area and tools, AR’s rulers, as you found, won’t work.
But if you want to just visually check angles in a reference image you can place another Ref Image or Scrap on top of the first one and rotate this second image until one of it's edges is at the desired angle you want to check. You can then drag the rotated image back over your painting to check the angle there.

Enug
08-26-2016, 03:51 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, couldn't you import your ref as a layer on top of your working layer - place the ruler over the ref/layer where you want to measure the angle - then toggle off the view to that layer and open the view to the working layer. The ruler will be overlayed on the working layer showing the chosen angle.

Images might show it better.