View Full Version : Interactive map of artists and styles

Rualark
07-16-2016, 11:50 PM
300 most famous artists on an interactive map:
artquiz.sourceforge.net/amap

- Color shows country (see legend)
- Grey bar shows life time
- Most famous artists are marked with bold font
- Artists are grouped into styles. Similar styles have the same color (starting with Rococo)

The whole map is clickable.

If you find some errors, please write me, I will correct them.

D Akey
07-17-2016, 05:53 AM
300 most famous artists on an interactive map:
artquiz.sourceforge.net/amap

- Color shows country (see legend)
- Grey bar shows life time
- Most famous artists are marked with bold font
- Artists are grouped into styles. Similar styles have the same color (starting with Rococo)

The whole map is clickable.

If you find some errors, please write me, I will correct them.

Nice resource. I think it would be very useful to get a handle on who existed when doing what. And being able to look that up immediately has value to me, and no doubt to others.

I'm not all that familiar with de Kooning, but so far as I know he was an Abstract Expressionist. I'm surprised you have him listed there as a Surrealist also. Did he claim that genre as his at one point? I know a lot of non-subjective abstract looking work and artists doing those paintings got lumped into the Surrealist category. And basing my distinction on what the work looked like, I don't particularly agree with those artists fitting the mode of realism in any way, but they got into the book of Surrealism I have. And DeKooning was no more distant from the "realism" in "surrealism", but I'm certainly not an art historian and that movement could have had other criteria than meets the eye.

But that has little to do with your very useful artist timeline resource. I particularly like the timeline page and then that you have links to samples of each artist's work. Nice.

Out of curiosity so I can get around better, is there any reason you picked the colors you did or were they just so that one could separate at a glance the different artists more easily?

Well done!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
07-19-2016, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the resource, very interesting, put it in my favorites so I can go back

Caesar
07-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Quite interesting.
Not really a fully correct and exhaustive map (too many holes as for major movements and artists, maybe based on limited knowledge, geographical, ideological or market appeal ground), but at least very useful to reach for most of the greatest ever (and a lot of fashionable ones too) and to set up our own maps in case (either a complete one or a map of our preferred artists).
Thank You!