PDA

View Full Version : Lady Knitting

pat1940
07-15-2016, 06:56 AM
Done in oil

D Akey
07-16-2016, 07:07 AM
Overall very nice. Might want to study anatomy relative to art so that you have some sense you're working toward as opposed to mirroring another's picture. A lot of this vintage painting is generally soft. But the painters understood anatomy so they could imply structure in a seemingly general way and get away with it.

What you can then do is step up your lighting with a bit more purpose. I mean she's an old lady who by nature is soft and sweet and old -- where you could not leave her house without a bunch of cookies tied in a hankie. That mood is valuable to hold. And soft, lesser contrast might be appropriate. However, when narrowing one's value range, subtleties tend to stand out as big jumps, as in the hand.

Right now it's a little plainer than it might be. Not extending the values and saturation combined with small strokes makes it feel a little tentative, like you're not quite sure about what you're painting. . . like being a little trepidatious about screwing it up. When doing figures it's a lot different than a building where you have a lot of wiggle room.

You would probably want to extend your value range a wee bit for starters.

But as to a good painting, this is. Still has some minor structure issues. But that all will come with understanding anatomy and form and lighting a wee bit more.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Marilyn Anne
07-16-2016, 10:58 AM
The lady has solidity which means she looks real and like she is sitting there.

danny72
07-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Very ,very nice!!! I wondering how you guys can make some many paintings?? For me it takes weeks before I can share a new one.. :-)

worldInShades
07-16-2016, 08:43 PM
What a fun piece! The composition really works well. And I do love the little painting in the corner. I only wish there was bit more detail and structure on the lady's face... portraits are super hard though.

pat1940
07-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Thanks DAkey will keep that in mind
Marilyn Anne, Danny and Worldinshades thankyou so much for your kind comments

eighty+
07-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Pat again good colour work But as The Capt'n said overall ok but the Hand hits the Eye

wants a bit more work on it plus an odd Knitting needle to move the eye away :D

CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE

pat1940
07-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Thank you eighty, and yes agree and will keep that in mind

Caesar
07-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Fine intimate painting. Actually the painting in the painting is as much lovely as the main one!

pat1940
07-19-2016, 02:18 AM
Thanks Caesar, did the one on the wall quite some time ago, just imported to layer and painted a frame around it