PDA

View Full Version : Possible to 'fill with eraser/transparency'?

calicocat
07-09-2016, 11:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out whether it's possible to use the fill tool to remove a solid colour (e.g white) background from an image file, so that the background is transparent for PNG layer export. Not knowing how to do this, I have to sit and manually erase the whole background of some fairly large image files which isn't a good long term solution for me. All I want to be able to do is click once and clear all the colour data.

Any thoughts?

sueellen
07-10-2016, 01:48 AM
I use a filter, Mike and Yael's "KillWhite" that turns any white in an image to transparent. Mikeal Simburger and Yael Maritz offer this for free on their website mikes3d.com which also has links to tutorials. It is available only in 32-bit, but it is easy for me to open my 64bit ArtRage in the 32bit ArtRage version. Mike and Yael gratefully accept donations. (I am not affiliated; just a fan and regular user).
Happy Raging to you,
Sue Ellen

Enug
07-10-2016, 01:51 AM
Edit: SueEllen beat me to the post! :D

I don't believe it is possible to use the eraser in the way you are describing. However, there is a free filtre http://mikes3d.com/extra/scripting-plugins/killwhite/
which will work with the 32bit version of ArtRage. It also works with Corel and Photoshop.

The 32bit version of AR can be found in Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage4 along with the 64bit - I'm presuming you are using AR4 desktop version. Extract the KilWhite.8bf file and install in AR Filter folder - Edit/ArtRage Preferences/Filters. The filtre file can also be placed directly into the Filter folder via Tools/User Content Hope this helps.

I removed white fill from square in centre.

Enug
07-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Another method comes to mind using Selection Tool/Freehand . Select the area to be deleted then using the delete key on your keyboard, delete the selected area.

HannahRage
07-11-2016, 05:48 AM
Another method comes to mind using Selection Tool/Freehand . Select the area to be deleted then using the delete key on your keyboard, delete the selected area.

Or the Magic Wand option right next to it ;D (selects by areas of colour). The Kill White filter is probably the best overall, but if you just want to remove *some* of the white areas, I'd go for the Magic Wand tool.