PDA

View Full Version : Irish Girl

pat1940
06-22-2016, 11:59 AM
I believe the ref I used was a famous Irish artist Estella Frances Sol, done in oil

gxhpainter2
06-22-2016, 02:00 PM
wow Pat what a beautiful interpretation, love the setting, colors and your brushwork.... one of your best!..

Caesar
06-22-2016, 08:28 PM
A shy little girl with some romantic thought. Well painted!

HwyStar
06-23-2016, 01:52 PM
I Love this painting Pat! The shading around her eyes, for my taste is a little to dark, dreary and sad based upon the atmosphere of the landscape. Great work! I agree with gxhpainter, one of your best!

AndreaMG
06-24-2016, 05:57 AM
Such a delicate painting. Way to go! :o

kenmo
06-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Exceptional. One of your very best!!!!!

D Akey
06-25-2016, 03:11 AM
Nice one Pat.

For what it's worth, you might take your color mixing a little farther and not use so much black. If you're straight sampling from the source painting, you almost always have to take care that you don't happen to pick a pixel with a drab color for an area that's a little more vibrant. Doing that can throw off your color and value relations. As it stands right now, the colors are going too sooty mostly in the face.

As it stands right now the palette is a little dingy and your values are a bit off. Granted, Ireland sees its share of overcast skies and cool colors, and I suspect this is one of those paintings where it's a rather ambient light. But mixing colors for this lighting is a little trickier because it's universally cool and subtle (ie. not having a clear shadow and light to help turn the form). Bougerreau used lighting like that quite a bit with all his peasant girls and so on. And looking at his use of colors might be worth a conversation with him (as it were) via his paintings telling you how he went about it.

As to getting placement and getting the figure drawn well, that part is working just fine. But I would look closer at the colors as you put them down, if that's a factor that's of interest to a colorist like yourself. It appears to always be very important to you based on the paintings you choose to copy. So my comment is along the lines of your color usage. Just because the palette is handed to you, you still want to be thinking about what each color is doing because they tend not to completely translate in going from one to the other. Having a handle on color and values where you can improve and personalize your copies will ultimately free you up as an artist, while at the very least make your copies more on target.

Go Pat!

pat1940
06-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Thanks so much Gary, Caesar, HWStar, Andrea, and Ken, appreciate all your kind comments
DAkey, as always really appreciate your advice and totally agree, this was just muddy looking to me, and should have had confidence in myself to go with my gut feelings, so your advice has given me a boost, when not happy with it yourself, Go For It lol

Enug
06-25-2016, 06:30 PM
A really lovely painting Pat. I did a search and found that the girl is not Irish at all but Breton. The artist was Irish however - Maria Dorothy Webb. http://tinyurl.com/jdgcjw4

pat1940
06-26-2016, 05:16 AM
Wow, thanks for the correction June, I asked Cortana, I quess she is not as smart as she thinks ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D