PDA

View Full Version : AR Script

BenjaminLM
06-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Hello ArtRagers!

Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this.
I've just finished my first series on ArtRage as finished digital paintings.
I turned the script "on" before each artwork, thinking that would be a motion picture recording of the artworks, start to finish.
However, now I've sent the script to my YouTube girl to turn into a video, the script goes to her as coding.

Is it possible to have a recording of the artwork process, start to finish, as a motion picture?
I really want that.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Benjamin L.M.

markw
06-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Hello Benjamin,
Yes, AR Scripts need to be played by ArtRage itself, as all they are, are instructions telling ArtRage what paint to put where on a canvas.
To get a "movie" of it, to post online, you will need some form of screen capture/recording software running as AR plays back the script.
Start the recording software first then start the AR script.
When done the screen recording can be saved in a format that can be edited as a regular movie file.
Mac’s have a basic built in screen record function, accessed via QuickTime X, I don’t know if Windows has anything similar.
I use Camtasia 2 for screen recording, though it is at the more expensive end of the market.
But a search of the internet and App stores will throw up lots of software options for you to consider I’m sure.

BenjaminLM
06-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Thanks for much for you knowledge, Mark?? I assume.
You've put me on the right track.
Are you able to recommend a program that suits both Mac iPad & Mac laptop?
I need it to be free and simple.
I'm only going to using the program to "record" the artworks as I make them on the iPad,
but my YouTuber friend is the one that will do the "work" on them to turn them into short YouTube vids.
So I want to it be easy for her to use.

Thank again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Benjamin L.M.

Hello Benjamin,
Yes, AR Scripts need to be played by ArtRage itself, as all they are, are instructions telling ArtRage what paint to put where on a canvas.
To get a "movie" of it, to post online, you will need some form of screen capture/recording software running as AR plays back the script.
Start the recording software first then start the AR script.
When done the screen recording can be saved in a format that can be edited as a regular movie file.
Mac’s have a basic built in screen record function, accessed via QuickTime X, I don’t know if Windows has anything similar.
I use Camtasia 2 for screen recording, though it is at the more expensive end of the market.
But a search of the internet and App stores will throw up lots of software options for you to consider I’m sure.

Enug
06-11-2016, 04:44 PM
I use http://screencast-o-matic.com/home there is a free version, it's easy to use, works on Windows or Mac and can be posted direct to Youtube. I think the free version restricts to 15mins of recording time.

markw
06-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Hello again,
I don’t have an iPad so can’t advise as to what screen capture software might be available for it, sorry.

However if you have the desktop version of ArtRage4 on your laptop then my opening gambit would be to first try with the Mac’s built-in screen capture first.
You could export the AR script from the iPad as you did before, only this time run the script in AR4 on your Mac and use QuickTime to record the playback.
(You will need a version of QuickTime that’s after Quicktime 7)

You’ll find QuickTime X or QuickTime Player (depending on your Mac OSX version) in the Applications folder on the Macbook, launch it and then go to File > New Screen Recording.
A small black window will open with a record button on it, click it to start. Next to this button is a faint grey chevron, clicking on this before recording will give you some limited recording options depending on what version of Mac OSX you have. (Apple can’t help but keep monkeying around with this record feature it would seem!)
Once you’ve got the hang of it, start a new recording and then start the script playback in AR4.
When done, stop the recording and Save or Export the recording. It will be as a .mov file type which you can then give to your editor to polish up for you.

BenjaminLM
06-12-2016, 03:33 PM
Thank you much for that info.
I downloaded it on my laptop, fine, looks good... but it is not available on the iPad, and that's where I make the art.
Do you know of any that work on the iPad?

Benjamin L.M.

I use http://screencast-o-matic.com/home there is a free version, it's easy to use, works on Windows or Mac and can be posted direct to Youtube. I think the free version restricts to 15mins of recording time.

Enug
06-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I don't have an iPad. Have you tried googling for an app?

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=screen%20recording%20app%20for%20ipad

BenjaminLM
06-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Thanks a lot for that.
I tried, but I can't get a QuickTime app on the iPad.
This is a bit harder than i thought!

Hello again,
I don’t have an iPad so can’t advise as to what screen capture software might be available for it, sorry.

However if you have the desktop version of ArtRage4 on your laptop then my opening gambit would be to first try with the Mac’s built-in screen capture first.
You could export the AR script from the iPad as you did before, only this time run the script in AR4 on your Mac and use QuickTime to record the playback.
(You will need a version of QuickTime that’s after Quicktime 7)

You’ll find QuickTime X or QuickTime Player (depending on your Mac OSX version) in the Applications folder on the Macbook, launch it and then go to File > New Screen Recording.
A small black window will open with a record button on it, click it to start. Next to this button is a faint grey chevron, clicking on this before recording will give you some limited recording options depending on what version of Mac OSX you have. (Apple can’t help but keep monkeying around with this record feature it would seem!)
Once you’ve got the hang of it, start a new recording and then start the script playback in AR4.
When done, stop the recording and Save or Export the recording. It will be as a .mov file type which you can then give to your editor to polish up for you.

BenjaminLM
06-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Thanks much for that. :)
I've been Googling all morning to find a good app for the iPad, so have my YouTuber friend,
she's the one that will edit the artwork vids to go onto YouTube.
The best app so far seems to be the "Camtasia" but that's $100 to buy.
I need a free app specifically for iPad.
This is a bit harder to achieve than i first thought... :(

Sorry, I don't have an iPad. Have you tried googling for an app?

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=screen%20recording%20app%20for%20ipad

markw
06-13-2016, 04:03 AM
Hello Benjamin
So to clarify;
You have ArtRage on an iPad
You have a Macbook
You have AtRage4 on the Mac?

If all the above is true, what version of Quicktime do you have on the Macbook? You will need v10 to use the the screen capture feature. If memory serves, I think v10 of Quicktime came in with Apple’s release of Lion or Mountain Lion OS.

If you have all the above in place then you should be good to go and not need any other additional software to make the capture as the screen recording will not be happening on the iPad but on the Mac.

Export the AR Script from the iPad. Open it in AR4 on the Macbook. Start the QT screen record. Start the script playback in AR4. Save the screen recording of the script playing in AR4. Send the file to your editor.

BenjaminLM
06-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Hi there and thanks again!

I have Art Rage on my iPad, and QuickTime on my Mac.

I'm still not sure how to create art on the iPad, but film it on the Mac?
I was hoping to do it all on the iPad so I can make and record the artworks if I leave the house and computer.

Hello Benjamin
So to clarify;
You have ArtRage on an iPad
You have a Macbook
You have AtRage4 on the Mac?

If all the above is true, what version of Quicktime do you have on the Macbook? You will need v10 to use the the screen capture feature. If memory serves, I think v10 of Quicktime came in with Apple’s release of Lion or Mountain Lion OS.

If you have all the above in place then you should be good to go and not need any other additional software to make the capture as the screen recording will not be happening on the iPad but on the Mac.

Export the AR Script from the iPad. Open it in AR4 on the Macbook. Start the QT screen record. Start the script playback in AR4. Save the screen recording of the script playing in AR4. Send the file to your editor.

HannahRage
06-13-2016, 06:37 PM
You can't replay a script back on an iPad (iPads don't allow apps to import custom files, and it would be a very complicated, memory intensive process anyway), you will need a computer to actually create a video recording. There is no way round this.

Scripts are a set of instructions for ArtRage, telling it to 'move this brush there, zoom in this much, change that colour'. You will need one of the desktop versions (ArtRage 3, Lite or 4) to actually use that script. When ArtRage is following the script, you can use screen recording software as described to record the painting process, just as if you were painting live on the computer.

Quicktime on Macs can be set to record whatever you're doing on your iPad screen, allowing you to ignore scripts entirely, but you will still need to be hooked up to a computer:
http://ioshacker.com/how-to/use-quicktime-record-screen-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-8

[Edit: forgot you were on a Mac, you can ignore this recommendation!] - For a decent free program on Windows, there's https://screencast-o-matic.com/home - the main limitation of the free version is that it can only record 15min at a time.

Your friend CAN use the ArtRage 4 demo to play scripts back - www.artrage.com/demos - so if she knows more about this stuff, you might want to leave that step to her.

RedSaucers
06-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Try this :

http://www.lonelyscreen.com/

It is for Windows or Mac and enables the iPad screen to be sent to your PC via Airplay.

Its Quick Start section gives straightforward instructions, and the Download section includes a video at the bottom!

I tried it on Windows and it seems to work pretty well.

Best of all I think it is free!

BenjaminLM
06-15-2016, 02:55 AM
Thank you so much, big help.
I'm onto it!

Benjamin L.M.

You can't replay a script back on an iPad (iPads don't allow apps to import custom files, and it would be a very complicated, memory intensive process anyway), you will need a computer to actually create a video recording. There is no way round this.

Scripts are a set of instructions for ArtRage, telling it to 'move this brush there, zoom in this much, change that colour'. You will need one of the desktop versions (ArtRage 3, Lite or 4) to actually use that script. When ArtRage is following the script, you can use screen recording software as described to record the painting process, just as if you were painting live on the computer.

Quicktime on Macs can be set to record whatever you're doing on your iPad screen, allowing you to ignore scripts entirely, but you will still need to be hooked up to a computer:
http://ioshacker.com/how-to/use-quicktime-record-screen-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-8

[Edit: forgot you were on a Mac, you can ignore this recommendation!] - For a decent free program on Windows, there's https://screencast-o-matic.com/home - the main limitation of the free version is that it can only record 15min at a time.

Your friend CAN use the ArtRage 4 demo to play scripts back - www.artrage.com/demos - so if she knows more about this stuff, you might want to leave that step to her.

BenjaminLM
06-15-2016, 02:57 AM
Great, thanks a lot for that, very helpful.
I will try it.
I just want the easiest possible set-up to make art and record the film.
I also want it easy to edit for my YouTuber who is doing that.

Enjoy!

Benjamin L.M.

Try this :

http://www.lonelyscreen.com/

It is for Windows or Mac and enables the iPad screen to be sent to your PC via Airplay.

Its Quick Start section gives straightforward instructions, and the Download section includes a video at the bottom!

I tried it on Windows and it seems to work pretty well.

Best of all I think it is free!