PDA

View Full Version : switching paintings between android and pc version?

impasto
04-16-2016, 03:25 PM
I paint on my Android tablet, but occasionally I need to move my painting to apply some tools/effects that only work on the pc version. Bump blend mode = replace is an example. My question is whether I can move my painting back to the android tablet, and continue painting? Or I'm risking some corruption of data?
I tried to move back to Android a painting with bump blend mode = replace, and it looks fine on the android tablet, ie the 'replace' is still engaged. So it's great.

Any comments on this topic would be welcome.
thanks, Stanley

KuyaMarc
04-17-2016, 03:01 PM
I paint on my Android tablet, but occasionally I need to move my painting to apply some tools/effects that only work on the pc version. Bump blend mode = replace is an example. My question is whether I can move my painting back to the android tablet, and continue painting? Or I'm risking some corruption of data?
I tried to move back to Android a painting with bump blend mode = replace, and it looks fine on the android tablet, ie the 'replace' is still engaged. So it's great.

Any comments on this topic would be welcome.
thanks, Stanley

Hello! Though I am still a newbie at drawing/painting by hand, I have been interchanging the .ptg files between my Android tablet and the PC and, so far, found no noticable issues. When going from Android to PC, I have seen one (1) pixel gaps in ArtRage for Windows that are not visible in ArtRage for Android. I simply patch up my .ptg file in ArtRage for Windows, next upload that .ptg file to my Android tablet, and then, run ArtRage in my Android tablet to confirm my painting is not "damaged" in any way.

When comparing .ptg files with a hex editor, ArtRage for Windows 4.5.9 adds "extra" data that ArtRage for Android can "interpret". I have not yet been able to identify any type of "corruption" as the Android version reads that data without complaining. It seems Ambient Design has done a lot of testing of ArtRage on multiple platforms already before they make a release binary.

HannahRage
04-18-2016, 02:28 PM
You can move most paintings back and forth without problems, but there are some special cases where you will lose data.

Basically, if it's built into the paint layer data (blend modes, lighting, stickers as paint) it will work fine in Android as it is now part of the paint, but you can't edit it. If it uses a *special* layer or feature that isn't available in Android (text, sticker layers, stencils, 'active' modes like grids and symmetry), then the Android app will just ignore it completely. So it won't show up and saving the painting will, essentially, delete that data.

impasto
04-19-2016, 03:46 PM
thanks guys, useful info.