PDA

View Full Version : Display lag problems

hineroptera
04-15-2016, 06:48 AM
I've noticed that what's displayed on screen is always slightly behind the input. For example, if I'm using the eraser and move my stylus over a line the pixels under my stylus are still visible... but when I move the stylus away the display "catches up" and the pixels in question are erased.

This effect is always present regardless of what tool I'm using. It does not seem to be memory-related since the correct erasing/drawing still renders even if I remove my stylus from the screen. It's like ArtRage has calculated what stroke to draw, but just isn't refreshing the display.

This happens on both my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and my Galaxy S5. Behavior is the same whether I use an S-Pen, wacom pen, or my finger.

If there are any settings I can test on my end to reduce/eliminate this lag, or other information I can provide, please let me know.

HannahRage
04-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Aaaah, that. It's not actually lag, it's a real time delay that is caused by ArtRage using live input - so it can't predict what you're about to do next, so it can't finish the stroke until you've moved on (e.g. if you were holding your finger down in paint - whether you get a nice fingerprint or just smudge everything around is going to depend on how you take your finger away. So you won't know until you've done that). Basically, it hasn't calculated the stroke, if it had, it would have to constantly change it as soon as you moved on.

It's extra visible on mobile devices because they don't have the big 'outline' cursor to indicate the current brush area (... where your finger would be :D )

There's a longer FAQ on it here, but that's the gist of it.
https://www.artrage.com/faqs/why-is-artrage-lagging-about-the-stroke-gap-in-artrage/

hineroptera
04-16-2016, 06:10 AM
Thank you, that link was very helpful!