PDA

View Full Version : Farm

pat1940
04-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Done in oil, ref for barn

eighty+
04-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi Pat Its ok But not up to your normal high standerd ok maybe your tired a good nights rest will do U the world of good

IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE .............POZDRAWSKI

D Akey
04-08-2016, 09:32 AM
So then I take it that you only had actual barn reference and then winged it (wung it?) with all the surroundings? A valiant effort. I can see what you're getting at and this seems to be calling forward the next steps to think about regarding composition. It almost looks like what someone might see when approaching a barn -- where landscaping was not considered, but more the utility of the structure on a working farm. You as the artist can become the landscaper in your painting though.

Overall it has the feeling of leading in to the barn. That's cool. Good idea of theme. And I think it has some good elements we would expect in such a place. And the way it's spread out feels natural. I think perhaps one of the things Mr Ploos is noting is that this composition is sort of static. Placement of elements off-center and using some more diagonal movement might work to your advantage. As you have it, it's borderline symmetrical -- sort of centered. And that doesn't necessarily break up the spaces with a lot of clearly noted variety. That is something that in the copies you did, the artist had used.

It's not difficult to learn to do it. But until one puts their mind on that puzzle, it can go unnoticed until the finished painting seems to be lacking a little dynamics.

What I think you might want to consider before painting, is doing a few roughs, meaning quick little 3 minute exercises dealing with staging. That way you can move elements around, and add embellishments to favor your subject -- which in this case is the barn. The other advantage to it beyond dividing up space, is that since you aren't investing much time on it, you can add lots of elements that could add to the mix.

Anyway, I like that you're maintaining your colors. That's good. And you can enhance the picture when you use trees, in blossom or not, by making them more interesting. Let them breathe a little, and/or give them a bit more character. Put in more flowers and hedges, walls, wells, dress it up some. And then you can really add interest with good lighting. Point the sun at it to best effect -- perhaps over the viewer's shoulder to one side and leading in to really spotlight the barn door, etc. I assure you, those paintings you have been doing in the past do not exist. They're an invention by the artist. And you're the artist here. It's the difference between a statement versus a story. You want to pull in people's emotions and they're lit up by your descriptions.

Oh and this might be useful to watch all 10 (or so) of these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7qonaAIDUk&ist=PLV2X3tgajVlHEWoxhxHBV5JyU7R80LT9R&nohtml5=False

You're on your way to becoming a limitless, creative artist.

Go Pat Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
04-08-2016, 12:09 PM
You are so right dear eighty and no excuses, I am trying to paint without a reference, which I have never been able to do, sure wish I had that talent, but I am going to keep trying, so you may see some not so great paintings but I will learn, I hope :):)I envy our the wonderful artist here that can come up with their own beautiful paintings, have to head back to Canada shortly so maybe I will get the time to come up with some ideas take care eighty and thanks so much for your comments always
DAkey, I sure do appreciate you taking the time to give me such excellent advise, yes the barn was the only ref, the only reason I posted it, was to get your help, and what you said was so informative and will help me a lot, I am going to try to print you comments out so I can have them in front of me, I knew my painting was flat looking, but I will learn through trial and err, as I told dear eighty, we have to head back to Canada soon, so will come back all refreshed with a new start, thank you again, always respect your comments, take care

D Akey
04-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Well, I hope all's well with your mother-in-law (was it?). . .

One thing to take with you in the back of your mind, if one is doing something original, that doesn't mean they have to forget everything they've learned and also not look at other people for inspiration. What you do is get ideas -- a bit from this one, something good about that one, how another one used color, how someone else composed a picture. And then you use those ideas, sometimes closely looking at them, for your own work. We, none of us, are living in a vacuum. And those who scoff at being influenced by the world are unrealistic and in denial. That's more an ego thing.

So help yourself to the banquet of art we have. And, yes, if you can on this journey back to Canada, look through those painter's eyes you've developed. Thank those inspirations like Pino and the rest, and use what they modeled and took on the runway for yourself.

Safe journey, Pat.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: