PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Overlook

gxhpainter2
04-04-2016, 06:07 AM
Another along the theme of looking down at the Pacific from the rugged cliffs and forests along the coast in Oregon... hope you enjoy a brisk sea breeze ! :cool::cool:

D Akey
04-04-2016, 08:15 AM
Very pleasing colors. I like it overall.

I do have one caveat however, steer clear of creating, to use a pejorative, "eye candy". It generally referred to stuff that was created to be pretty accents to a room, where the eye would pause on it and be pleased momentarily and move on. The down side to it was that it was an end in itself, and there wasn't anything really happening artistically. They were mere trifles on par with potpourri and chatchkes. They create a pseudo-art kind of vibe. They were room dressing. Doesn't mean those things didn't sell. They did. You could see them on the walls of banks back when art was considered a sudden big investment when art was appreciating through the roof, and they thought it would smarten up the bank's vibe (for the least amount of cost).

I think based on what I've seen in the broad spectrum of your works that show more artistry is the stuff that has some design sense to it. The Chessman one is an example of that, where you're using all the free action painting chops, but then you take it further and compose a page with those elements showing an aesthetic sense and deliberateness. The best of both worlds so to speak.

Anyway, the colors and strokes are pleasant enough in this one and it rates about a 'B'. But for me it's lacking a substantial design. When you don't have a representational subject to hang everything on, you need to beef up the design to create some sense of orderliness or purposefulness that says a master artist had a hand in it.

My opinion only. But I would start honing in on some signature stylistic devices. You can play around all you want, but as a professional (don't say you're not aiming for it), you need to put those pieces into the world that fit your signature paradigm. And keep the experiments in the backroom until they too develop into a grouping with the same sensibilities to each other. But they're mostly for farming elements to put into the pieces that have your name on them.

Remember, if you want return business, and want to have any market presence, people will return to you based on what characteristics and qualities they expect that you'll have in your work.

Sooner or later if you're getting serious about this, you'll need to think about some of that.

Go man go!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Marilyn Anne
04-05-2016, 05:22 AM
It is a dramatic inspiring coastline. I did get to see it once! The colors are awesome and although our weather is very nice here I would love to see it again!

Caesar
04-05-2016, 08:07 PM
You certainly convey the fresh sensation of waves and whirls and showers of the ocean that breaks against the rocks along the shore and the cliffs.
Your palette is excellent, Your signs very dynamic and there's a vague sensation of vertigo and of sublime terror in front of the immeasurable dimension and power of the Ocean, possibly a metaphoric experience of how we feel in front of the mystery of our individual existence on the edge of the Infinite and the Eternal .... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D:D:eek::cool:

pat1940
04-06-2016, 02:44 AM
You certainly expressed a lot of action and turmoil in this painting Gary, just what you wanted, I could feel more than a breeze lol, it just about blew me over, great expression and well presented

gxhpainter2
04-08-2016, 05:13 AM
Very pleasing colors. I like it overall.

I do have one caveat however, steer clear of creating, to use a pejorative, "eye candy". It generally referred to stuff that was created to be pretty accents to a room, where the eye would pause on it and be pleased momentarily and move on. The down side to it was that it was an end in itself, and there wasn't anything really happening artistically. They were mere trifles on par with potpourri and chatchkes. They create a pseudo-art kind of vibe. They were room dressing. Doesn't mean those things didn't sell. They did. You could see them on the walls of banks back when art was considered a sudden big investment when art was appreciating through the roof, and they thought it would smarten up the bank's vibe (for the least amount of cost).

I think based on what I've seen in the broad spectrum of your works that show more artistry is the stuff that has some design sense to it. The Chessman one is an example of that, where you're using all the free action painting chops, but then you take it further and compose a page with those elements showing an aesthetic sense and deliberateness. The best of both worlds so to speak.

Anyway, the colors and strokes are pleasant enough in this one and it rates about a 'B'. But for me it's lacking a substantial design. When you don't have a representational subject to hang everything on, you need to beef up the design to create some sense of orderliness or purposefulness that says a master artist had a hand in it.

My opinion only. But I would start honing in on some signature stylistic devices. You can play around all you want, but as a professional (don't say you're not aiming for it), you need to put those pieces into the world that fit your signature paradigm. And keep the experiments in the backroom until they too develop into a grouping with the same sensibilities to each other. But they're mostly for farming elements to put into the pieces that have your name on them.

Remember, if you want return business, and want to have any market presence, people will return to you based on what characteristics and qualities they expect that you'll have in your work.

Sooner or later if you're getting serious about this, you'll need to think about some of that.

Go man go!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: Thanks dear D Akey for you very considered advice, I have read this over several times and hopefully I will be able to hone and sharpen my skills
in the directions you have shown me. thanks very much :cool::cool::):):)

It is a dramatic inspiring coastline. I did get to see it once! The colors are awesome and although our weather is very nice here I would love to see it again! thanks Marilyn Anne one of the best times of the year for the Oregon Coast is late August and Sept thru Oct, it is still warm and not so many people and the weather at the coast is superb. during the summer months of June July and Aug the weather in anywhere but the coast is great but it is usually quite a bit cooler at the coast.

You certainly convey the fresh sensation of waves and whirls and showers of the ocean that breaks against the rocks along the shore and the cliffs.
Your palette is excellent, Your signs very dynamic and there's a vague sensation of vertigo and of sublime terror in front of the immeasurable dimension and power of the Ocean, possibly a metaphoric experience of how we feel in front of the mystery of our individual existence on the edge of the Infinite and the Eternal .... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D:D:eek::cool: thanks Caesar a very inspiring interpretation of this and one that is close the the heart of the experience I wanted to convey including the sense of vertigo as the cliffs drop away quite severely in many places so you wind up almost looking straight down at the ocean and rocks and trees clinging to the cliffsides.

You certainly expressed a lot of action and turmoil in this painting Gary, just what you wanted, I could feel more than a breeze lol, it just about blew me over, great expression and well presented thanks Pat!

sabena
04-11-2016, 02:33 AM
Aggressive but very good abstract:cool:

gxhpainter2
04-11-2016, 04:22 AM
Aggressive but very good abstract:cool: glad you like this bold colorful abstract :):)