PDA

View Full Version : At the Old Lighthouse

jacktar51
03-18-2016, 05:28 AM
Posting this before I mess it up.....I have been messing about with light in this picture, its not properly finished but I'm not doing anymore to this one( at the mo).....Hope you like the picture....Jack.

D Akey
03-18-2016, 08:13 AM
So much quality in this one Jack-o! Nice subtleties all over the place.

One critique though, if the horse is still hitched to the wagon, then his really long hind legs could be on the same plane as the wheels because it would be right in front of the cart yo pull it. You could solve the problem the easiest way by unhitching the horse by erasing out the reins. That way the lighthouse keeper could have let him graze and he could have wandered a little. Or you could perhaps shorten the hind legs.

I love that ambient lighthouse light glowing, especially against that semi-light sky. It's rather unique to see them both at the same time -- the getting ready for the night. . . or the extinguishing of it if it's morning. It feels like it's the end of the day to me though and he just arrived in time to light up.

I really like the feel of this one. Very peaceful and still a man doing his important job. Sort of pastoral in that respect. A place I wouldn't mind visiting every time I look at the painting were it on my wall.

Very good technique. Bravo!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

jacktar51
03-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Thanks D,
I thought the rear end of that horse was too big, painted it again,( this time I remembered to fit the arms on the cart ). Thanks for that, couldn't put my finger on it, repair done hope you approve of changes.....Jack.

pat1940
03-18-2016, 12:22 PM
This is perfect Jack, DAkey always gives great advise, and sometimes it is so easy for us too miss something because we are starring at it so long lol

Marilyn Anne
03-18-2016, 12:30 PM
Every painting a story! Very nice!

jacktar51
03-18-2016, 12:32 PM
This is perfect Jack, DAkey always gives great advise, and sometimes it is so easy for us too miss something because we are starring at it so long lol

Hello Pat,
Mr DAkey and I go back quite a long way, his advice to me has always been good and has helped me a great deal in my painting, his tips should always be taken on board and acted upon, sometimes its only small things, but they can make a big difference if you want to be more accurate in your painting, and your right, it does often take someone else to point out any errors, D has always given me guidance and his advice has certainly made me a better artist than I was before he came to Artrage, thanks Pat.....Jack.

D Akey
03-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Yeah, but all I'm bringing is a fresh eye. You guys are the one's with the real vision throughout. Been a wonderful ride, this art making, eh Jack? Your scenes have gotten really really good. And yes, with this fix you nailed it! Well done.

Thank you too, Pat. Nothing better than to watch evolution in action and to witness artists such as yourself when you find what rings your bell and see it languaging its way onto your descriptions of the mood you're communicating via that place or person who acts it out. Sometimes it can even be mostly in the color work that speaks more dramatically than the subject itself if there is a subject. Always a fascinating thing to see what the artist decided to emphasize.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Caesar
03-18-2016, 08:39 PM
A sharp and picturesque shot in a lovely vintage print style. Excellent execution and outcome. Your process is perfectly fine tuned and the palette is harmonically played on a luminous, warmm yellow-green basic gamut.
I wonder if You paint the tiny figures real size to then downsize them into the scenario ....:rolleyes::confused:

jacktar51
03-18-2016, 11:48 PM
A sharp and picturesque shot in a lovely vintage print style. Excellent execution and outcome. Your process is perfectly fine tuned and the palette is harmonically played on a luminous, warmm yellow-green basic gamut.
I wonder if You paint the tiny figures real size to then downsize them into the scenario ....:rolleyes::confused:

Caesar,
How nice, Yes I do paint larger than normal, the size of this picture is 2000 pixel width, I use double that for smaller figures and then downsize for posting, its a trick I picked up from Nickulus, you can take out a person, resize it work on it and then return it to the picture your working on after downsizing again, makes things much easier, nice to see you on here Caesar.....Jack.

P.S. I should mention that in artrage it is necessary to turn papergrain down to zero ON EVERY LAYER EVEN THE BLANK ONES or you will end up with a VERY grainy picture.