PDA

View Full Version : brush strokes and layers

impasto
03-04-2016, 09:40 AM
when I paint with oil brushes, the direction of the brush strokes in the bottom layer is visible, but I want the brush strokes of the top layer to be visible. This is difficult to explain, and the colors show just fine. Im talking about these parallel lines or texture that mimics how the brush moves. After all, it's not interesting how I paint background under the interesting stuff, but the top layer
How can I accomplish it?

markw
03-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Hello impasto
I don’t have the Android version of AR to check with but I imagine it’s Layer options are not too dissimilar to those of the iPad version.
Look to see if you can change the top layer’s Bump Blend Mode to ‘Replace’.
That will stop any paint texture from a lower layer showing under the strokes applied on the layer that is set to ‘Replace’.

HannahRage
03-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Bump Blend Modes! If you go to the layers menu and open the layer for that menu, one of the options up the top is 'Bump Blend Modes'. Choose 'Replace' for the top layer and it will complete overwrite the texture of the layers below.

(you can also manually smooth the layers below by using a palette knife or an oil brush with higher Thinners as well).

There are a couple of other ways to remove the texture, but the blend mode option is non-destructive, so you can undo it later if you need to.

impasto
03-04-2016, 06:48 PM
While I dont see 'bump blend modes' in the Android version, I see it in the PC version. It works nicely, so I should be able to finish my paintings on the PC (I primarily use the Android tablet for painting, as I dont have a stylus for my PC). Thanks guys.