PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Wave

simon ess
02-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I'm new to painting of any kind and this is my first attempt with Artrage.

Any comments are most welcome.

Caesar
02-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Welcome! You certainly didn't start with the easiest subject, unless this is a copy from another painting or a picture .... Nice colors and movement!

simon ess
02-19-2016, 02:40 AM
Thank you for the welcome and the kind comment.

I had no reference for this. It's just a made up scene.

I had no idea it would be regarded as a challenging scene.

Thanks again.

D Akey
02-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Yeah, welcome!

I can feel the explosion of the waves as they hit the rocks, the sound and smells. Lots of movement.

Cool!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Deceptikron_NZ
02-25-2016, 07:23 PM
This is awesome, I one day hope to be able to paint pictures like this just off the top of my head, I am possibly as green as they come when it comes to painting, my first jaunt in the world of painting was 9 years ago when I was 27 and after being frustrated by the results I was getting from airbrushing and not having the money to to be able to afford the equipment I needed to achieve the results I wanted, I thought since I already had the watercolour paints there (student grade) that I would try my hand at watercolour painting, my initial attempts were also somewhat disappointing, but in this case I was able to afford artist grade paints, paper and brushes, I completed 2 A4 sized landscape paintings, one I gave to a girlfriend and 1 sold for $100 on a local auction site, not long after I split up with my girlfriend and I lost my motivation.

Until recently I didn't think I would want to paint again, then 1 day as I already had an android tablet I downloaded the ArtRage app and played with that and didn't think much of it and only until a couple of weeks after that I realised that there was a PC version of the app, I watched a guy by the name of TNARTIST on Youtube, do a speed painting of a stormy ocean scene, which I attempted to duplicate (my very first completed picture in AR4 Demo) then based on the comments and suggestions of peers and family I reworked my picture, twice, but didn't complete it as such, but here are my first 3 attempts at using ArtRage 4 Demo.

The order in which they appear is the order in which I did them, the last one was reworked on my Android tablet during a lunch break at work and as a result I didn't realise until later that there are random smears and lines that I'm not sure I can get rid of so easily, which isn't too bad because I need to duplicate the water effect on my original file on AR 4.5 anyway.

Deceptikron_NZ
02-25-2016, 07:37 PM
What settings did you use to get the colours to not all blend together?

pat1940
02-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Great first painting, keep it up and welcome

simon ess
02-27-2016, 07:34 AM
Thanks very much for all the kind, encouraging comments.

simon ess
02-27-2016, 07:36 AM
What settings did you use to get the colours to not all blend together?

Where I thought that would be a problem, the breaking wave on the rocks for example, I just used different layers.

I hope that helps.

Deceptikron_NZ
02-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Where I thought that would be a problem, the breaking wave on the rocks for example, I just used different layers.

I hope that helps.

Did you use oil? which brush settings?

I am still playing around with AR and experimenting to what it can do

simon ess
02-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Yes, it's all with oil paint.

I used the paint tube and the palette knife mostly. I used the oil brush for the foam.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you the exact settings. I just played around with them until I got what I wanted.