PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Eraser

Abdool
02-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Could you please add a tapering eraser tool ?
It lets you work tiny areas and transition into larger areas without adjusting brush scale.

markw
02-01-2016, 06:21 AM
Hello Abdool
If you are using a pressure sensitive tablet then you can add ‘Size’ (and therefore width) to be controlled by pen pressure.
In the ‘Settings’ panel for the Erasure tool, click in the top space where the little black triangle is and from the pop-up menu choose ‘Set Stylus Properties…’ In the Pen Pressure section of the window that opens click the small round + symbol and choose ‘Size’.
Hopefully this will give you what you want.

jmac
02-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Wow! Would this have been handy to know about a week ago!...Thanks for the tip Mark. I'm setting this up right now.

sueellen
02-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Here is a work-around that I use sometimes since I don't have a pressure-sensitive tablet: I paint the area I want erased on a different layer. It doesn't matter what tool or color. I use the "select contents" edit for that layer. I then go back to the layer with the content I want erased and use the "selected contents" like an eraser shield.
I hope this screenshot shows what I mean: I want a shape erased on the magenta layer, so I create a layer above it and paint the area I want erased in green. I select the green paint, but then apply the eraser to the magenta layer.

Abdool
02-02-2016, 05:05 AM
If you are using a pressure sensitive tablet then you can add ‘Size’ (and therefore width) to be controlled by pen pressure.
In the ‘Settings’ panel for the Erasure tool, click in the top space where the little black triangle is and from the pop-up menu choose ‘Set Stylus Properties…’ In the Pen Pressure section of the window that opens click the small round + symbol and choose ‘Size’.
Hopefully this will give you what you want.

Thanks for the great suggestion Mark, I didn't even realize that setting was there!

...having played with the settings .... I still find that the eraser too thick even with the Size setting.
I can't seem to get the brush to work reliably below 10pixels

- Would be great to have a checkbox that forces 100% opacity
- And a slider for minimum diameter.

I've attached a demo; the LEFT box I used the AR eraser with the new size setting.
It's definitely a big improvement over the previous setting without 'size'.

The CENTER box is an AR ink brush ... I like how the ink doesn't fade.

The RIGHT box is photoshop's eraser with shape dynamics > Control:Pen Pressure, Min Diameter 0%
I'd love to have this kind of control with the eraser in Art Rage!

Sueellen, I use a similar technique sometimes when using a tablet.
I use the ink brush to 'erase' areas and then select that color and delete it.

markw
02-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Hello again Abdool
I see, thanks for the examples. Yes, I doubt that AR’s current eraser could work exactly like PS. But there is perhaps one more adjustment you could try to enforce 100% opacity.
Go back to the Stylus Properties and remove the Pressure property so that you only have Size being controlled by Pen Pressure. Then back in the Tool’s Settings panel set pressure to 100%. And save as a new preset. That should get you an eraser that's bit closer to a PS style.
Fingers crossed that your suggestion may be taken up in the future.

@Suellan
I like your workaround, that’s rather clever and resourceful:cool: