PDA

View Full Version : Spring Fever

gxhpainter2
01-17-2016, 10:31 AM
more along the line of the impending spring here with snow melts and rushing waters, blue skies and emerging forms from the snow cover.

coops
01-18-2016, 02:05 AM
Wonderful colours Gary:)

D Akey
01-18-2016, 04:46 AM
This is great.

I think you're probably getting an idea of what my tastes are. I'm not a real big fan of hard edged shape paintings, and those I do admire are playing to precision and such. Clusters of hard edged shapes that aren't particularly precise of shape, aren't particularly well-arranged or aren't integrated in some overt way are all a little to separate for me, like looking at the chaos in a drawer, which I would prefer to not look at. There's no artistic pointing to anything of note, no voice. Just stuff. (personal take on it only)

What I really like are ones like what is seen in this piece. I love organic shapes that flow and relate in color and shape and treatment. There can be edges all over, but they have something to do with what I consider having gone through an artist's point of view.

But that's just me. I'm a stickler for displayed skill, something that shows someone who is above the unskilled doing something that shows why they made the cut. It's like watching a master vs. someone who is just farting around in a blazé manner. Not speaking for students and learners who I assume are seeking to get better and are on their way to that level of mastery.

Anyway, I say these things so you can add the amount of salt you want. It's your art after all. You control that.

I really like this piece -- a whole lot.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

gxhpainter2
01-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Wonderful colours Gary:) wow thanks Katie so great to hear from you!....:cool::cool::cool:

This is great.

I think you're probably getting an idea of what my tastes are. I'm not a real big fan of hard edged shape paintings, and those I do admire are playing to precision and such. Clusters of hard edged shapes that aren't particularly precise of shape, aren't particularly well-arranged or aren't integrated in some overt way are all a little to separate for me, like looking at the chaos in a drawer, which I would prefer to not look at. There's no artistic pointing to anything of note, no voice. Just stuff. (personal take on it only)

What I really like are ones like what is seen in this piece. I love organic shapes that flow and relate in color and shape and treatment. There can be edges all over, but they have something to do with what I consider having gone through an artist's point of view.

But that's just me. I'm a stickler for displayed skill, something that shows someone who is above the unskilled doing something that shows why they made the cut. It's like watching a master vs. someone who is just farting around in a blazé manner. Not speaking for students and learners who I assume are seeking to get better and are on their way to that level of mastery.

Anyway, I say these things so you can add the amount of salt you want. It's your art after all. You control that.

I really like this piece -- a whole lot.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: Hmmm I am flattered and encouraged by your comments, ya I know how you feel about hard edged stuff, in general, not your cuppa... I guess prior to computers it took time skill and patience to mask off and paint hard edged works like FranK Stella, Joesph Albers etc. but in the computer age just hold the CTRL key and away you go. I like to flirt with hard edged works I guess because I took quite a while of reading and looking to try to get what they were doing, I am natively a more organic shape person and I love nature, but I am attracted to the complexity and straight edges of the city ( in small doses ). I have taken to posting on Instagram and I am slowly building up a following there and the hope is another venue for potential sales and recognition... but this forum is my home and a great source of encouragement and inspiration as well , and you have played a big part in that.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Marilyn Anne
01-18-2016, 11:33 AM
A beautiful flow of colors throughout the whole painting!

gxhpainter2
01-18-2016, 01:10 PM
A beautiful flow of colors throughout the whole painting! thanks Marilyn Anne, I guess I am trying to escape the dull grays of the current weather...

justjean
01-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Great colours in this beauty, Gary

Caesar
01-19-2016, 10:31 PM
You confirm You're on feverish anticipation of the incipient springtime (although it would still take a couple of months).
You really make us see and feel all You describe so wondefully on writing and canvas!
As for the sharp edges ad the rest, I can see everyday how You can cope with them and all other shapes to get something functional under sheer beauty by just looking to the best and most artistic architectures from Empire to Baroque and afterwards progressively deployed along the centuries. Not even the most geometric and sharpest of them seem to be disturbing in their surrounding context.
Therefore I agree on what DAkey states. Greatest artists may trespass and have no specific rule to observe pedantly and even use sharp edges and straight geometries without disturbing our inner aesthetic sense. As for the rest of us, outside the experimental domain, we'd better try to carefully considers usual composition rules very seriously.

gxhpainter2
01-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Great colours in this beauty, Gary thanks justjean how is your painting going?

You confirm You're on feverish anticipation of the incipient springtime (although it would still take a couple of months).
You really make us see and feel all You describe so wondefully on writing and canvas!
As for the sharp edges ad the rest, I can see everyday how You can cope with them and all other shapes to get something functional under sheer beauty by just looking to the best and most artistic architectures from Empire to Baroque and afterwards progressively deployed along the centuries. Not even the most geometric and sharpest of them seem to be disturbing in their surrounding context.
Therefore I agree on what DAkey states. Greatest artists may trespass and have no specific rule to observe pedantly and even use sharp edges and straight geometries without disturbing our inner aesthetic sense. As for the rest of us, outside the experimental domain, we'd better try to carefully considers usual composition rules very seriously. yes you have got me I am definitely ready for some warmer weather and sunshine, just itching to go out riding my bike for longer rides, just have to limit my time to 20-30 minutes in this cold weather...:cool::cool::cool::):):) I like you review of hard edge geometry and its inclusion into the painting world..