PDA

View Full Version : island dreams

gxhpainter2
12-30-2015, 07:40 AM
a foray into another photo painting with an impressionist leaning.. I love the swaying palm trees and pastel sky colors

D Akey
12-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Cool. Sort of a pointillist thing. It's cool in a way. . . or a warm-cool magenta way.

The first impression I got was of looking at color separations, which gives it a rather printing press mechanical feel. I think the reason is because in those cases it just isolates the magenta color wherever it exists throughout the picture, without any noteworthiness of its own. It's a mechanical step that a machine does or can be calibrated into with a setting. And I don't think that's the endpoint you're heading for.

I'm guessing where you might ultimately head with this, but I would perhaps consider isolating areas to do your number on, in a design way, where it would have more of the artist's artistry used to sweep away the super saturation into pleasing or crafted designs. I'm not getting a lot of selectivity in the color and overall patina.

Where I AM getting the artistry is in the simplification of the landscape and the forms. That really shows off the natural design that jumped out of the usual natural photographic assimilation of all of it. And with that being the strong element in this pic (for me), I would key in on that as the 'take away' for you to use as a starting point in the next piece. And the color part might then have a reason for being and thus enter the mix with an artistic sense that gives you guidelines for how to employ color in this kind of context. But why not run with the things that are already appearing and amplify those design bits and see where that goes, sort of like those guys who are playing with audio settings to remove the ambient noise to hear the bits they want to hear clearer (as the general concept of how to turn an image to your purposes).

Go man go!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Enug
12-30-2015, 03:29 PM
A colourful pointillism effect - I like it.

gxhpainter2
12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Cool. Sort of a pointillist thing. It's cool in a way. . . or a warm-cool magenta way.

The first impression I got was of looking at color separations, which gives it a rather printing press mechanical feel. I think the reason is because in those cases it just isolates the magenta color wherever it exists throughout the picture, without any noteworthiness of its own. It's a mechanical step that a machine does or can be calibrated into with a setting. And I don't think that's the endpoint you're heading for.

I'm guessing where you might ultimately head with this, but I would perhaps consider isolating areas to do your number on, in a design way, where it would have more of the artist's artistry used to sweep away the super saturation into pleasing or crafted designs. I'm not getting a lot of selectivity in the color and overall patina.

Where I AM getting the artistry is in the simplification of the landscape and the forms. That really shows off the natural design that jumped out of the usual natural photographic assimilation of all of it. And with that being the strong element in this pic (for me), I would key in on that as the 'take away' for you to use as a starting point in the next piece. And the color part might then have a reason for being and thus enter the mix with an artistic sense that gives you guidelines for how to employ color in this kind of context. But why not run with the things that are already appearing and amplify those design bits and see where that goes, sort of like those guys who are playing with audio settings to remove the ambient noise to hear the bits they want to hear clearer (as the general concept of how to turn an image to your purposes).

Go man go!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: Thanks DAkey.... I totally agree the over all pointillist effect is too mechanical and not enough hand drawn/painted work coming through but this was the first of a test process and I have refined it a bit for my next one I am posting today "Cliff Village" another photo painting from by son's picture archive. Also too much magenta... I tried to desaturate it but not quite enough..

A colourful pointillism effect - I like it. thanks June...

D Akey
12-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks DAkey.... I totally agree the over all pointillist effect is too mechanical and not enough hand drawn/painted work coming through but this was the first of a test process and I have refined it a bit for my next one I am posting today "Cliff Village" another photo painting from by son's picture archive. Also too much magenta... I tried to desaturate it but not quite enough..

Brother, you sure did. That second go in that other painting is really really good. I replied there as well. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Marilyn Anne
01-01-2016, 02:18 AM
I think I have been there! Reminds me of lovely days in the Carribean.

gxhpainter2
01-01-2016, 03:53 AM
I think I have been there! Reminds me of lovely days in the Carribean. Thanks Marilyn Anne I love the Caribbean...