PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ross? Who he?

Aged P
03-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Look and learn.

A very personal style but a lot of fundamental oil painting techniques.
ArtRage can do all of this in slightly different ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

Bob Ross on line videos. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=buyable

Phil

pai
04-01-2007, 07:23 AM
hi aged p,

that's a very good link. i've never know that there's video on internet demonstrating how to paint. i definitely will get benefit on watching it.

thanks. :D

wyrdness
08-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Bob Ross is a god of painting! My mum and I used to love watching the early morning reruns before going off to work/ college. :) Watching the shows always made me wish I was that good at painting landscapes, which is one way of making me practice (I have little skill in actual painting, I'm more a sketcher at heart I think. Doesn't stop me trying though!) :D

Aged P
08-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi Wyrdness,

I admired him because he had such a fundamental grasp of which parts of a landscape were essential. Watched him on Sky everyday.

I've got a DVD which just gives his basic methods and I still look at it.

I did a course, bought a lot of his equipment and then discovered Artrage. :roll: Just used one of his knives to apply some wall filler. :cry:

I had stopped nagging the ArtRagers but now is a good time to start again.

Don't try anything he did without downloading a .png designed for the purpose. The ArtRage default paint thickness does not rely on seeing whether a fingerprint shows up. You could disappear up to your wrist in their choice. :lol:

The Palette knife is OK'ish for BR stuff but you need to apply "the little roll of paint " straight out of the tube.

Give it a try, it's fun!

Phil

hanzz
08-03-2007, 04:19 AM
oh, here I was thinking, he's gonna show some of his BR paintings done with AR ....................

:twisted:

RobertSWade
08-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I too watched him for years and before him, William Alexander, both on PBS. I still watch BR in fact on one of my cable channels: the "Create" channel. It also has a watercolor series called "Painting Wild Places".

Aged P
08-03-2007, 05:08 AM
Ah Hanzz,

I have been seduced away from painting temporarily. :)

Soon I will have defeated all the Nordic teenagers and be a level 70 Warrior Dwarf. :lol:

Go with WoW.

Phil

Adam Black
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Bob Ross is the Buddha of painting. I never get tired of watching him work, and he always brings a smile to my face.

The Joy of Painting is the only thing in the world that can bring me out of a bad mood 100% of the time.

RobertSWade
09-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I have to disagree Adam. He was more like a Bodhisaatva ... one who's being is enlightenment, one who has attained all of the enlightenment to be a Buddah, but has chosen to stay on this plane of existance for the enlightenment of those of us who are less evolved. (Sorry, spent too much time studying mythology. :) )

Adam Black
09-09-2007, 04:49 AM
You are correct, sir! :lol:

My brother's a Buddhist. I should've known this. :wink:

ginem_ginem
09-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I remember him from when I was a child...
Couldn't stop laughing at his hair :)
But I did learn allot I believe...

WillBellJr
10-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi Wyrdness,

I admired him because he had such a fundamental grasp of which parts of a landscape were essential. Watched him on Sky everyday.

I've got a DVD which just gives his basic methods and I still look at it.

I did a course, bought a lot of his equipment and then discovered Artrage. :roll: Just used one of his knives to apply some wall filler. :cry:

I had stopped nagging the ArtRagers but now is a good time to start again.

Don't try anything he did without downloading a .png designed for the purpose. The ArtRage default paint thickness does not rely on seeing whether a fingerprint shows up. You could disappear up to your wrist in their choice. :lol:

The Palette knife is OK'ish for BR stuff but you need to apply "the little roll of paint " straight out of the tube.

Give it a try, it's fun!

Phil

This is exactly why I'm here today - I discovered ArtRage a coupla months ago but I've put off using it till now (I'm the kinda purchaser that buys stuff ahead of my being ready to use it...)

My wife took some painting courses at the Michael's art store and the first thing she learned was some flowers where they put >2 colors< on the brush and swirled it around to make the flower petals. What she did was really nice!

Of course I told her - "Hey! try my ArtRage program!..." - the first thing she asked was how to load the brush with 2 colors like that - I was stumped! :oops:

I then started futzing around trying to mix colors (my fault I'm not yet too familiar with the program short of dabbling) but I just couldn't seem to get the colors to >mix in expected ways<??
(Needless to say my suggestion to my wife to use ArtRage went south after witnessing my fumblings with it...)

The previous weekend for my first Newbie attempt, I sat down watching a Bob Ross show to follow along - I had my Intuos 3 all plugged in and ready, and the first thing he did - take some red and yellow to mix it and paint a "sun" in the top middle of the canvas.

Again, I got lost - first, I guess there isn't a mixer window in ArtRage? I looked all around but didn't see anything short of mixing on the canvas??

Next I still couldn't get the colors to blend in a fashion that was needed for the painting he was doing.

I tried heavy thinner, no thinner, heavy paint loading - very slight paint loading - no joy, I couldn't get simple mixes?

If I painted say a yellow oil brush stroke over a red stroke it would yeild a yellow stroke over a red one?? Only if I kept "swirling" the brush around over the red would it >mix< on the edges or pull orange into the middle?
(Yes, I had auto dry turned off!)

Am I missing something with techniques on how to control the brushes? - Help!

Last nite after watching my wife successfully oil paint from one of his shows I realized that perhaps I need to "paint my canvas white" even though the background was already white. That helped at bit when attempting his "Sky" mixing the blue with the "wet white background" but again I can't control my brushes in the fashion his shows demand??

I'm so jealous of my wife because she's actually picking this stuff up and is doing quite well!

I prefer to do my art in the digital realm being a game programmer but the only art training I have is based on 80% reading books and tutorials and 20% wishing and dreaming... :cry:

So my questions are 1) is there a paint mixer I somehow missed in ArtRage?? (Or is one planned in the future)

And 2) Is there tutorials or techniques that I can read that will show me better control of my brushes so that I can "follow along" with the Bob Ross shows?

Or is it just not possible to do the "Bob Ross Technique" with ArtRage as it is now? (I feel being able to follow along with his show using AR would be a great selling point for sure!)

I tried the Painter demo but was obviously overwhelmed. The one thing I don't like about Painter is it doesn't "feel" like a "Canvas" like ArtRage does, it feels like a regular graphics program with its dropdowns and numeric spinners etc.

ArtRage has the look and feel of actual painting (well, once I get a handle on controlling the oil brush better!...)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

-Will

artragefanatic
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey willbelljr, Even though Artrage is my favorite painting software by far, it can't replace traditional methods. This doesn't mean stunning artwork can't be done with Artrage, you just need to find what works for you(experiment).

As far as I know, there isn't a paint mixer, but you can mix paint on the canvas(you knew that already right, lol). My best advice is to paint what you see, paint from photos or from life first. Get a feel for how things look and feel. Don't copy or trace the photo(won't learn much that way). The most important thing Bob Ross can teach is the way he paints-fast and without worry.

Artrage can't mimic a fan brush or load a bunch of colors on the brush at the same time, but that doesn't mean you're out of luck. Try some different approaches! If you need some help just ask anyone here a specific problem you have and I'm sure we'll find a solution.

Most of all, share your artwork! Good luck

WillBellJr
10-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Okay thanks, ArtrageFanatic - so my grasp of AR as it stands today is correct.

Yes, I understand and agree with all that you've suggested.

I briefly suggested elsewhere here that it would be great of ArtRage could be adjusted slightly so that you could use the "Bob Ross" methods of painting and could follow along with his shows using the program.

I feel that would be a nice >feature set< for this program since it already has such a nice "canvasy" (<- a happy little made up word here) feel to it.

I think it would be a great selling point and could perhaps give rise to even more registrations if the word spread...

Anyway, thanks for your response!

-Will

artragefanatic
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
I completely agree, and maybe Artrage is moving towards that in its next release.