PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Presley

danny72
12-03-2015, 09:38 AM
88370Elvis

pat1940
12-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Cried my heart out when he died, loved his music and still do, wonderful job, Elvis himself would have loved this one

danny72
12-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Cried my heart out when he died, loved his music and still do, wonderful job, Elvis himself would have loved this oneThanks Pat1940.. I'm canna work some more on this drawing.. To big forhead,and i want to work more on the hair,and facial features.. :-)

D Akey
12-04-2015, 07:38 PM
"Uh thank you a-very much. . ."

Well, we won't have a Blue Christmas now that he's front and center via your drawing.

Yeah, I think somebody like Elvis, it's tricky getting it right if you're not exaggerating broadly. He's such an icon and many people adored how he looked and studied every facial feature when they were teenagers or whatever. If you go really silly or hammy, it's easier because people know it's not supposed to be photographic. Or at the other end of acceptability is to do a straight portrait. But including a slight bit of exaggeration probably has to conform with how he sits in people's mind's eye for them to jump up and say "EXACTLY!".

It's one of the reasons I resist doing portraits for family members. I rarely know how to look inside people's heads and get to how they think they look in order to please them.

He's a very good one to experiment with because everybody knows him.

This is pretty good though, in this case I agree with you that a couple adjustments might help. But were it anyone else it would be perfect as it is.

You're doing great with these. Very fun to look at your parade of celebrity.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

danny72
12-04-2015, 09:29 PM
"Uh thank you a-very much. . ."

Well, we won't have a Blue Christmas now that he's front and center via your drawing.

Yeah, I think somebody like Elvis, it's tricky getting it right if you're not exaggerating broadly. He's such an icon and many people adored how he looked and studied every facial feature when they were teenagers or whatever. If you go really silly or hammy, it's easier because people know it's not supposed to be photographic. Or at the other end of acceptability is to do a straight portrait. But including a slight bit of exaggeration probably has to conform with how he sits in people's mind's eye for them to jump up and say "EXACTLY!".

It's one of the reasons I resist doing portraits for family members. I rarely know how to look inside people's heads and get to how they think they look in order to please them.

He's a very good one to experiment with because everybody knows him.

This is pretty good though, in this case I agree with you that a couple adjustments might help. But were it anyone else it would be perfect as it is.

You're doing great with these. Very fun to look at your parade of celebrity.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: Thank you,D Akey.. I think it's fun to show the drawings on this forum,and see what other people create..

danny72
12-05-2015, 12:24 AM
88370ElvisI have chance some bits on this drawing.. Don't no what more i can do to make this portrait better.. Tips are always welcome ;-)

AndreaMG
12-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Striking resemblance, now the only thing missing is a gretsch :cool:

danny72
12-07-2015, 06:00 AM
[QUOTE=danny72;502111]88378I have changed some bits on this drawing.. Don't no what more i can do to make this portrait better.. Tips are always welcome ;-)

D Akey
12-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Well it's a-one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and

GO CAT GO!!!!!!!!!!!

kenmo
12-07-2015, 11:55 AM
He's not from Sweden... LOL...

Your artwork is fantastic, always a pleasure to view....

danny72
12-07-2015, 06:16 PM
He's not from Sweden... LOL...

Your artwork is fantastic, always a pleasure to view.... Thank you! The same about your artwork.. I really like to see all the work people do. All around the globe.. Love it :-)

D Akey
12-08-2015, 05:26 AM
88378I have chance some bits on this drawing.. Don't no what more i can do to make this portrait better.. Tips are always welcome ;-)

Okay then, for tips -- When you're dealing with an icon like Elvis, certain attributes stand out for which he is famous -- the hair for sure, and also that sort of wry leering smile with the really full lower lip. Those are a couple things that Elvis impersonators key in on, and for good reason. You have to get those essentials exactly right and believable, even when exaggerating in a caricature.

I think the lower lip needs to be cleaner and perhaps a little more bulbous. Not all things within a source photo are serving what we do with paintings and as an artist, you have to take some liberties occasionally. For example that dark shape on his lower lip to our left seems to bisect it and makes it look a little like an indentation which breaks the illusion of fullness.

Overall, one of the things that would help strengthen your work generally is to sharpen up the precision of your drawing shapes. It's apparent when an area has been worked on a lot. But cleaning it up will make it look more professional. We're translating the image into shapes, edges and volume. Some people take that into the concept of planes so that the lighting and tone supports the whole. So for example, all the individual hairs -- a better approach might be to look at it like a mass with planes, and then work it from that angle, over which some details could be added. But that way it gives it structure and volume.

So my advice is more in the area of approach. Everybody has their own working methods. But that's how an illustrator would often deal with a portrait back in the old school.

We're talking about how to make a pretty decent portrait sing. You clearly have a lot of talent. So this advice is not about tweaking a particular spot on the picture. It's more about the overview. Still loving your work.

gxhpainter2
12-08-2015, 07:48 AM
danny72 I don't often comment on you works but I do check them all out and you have an amazing ability to capture, and I like that you pick such a variety of people.
this has improved greatly over the first post. You are an incredibly prolific artist.

danny72
12-08-2015, 10:59 AM
danny72 I don't often comment on you works but I do check them all out and you have an amazing ability to capture, and I like that you pick such a variety of people.
this has improved greatly over the first post. You are an incredibly prolific artist. Thank you :-) So nice to hear

danny72
12-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Okay then, for tips -- When you're dealing with an icon like Elvis, certain attributes stand out for which he is famous -- the hair for sure, and also that sort of wry leering smile with the really full lower lip. Those are a couple things that Elvis impersonators key in on, and for good reason. You have to get those essentials exactly right and believable, even when exaggerating in a caricature.

I think the lower lip needs to be cleaner and perhaps a little more bulbous. Not all things within a source photo are serving what we do with paintings and as an artist, you have to take some liberties occasionally. For example that dark shape on his lower lip to our left seems to bisect it and makes it look a little like an indentation which breaks the illusion of fullness.

Overall, one of the things that would help strengthen your work generally is to sharpen up the precision of your drawing shapes. It's apparent when an area has been worked on a lot. But cleaning it up will make it look more professional. We're translating the image into shapes, edges and volume. Some people take that into the concept of planes so that the lighting and tone supports the whole. So for example, all the individual hairs -- a better approach might be to look at it like a mass with planes, and then work it from that angle, over which some details could be added. But that way it gives it structure and volume.

So my advice is more in the area of approach. Everybody has their own working methods. But that's how an illustrator would often deal with a portrait back in the old school.

We're talking about how to make a pretty decent portrait sing. You clearly have a lot of talent. So this advice is not about tweaking a particular spot on the picture. It's more about the overview. Still loving your work. Thank you for the nice words,and tips.. I have to say that i hade a poor reference.. Its was hard to do.. I'm continue work on it :-)

D Akey
12-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the nice words,and tips.. I have to say that i hade a poor reference.. Its was hard to do.. I'm continue work on it :-)

Exactly. I've been in the same situation many times. I think that's where our knowledge of anatomy and understanding of drawing and painting comes in handy -- more than that, it saves the day often times. But I greatly admire you interest in perfection. It pays off. Well done. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

danny72
12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Exactly. I've been in the same situation many times. I think that's where our knowledge of anatomy and understanding of drawing and painting comes in handy -- more than that, it saves the day often times. But I greatly admire you interest in perfection. It pays off. Well done. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: I'm learning.. Still work on a bamboo tablet.. Soon i get a intuos medium pro(Thanks to Santa ) I don't know if my work will be improved.. We will see :-)

danny72
12-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Exactly. I've been in the same situation many times. I think that's where our knowledge of anatomy and understanding of drawing and painting comes in handy -- more than that, it saves the day often times. But I greatly admire you interest in perfection. It pays off. Well done. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I see it also(the lips) That looks stranged .. Your right :-)