PDA

View Full Version : iPad pro & Apple pencil

burns300
11-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Will ArtRage be supporting the iPad pro and Apple pencil because I look forward to the release of them.
Thanks for anwer.

HannahRage
11-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes, ArtRage will be supporting those devices. We're still working on the updates, so we can't announce the full details yet, but ArtRage will definitely work!

burns300
11-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Thank you Hannah!

Only one thing is missing.... the device and its stylus

MattRage
11-11-2015, 11:22 AM
We're waiting for them too! We don't get given preview hardware so while I actually have the code sitting here in front of me to support the Apple Pencil, I have no way to test it until the device is actually released in their store and I can get one here. That said, ArtRage has been doing tilt for many years now and all of that simulation is built in to our paint simulation so I don't expect any serious issues when I get the hardware and make sure that we're processing stylus data correctly.

We've got a 2.1 update currently about to enter internal testing that adds support for the new device along with a bunch of other things and we'll let you know more as soon as we can!

halljames
11-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Hi Matt.

Have you got you're hands on them yet. My pencil arrived today and I was surprised to find that the current version doesn't even support drawing with the pencil, never mind any pressure etc. Looking forward to updates though as the pencil is an amazing stylus and I can imagine it will be brilliant with art rage 😀

halljames
11-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Hi Matt.

Have you got you're hands on them yet. My pencil arrived today and I was surprised to find that the current version doesn't even support drawing with the pencil, never mind any pressure etc. Looking forward to updates though as the pencil is an amazing stylus and I can imagine it will be brilliant with art rage 😀

Correction, you can draw if you turn off Palm rejection 😀

tray271
11-23-2015, 08:19 AM
I've tried the iPad pro and love the pencil ..I love art rage on my iPad Air 2 but I don't like the speed.will you be taking advantage of the much faster cpu and will you also allow rotation.at the moment the best app in my opinion is procreate..but on my Wacom companion art rage rules I love it..if you can get this to be optimised for the iPad pro I think it could be truly amazing for artists..the iPad pro opens up so many opportunity s and with the superb screen and superb battery life and pencil all it needs is art rage..any info what's going to be new etc

tray271
11-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Halljames how did you find the speed of the water colour brush and the oil..did you have an iPad Air 2 before this purchase ..be nice to know what the speed is like. The iPad pro cup should be as fast as an i5 laptop so I expect it to be really fast

MattRage
11-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Thanks to a rapid courier service we've now got an Apple Pencil here and have confirmed that the 2.1 build works correctly with it, including pressure and tilt. The product is working well on iPad Pro and there are no specific optimisations we need to do for the processor (although I have tweaked the watercolour tool because the threading on the iPad Pro seems a bit faster).

The new 2.1 build is in testing at the moment and will include canvas rotation, the form factor of the iPad Pro means that it makes sense being able to rotate the canvas without needing to rotate the device (this feature will also be available on other iPads).

tray271
11-24-2015, 05:26 AM
thx for quick reply matt...how much faster did you find the water colour brush and the oil with the ipad pro ..is it a lot faster than the ipad air 2 .thx

MattRage
11-24-2015, 12:14 PM
It felt quite a lot faster, to the point that we increased the maximum tool size on the iPad Pro.

furea
11-26-2015, 02:39 AM
When would it be available? I can't wait to use it :)

HannahRage
11-26-2015, 12:19 PM
"As soon as it's ready", basically. Because it's such a big update, there are nice big new bugs, so we have to do a fair bit of testing first.

sjm88
11-30-2015, 05:12 AM
Greatly looking forward to this update - ArtRage on the iPad Pro is dream come true. Really appreciate the recent updates, and I hope we will see some great performance gains from the pro.

Will you be supporting the iOS 9 split screen feature? This is more or less par for the course for the iPad pro, and having been using procreate a lot, it is a big part of my workflow. It would make a lot of sense for ArtRage to support it!

MattRage
11-30-2015, 12:20 PM
We will! One of the reasons we couldn't just release 2.1 as soon as we had a Pencil to test with is that we've completely reconstructed our canvas handlers and most of the interface handlers to help with split screen functionality.

Lazardk
02-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Good implementation for iPad Pro, but the Pencil tool is missing the Apple Notes shine.
I hope the next version will take the Pencil to new level
Regards, Matt at All

HannahRage
02-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Good implementation for iPad Pro, but the Pencil tool is missing the Apple Notes shine.
I hope the next version will take the Pencil to new level
Regards, Matt at All

Is there some specific behaviour you can identify for us? Or do you just want us to make the Pencil light up when you use it? :p