PDA

View Full Version : Crisp and Juicy.

DarkOwnt
10-15-2015, 04:07 PM
My third still life, and my first created entirely in ArtRage. Hope you like it!

Marilyn Anne
10-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Well done ! Very juicy!

RedSaucers
10-15-2015, 10:28 PM
This is awesome, very photo real, did you use the oil brush mainly for this?

Caesar
10-15-2015, 10:29 PM
You cropped it and its practically an Hyper-realistic rendering! WOW :eek::cool:

DarkOwnt
10-16-2015, 01:32 AM
This is awesome, very photo real, did you use the oil brush mainly for this?

Thank you!

Yes. I used no other brushes. My process does use blenders, layers, transparency, and blend modes quite a bit and I did apply layer blurring once when I had to.

My favorite brush which I use very extensively is what I call a "NiceShader". I use it for "dry" blending and with repeated sampling of the colors laid down, can be used to make subtle effects. It's the something like faint glazing which would be done with real paint (I assume). I find this kind of blending produces accurate colors in ArtRage.

EDIT:

PLEASE NOTE:

I forgot to mention, for the NiceShader brush I have removed "Size" from the "Pen Pressure" setting of the "Stylus Properties".

This allows maintaining the brush size when applying hardly any pressure which is needed when covering large areas with the shader.

DarkOwnt
10-16-2015, 03:12 AM
You cropped it and its practically an Hyper-realistic rendering! WOW :eek::cool:

Thank you Caesar.

Yes I did crop it... early on I decided to concentrate on only one apple - between the jars. The reference photo had many apples... too many! The only thing I miss in the final is the background, but we must make choices.

I left the rough work outside unrefined and uncorrected and continued to work on my area of interest.

PS Is there an easy way to crop an entire painting (all layers - I usually have 10) in ArtRage so that you can continue working on a smaller painting? EDIT: Caesar answered this question.

Caesar
10-16-2015, 04:05 AM
Thank you Caesar.

Yes I did crop it... early on I decided to concentrate on only one apple - between the jars. The reference photo had many apples... too many! The only thing I miss in the final is the background, but we must make choices.

I left the rough work outside unrefined and uncorrected and continued to work on my area of interest.

PS Is there an easy way to crop an entire painting (all layers - I usually have 10) in ArtRage so that you can continue working on a smaller painting?

This is a good question indeed and I think You may do it by resizing the canvas (not the painting) on modify and then move the painting by drawing it into the little frame (by pointing and keep left mouse button pressed of course). What would be interesting is how to resizing simultaneously several layers without merging them all first or, at least, being able to de-merge them afterwards. Maybe by groups of layers? I never used this feature indeed. So I have no answer for this latter, but I hope someone does.

DarkOwnt
10-16-2015, 04:35 AM
You are absolutely correct. Crop/Expand Canvas does the trick - it's right there in the Edit menu.

D Akey
10-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Good enough to eat. Really looks delicious.

Beautifully rendered. Nice attention to detail. I love the skin.

JOSEPHINE.EARP
10-17-2015, 02:04 AM
This is so good, I wish I had your talent. Best wishes Jo x

DarkOwnt
10-17-2015, 03:21 AM
This is so good, I wish I had your talent. Best wishes Jo x

Thank you Jo. It's not innate talent (which is a myth). Believe me. It is only a product of practice, observation, reproduction, and refinement.

I've seen your work. I believe you have the talent already but you have decided to apply it to a different way of making art.

I do not believe realism is superior to any other form of representation. To my mind Art brings to life something perceived, something important, something experienced by the artist, and is not merely a photo-reproduction. That said realism can be used in an artwork for effect, or even be its primary technique for presenting the subject.

If you are interested in the kinds of techniques I have been using I suggest you check out this tutorial, mentoring lighting exercises videos 1 and 2:

http://jermilex.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-MentoringExercises1-2-97001923

PLEASE NOTE: instead of blending with ArtRage's palette knife (these tutorials use Corel Painter and its blending tools) or wet blending in ArtRage use something like the "NiceShader" below (high thinners, insta dry and autoclean) to lay down colors and sample intermediate colors to blend nicely. I have found it is the only way I can achieve in ArtRage the results I am looking for along the lines of the tutorial without strange high saturation blending artifacts.

EDIT:

PLEASE NOTE:

I forgot to mention, for the NiceShader brush I have removed "Size" from the "Pen Pressure" setting of the "Stylus Properties".

This allows maintaining the brush size when applying hardly any pressure which is needed when covering large areas with the shader.

Have fun and good luck!

DarkOwnt
10-17-2015, 03:23 AM
Marilyn Ann

D Akey

Thank you very much for your kind comments!

DarkOwnt
10-18-2015, 01:30 AM
PLEASE NOTE:

Slap Happy Larry
10-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Thank you!

Those are really nice settings. Thanks for sharing.

promethias
10-19-2015, 04:45 AM
Amazing work!!