PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day

Caesar
10-13-2015, 03:08 AM
He was supposed to open the Chinese and Indian market , but, as Genoans tend to do due to their stinginess, he saved too much on costs and didn't buy a GPS, so .... LOL:o:D

I just remembered of Cristoforo Colombo (i.e. Christoforus Columbus in the Latin version scholars and educated people used to have then, like Erasmus or Cartesius) who sailed today of more than 500 years ago towards the Indiae and found America achieving a most successful mistake (he certainly failed his mathematical and science exams, I think, when he attended Pisa University, which was actually existing, founded in 1343, for you information).
Obviously I cannot celebrate normally an event, so I quickly set up this in a hour, more or less, this joke, resuming a beach scenario I already painted a few years ago.

eighty+
10-13-2015, 03:24 AM
Ho Ho HO old Mighty ONE make Mine a Double RUM old Boy and I'll fight the I S with one hand tied behind my Back :cool::cool::cool: CIAO

JOSEPHINE.EARP
10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
I love this fun piece. It has really cheered me up thank you. Best wishes Joxx

joey_matthews
10-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Haha!! Caesar! Your added amusement in the writing made me chuckle. I like your artwork buddy, absolutely admire you talent.

Keep 'em coming!

BushcraftOnFire
10-13-2015, 03:47 PM
LOL! Happy Columbus Day.. great rendering Caesar!

Caesar
10-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Dear ATPlus, I noticed You got considerable benefits on Your thread from drinking rum before drawing and painting. Also your wonderfully portrayed boy got redder cheeks and nose as well as a joyful smile from Your alcoholic potion! Was it due to a few toasts based on rum for celebrating this event? LOL :o;) Thank You!

I'm glad this vignette was almost as useful as Eighty+' rum to cheer You up, dear Jo. ;):o Thank You!

Thank You, dear Joey! I told I'm not really an artist, just, hopefully, a decent (mostly) visual clown and joker ....;):o:p

Thank You, dear BushcraftOnFire! You too! I realized that few appropriate oil-tool brushstrokes, a couple of fur stickers and the ink pen for reinforcing the close range drawing are fast and effective enough to fix very quickly a visual idea You vaguely see in Your mind. For a vignette it's sufficient I think.

D Akey
10-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Hahaha. He has a look like, "I booked the hotel months ago and they assured me they were remodeling. They didn't mention it wouldn't be complete for a few hundred years. . . What shall I tell the ladies. . ."

Gotta love yachting in the Caribbean.

Very fun. It looks like there are a couple women in the row boat. What a story. I think it's the expression on Cristobal Colon (aka Cristoforo Colombo aka Christopher Columbus) as he's planting his petard that has a story in it. It's like he was in mid-land grab when he is seeing the whole jungle emerge as feathered warriors.
"I claim this land in the. . . in the. . . I claim. . . I declare! Oh, hiya chief! How's the wives and all the little chieftans?"

Good painting. Great story. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Caesar
10-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Hahahaha:o You really know how to turn an event and a vignette into a comedy piece, dear DAkey, better than Plautus!
Now I know why his original Latin name, that relates to a pidgeon or more precisely a to a male dove (columba/ae, colombo), was later on turned by his royal client, into another Latin name concerning the final part of the intestine, the one before the rectum, precisely the colon (Lat. colon (or colum), i), a couple of other meanings of that word being member and ametric figure, thus unlikely. :rolleyes: As a matter of fact, considering Your information, that one must have been the part which suffered and moved the most when he got scared by the sudden appearance of the indigenous population, so I guess that next to the vexillum he actually left a faeces-cake which was not really good then, but it inspired, later on, the creation of a far better dessert recipe called, be evolving of the original name into the new Pilgrim Fathers language, cheese-cake. ;):oLOL

Caesar
10-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Deleted as repetition

Fashmir
10-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Nice bit of fun dear Caesar! In the part of the U.S. where I live we have traded Columbus day for Indigenous People's day, preferring to celebrate the lives, cultures and world view of the people who were here first rather than a violent conqueror. Seeing your funny image is a lift to the spirits as you poke fun at a historical figure many have called a monster. :-)

Caesar
10-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Nice bit of fun dear Caesar! In the part of the U.S. where I live we have traded Columbus day for Indigenous People's day, preferring to celebrate the lives, cultures and world view of the people who were here first rather than a violent conqueror. Seeing your funny image is a lift to the spirits as you poke fun at a historical figure many have called a monster. :-)

Dear Fashmir, anyone may celebrate whatever he wishes of course, but I'm not aware of Colombo (Columbus) being a conqueror, which is certainly not what is celebrated, curiously in US and in NY in regular and gaudy way. Here in Italy we only celebrate, usually at meaningful mid-secular or secular anniversaries, an achievement against all odds that certainly changed history (and would have occured anyway more or less later on) because of a unique mix of knowledge, faith, expertise and self-confidence mix of that man. He wasn't probably the best navigator ever , since he actually made or showed wrong calculations to support his proposal, (You know, in US movies they like to find always the best in an expertise or disciplne as if life gives the same ranking for that specific field in any whatsoever case). He wasn't probably the greatest Italian explore-admiral either, not even of that period (the other two being Amerigo Vespucci and Sebastiano Caboto, all going abroad for success, funny constant rule from then on, isn't it?). Actually it was not by mere chance that these three were born in Italy not on the Ocean, Colombo in Genoa, Caboto in Venice and Vespucci in Florence (i.e. close to Pisa) since Pisa, Genoa and Venice had been or still were three of the four Sea Republic in our peninsula and by far the European naval superpowers in the Mediterranean.
Moreover Italy was the leading cultural place for practically any kind of subject, including geographic, cartographic and matemathical knowledge being clearly the best Europe.
Having said this, I would also point out that the actual early conquerors (conquistadores), followed by many other and from other countries as well, were instead CortÚs and Pizarro, as far as I know and I'm not aware of any particular cruel or fierce behaviour of Colombo recorded in his journeys narrations. Moreover CortÚs succeeded in his conquest and half genocide with a bunch of soldiers (certainly not nice people at all) not because of his military superiority and or particular intelligence, but because they took with them deadly diseases for natives who didn't experience them before and were not immune from.
In any case invasions, conquests, mass immigrations, clashes of empires or civilizations, bloody migratory waves are just the history we had since millennia and we still have and certainly nowhere people was or is respected, least where huge natural resources and scarce population density existed.
Moreover it's paradoxical to judge with our present spiritual and humanitarian sensitivity, safety, wealth, lifespan, knowledge etc. people of a quite different context of centuries ago when the then demographic, economical, religious, political etc. drivers, both material and spiritual) moved those change. Curiously enough the judgement most depends on how much tolerant or correct or mild (often hypocritically) we wish to appear, thus it come not from any place and area in the world, from any country (present and past imperial centres etc.). For instance we always cite, naturally horrified, the atrocities crusades caused forgetting all the drivers of them, thus very much alike the drivers which pushed Arabians to submit previous civilizations and othe populations with the relevant atrocities, the moorish pirates or the Ottoman Empire expansion with their own atrocities etc. committing the similar brutal deeds (plenty of defensive towers and towns in the Mediterranean northern coasts may withness them) without anyone dreaming of restoring the historical truth and balance to avoid future tragedies.
So, celebrating now ancient or past tragedies is of litttle use (and we should be on holiday everyday changing the subject each half an hour at least) , except than for keeping memory, avoid repetitions and make something good from part cultures and civilizations survive if possible, but the best service would be to wonder what can insetad be done to break with the appropriate means, working on mechanism more than against people, what else is similarly happening and is going to happen that repeats the same criminal deeds right now, otherwise we're only trying to appease our conscience in a comfortable way.

I'm relieved, anyway, that You appreciated and had fun with this vignette which is quite evidently mocking the guy's mythical image and any sort of patriotic grandeur, but still keeping a residual respect for what was an extraordinary enterprise and mand I would have not been able to emulate.
Finally I'm always glad to here from You, another guy I wouldn't be able to emulate, so thank You very much!

Fashmir
10-15-2015, 04:10 AM
Caesar- I love your response to this. Calling for authenticity in the mind and heart of one who is outraged by events in history, is along the path of true seeing. I am a person who grew up in a part of the world that profited from the destruction and cultural displacement of its native peoples (I know, who isn't right?). Back in the 1960s and 1970s when my brother and his friends wanted to play "Cowboys and Indians" I was *always* the 'Indian'. Throughout grade school my diet of reading material was of the early days of the U.S. and the old west from the perspective of books written about native people. I read and re read the biographies of Pontiac, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Squanto, Tecumseh, Crazy Horse, Cochise, Chief Joseph and many others. I was fascinated by a culture depicted again and again that seemed to be experiencing true freedom and spiritual significance until it was stolen. In my fourth year of grade school, my teacher showed a documentary drama about the life of the Nez Pierce chieftain "Joseph". I was so struck by the tragedy of the story that I cried uncontrollably later that night as I replayed it in my mind. I had caught a glimpse of a culture devoted to its people and in balance with the environment that I was too late to experience for myself. I believe I had a good understanding even as a school boy, that I was not seeing something perfect. There were tribal conflicts and the stories often contained a person within the tribe itself that was following the path of selfish will. What I am saying with all of this, is that I have not come by my view and opinion as a result of some trend in political correctness or recent movement. It has been with me all my life.

Setting paradoxes aside, my preference to celebrate indigenous people rather than Columbus, stems from self examination and a recognition that while those with power have achieved many great things in the world, they don't necessarily require our continued reverence in light of their practices and methods of dealing with the world. I am also prone to being sensitive to injustices being committed by our current leaders here in the U.S. and other countries. A much broader topic that I will not go into here. I haven't set my back against Mr. Columbus to affront his entire culture, creed or country. I have done it by examination of his choices. To single out one historical figure and declare him or her a villain for being a conqueror in a world of conquerors is, in my view, a bit silly, but I need not celebrate him when the native people in my life still feel cultural pain. If you are curious, here is a supporting article on the topic http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/177

I also think Columbus gets perhaps a little too much credit for 'discovering' America. http://www.whiteoutpress.com/timeless/who-really-discovered-america/ This article makes some interesting points in the closing paragraph about NOT vilifying Columbus.

I want to conclude by thanking you for your friendship and warmth. I come away with my eyes opened wider and with a fuller sense of my own opinion, thank you for calling me to self examination. I embrace you as a brother.

D Akey
10-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Interesting Fashmir. Your topic is one that pops up for me all the time. And it is perplexing.

I think you're actually correct that blood and conquest existed within the indigenous peoples of the Americas too and they are not above that which has driven all life on the planet -- life feeds on life. It's just the form it takes that makes the variations. That seems to be what has colored our existence forever, whether it's killing animals to eat or. . . sadly, we all can finish that sentence.

What we do within that milieu is probably the trick of it -- where our consciousness drives us. I look at history as an opportunity for a dialog wherein we can figure where we are, relative to things in it, and where to take it from here. And certain things pop out of history more so than others because it resonates with something inside us. It helps us discover who we are as individuals first, and how we can use our energies.

"Alpha males" have run things forever because it has spelled survival. And if their tools have been how they got into power, then it's likely they will continue to employ them or wield the threat of them as a way to sustain it until they self destruct. But that's only part of it and the other side of the coin, the more compassionate side is what makes us human, even when we have to enter into confrontation. And the balance, the fulcrum if you will, is where life happens to be by default.

I admire very much your resonance with the Native American population and their history. It's that resonance with that pain that speaks of you as a human being and suggests how you apply your energies in the world, in big cases or small and everything between. I sincerely applaud your humanity.

Caesar
10-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Dear Fashmir, thank you for such a nice, friendly and passionate reply I fully subscribe. Thank You for your most interesting link!
I'm pretty sure Columbus was not the first one to cross the Atlantic Ocean I think, since I'm sure Vikings (we knew as Normans when they settled in parts of Italy too) did before, sailing (and rowing) up to Groenland for sure and even to Canada most likely or certainly. They only missed to report it in writing and never established permanent colonies over there.
The core of my reply was just that of separating the event and achievement from the consequences attributable on some ground to Columbus, so that we may find it comfortable also to appreciate, if ot celebrate, that enterprise for its own value without an ethical contradiction or conflict.

OPTIONAL FOLLOW-ON RANT :o;)

As a matter of fact neither Marco Polo nor, later on, the Jesuit Matteo Ricci going in China were ever connected to the colonial period occurrring later on in East Asia, so I just tried to be consistent and give the burden to who possibly deserves it. This would apply also to Vasco da Gama or Magellan maybe, possibly to Cook too, I cannot say how much responsible and aware they were of consequences. That was certainly not the aim of their research and findings nor what they would pursued, Ii'm sure.
I cannot similarly say that Heisemberg, Dirac or even Enrico Fermi who tool part also specifically to the atomic bomb development program are actually more or less responsible for dropping such a lethal weapon over a couple of towns and the relevant consequences.
So it was not a matter of national pride as the driver or a component of my reply. Unfortunately in my country too we have plenty of shameful deeds historically to repent, as contrary to our general attitude we may feel to be, so no patriotic defence at all of any crime just because home country and venerable ancestyors must be honored by our deeds and achievements and not exposed to hate and contempt, as per our millenarian attitude and beliefe that anyone could become or feel "roman citizen", i.e. equal, once there's a mutual dicovery, an appreciation of what could be find here, of beauty and deep relationship so that barriers are willingly removed by realizing how much as human beings we all share.

Dear friend, believe me if I say I understand and share therefore, not only Your warm broterhood, but also Your sympathy for and empathy with those native populations, as Jesuits and some high representatives of the Church historically did against the Portuguese establishment and their outmost repeling policy with indios in Brazil (in fact I remember to have been moved very much by Blue Soldier, the movie with Candice Bergen, whatever the original title in English and by Mission).
I realize and can strongly imagine how cruelly American natives, anywhere and also more specifically in US, were swirled and blown away from overwhelming winds and forces of change, a shock and a tragedy, especially in Your continent where cultures and even civilizations and knwoledge were so much different and scarcely or not appreciated by invaders or even not willingly transmitted (as it apparently was in the case of Incas) that no compromise or softer integration model was ever found.
In my country, which happened to be the cradle of Europe as a civilized continent, where cultures, notwithstanding wars, dominations, conquests were instead eventually integrated on the Greek-Roman know-how and knowledge backbone, my ancestors suffered serious shocks as well when they progressively saw the loss of a unified world under Rome. The welfare by its spread and shared model and structures was lost and any certainty of that ancient world too, when my ancestors suffered invasions in part of all of our peninsula by almost any conqueror or migrant warrior population who often looked and acted as unconceivable barbarians in their eyes. Previously Romans behaved very fiercely and rudely as well in wartime, but they had a scope, a political vision, no ideology to destroy entire populations. Actually they always re-built conquered towns (except Carthago in that exact place for symbolic reasons), built much more and far better, for eternity, anywhere whatever was useful, provided their "natural-law" based acceptable legal frame whilst keeping most local rules and politicians in several places, as far they did not challenge the empire unity, finally they cared of the countryside, agriculture and commerce (they extinguished piracy in the Mediterranean). So there's a balance to do afterwards in a way insofar we cannot change what happened nor cancel tragedies and atrocities, only keep honestly and historically memory.
It was quite different in Central Asia, for instance, from where invasions by nomadic populations and tribes, once gathered under a chief, like Attila or Gengis Khan or Tamerlane used to carry out by far more destructive and ruinous conquests than anywhere else, including America, since they simply cancelled completely populations which did not submit as a policy and didn't care to then restoring anything.
Here in Italy though all the historical invasions and conquests during and after the Western Roman Empire fall and up to our new unity (1860) were therefore simultaneously either outmost frustrating, as You may imagine, but also, we discovered, rewarding elseway and eventually an opportunity to get a more and more complex, flexible and fitting culture and attitude. It was obviously easier for us, since we had joined together into a political and cultural unity most of today's European countries, thus representing the main cultural element and mythical place for them all. So we could collect, keep safe, restore, grow again and soon enough rebuilt our soft power (by means of our monasteries, Sea Republics, Renaissance triggered by powerful city-states and magnificent signories, for instance, triggering the same all over Europe) the base of the modern western civilization by means of a unrivalled tangible and intangible patrimony which impressed and still impresses people from anywhere.
Nonetheless no misery was spared to Italy and Italians by history, including mass immigration, not as settlers, but quite often as more or less unwanted intruders.
So, both personally and for the most genuine, traditional, historic, catholic-oriented italic spirit, I really share Your warm and deep feeling of brotherhood with You and for American natives and I highli appreciate Your sensitivity. Curiously enough I also learned that there were my fellow-countrymen working on the structures of the first sky-scrapers in New York together with native Americans (in a quite dangerous work condition I guess) and that darker skinned and haired Italians were often used to play the "bad" indians roles in the early XX Hollywood westerns.

Dear DAkey, a most interesting comment in Your usual hearty manner. I bet You used to be and most likely still are an "alpha-male" (I mean in broader terms, leadership, charisma, no specific sexual or poligamic implication which I wouldn't dare to guess ahahaha:o) at least after a short apprenticeship as a serious candidate a-m in the nursery ... LOL;):o I think that in these days in many countries, presumably in US, the alpha-males are actually mostly ladies though, but that happend also among apes in a way .:o;)
Whatever the common or ethological use of such a definition for herds primates, in Your case means also of someone who cares of mates. ;) Thank You!

Fashmir
10-16-2015, 03:38 AM
D Akey and Caesar, thank you both for your thoughts. I come away from this thread enriched. :)

Caesar
10-17-2015, 01:12 AM
Actually You deserve the merit to have made us all consider another perspective, dear mate, to discuss and to have each of us better check and assess this event actual value and "algebraic sign". Thank You again.