PDA

View Full Version : River Run and A Walk into Autumn

pat1940
09-20-2015, 09:41 AM
I did 2 versions of this painting, used some of a ref but changed a lot, hope you like them and please give your opinion which you like best

rbrews100
09-21-2015, 03:52 AM
Lovely paintings and the second one feels very magical with the change of landscape and the appearance of the girl...love them both. Well done, Pat

joey_matthews
09-21-2015, 04:03 AM
It's interesting to see how you changed between versions, I think these would look great in a frame - separated but side by side.

Both look great!

BushcraftOnFire
09-21-2015, 04:28 AM
Oh.. My.. WOW! These are gorgeous!!! I love both of them.. but I think I like the one with the girl better. It seems to draw me into the picture more.. and there's so much to look at while I'm there.. wonderful!

Enug
09-21-2015, 01:33 PM
I agree, both are beautiful Pat and my preference is for "A Walk into Autumn".

eighty+
09-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Well Pat there's. One thing for sure. You not afraid of colour ;):D Yes I think walking in the autumn is the best Ok CIAO. IVAYA. CON. DIOS.

D Akey
09-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Cool!

I would only suggest that you consider relative scale a bit in popping in a character. The trees and bushes look sort of small for nature. But other than that she's a good example of making variations using existing elements. The style and colors fit pretty nicely. Did you take the girl from another painting or is she painted for this background?

Anyway, it's one way to face the fork in the creative decision making process -- take the left and right fork and get yourself 2 paintings. :rolleyes::):):):):)

Nice ones, Pat!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

gxhpainter2
09-22-2015, 06:30 AM
wonderful work here Pat, I love mountains and you have created a beautiful set here, I like the girl as the "path" runs fairly straight and leads one into the painting as Bushcraftonfire mentioned. the one of the stream seems to run a bit too straight right out of the picture for my taste but I like the yellow bush on the left a lot so each has its own charms... well done!...:cool::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
09-22-2015, 08:37 AM
Many thanks to all of you for checking it out and giving all the comments, and which one you like best, it is so appreciated for comments and advise.
DAkey, the girl was painted long ago in another painting that I did not like, did not post it lol, so I cut out the girl and saved her for another painting, took a long time to find a canvas for her lol:D

pat1940
09-22-2015, 08:40 AM
DAkey meant to ask if I put bushes where I used the slope would it look better

D Akey
09-23-2015, 12:29 AM
DAkey meant to ask if I put bushes where I used the slope would it look better

Well, it's a tough call until you try it and see how it looks. I think there are a couple issues, that I'm not sure would bother you, but it's on my radar so I can't not see it.

1) Yeah, you could add additional vegetation to scale. I kinda like seeing the plans to the right for the colors, so I wouldn't say that a big shrub in the foreground would make the pic nicer. But you could mess around on separate layers with placing and sizing. I don't think it's a matter of knowing that one thing will fix all and that should be that. It's after all fun to putter in a painting, is the way I look at it. And varying the sizes and shapes of the shrubs is sometimes an enhancement for interest -- just to break it up with more than colors. But it's not critical.

The bigger issue is the trees on the left being so equally short and dense like they were cut as in a topiary garden. If she's that big, then the scale of trees should fit that scale somewhat. In your other paintings of buildings you could kind of get away with a looser area to put color and some strokes, because the plants were not defining the pic. But something that's so big, you could consider more definition possibly, and open them up and let them breathe a bit. Again, it's a matter of what you like. But those are some things that pop out in this new context.

2) Now this is really nit picky, but the resolution of the figure doesn't exactly match the surroundings. You can see that it's a little bit blurred, and that comes sometimes from re-scaling an element and/or being brought in from a smaller pic or something. So in a court of law, if this was introduced as evidence, showing that the girl had an alibi and could not have murdered Col Mustard in the conservatory with the lead pipe (Clue board game humor), it could be spotted by an expert as a doctored image, and you could get into serious trouble for tampering with evidence.

Hope this helps. There's nothing really wrong with your pic per say because it's clearly an artist's painting, and people normally wouldn't have the side by side comparison to show the path you took to get there.

Still and all, it's nice stuff. And your color work and painterly style has gotten to be really, really cool.

So I say Go Pat!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
09-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Thanks so much DAkey, for the great advise and I totally agree with the girl being a bit blurred, will keep all this advise in mind for future paintings

Drowfganger
09-23-2015, 02:28 AM
I acutally love both of them! Even the "blurry" girl, because it adds a dream-like feeling :)

pat1940
09-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much drowfganger, really appreciate you checking it out